How to Remove AR Coating?

Thread: How to Remove AR Coating?

How to Remove AR Coating?

I've seen references to people removing the AR coating from the outside of their sapphire crystals. How does one go about doing this? I have a Fortis Marine Master with a zillion scratches on it as well as my Damasko DA-36 and a couple of other watches as well.

I can't understand why these companies bother with this because they always will tend to get scratches no matter how hard they claim to be.
    Rotating on my wrist this month: Stowa Blue WatchTime Flieger, Sinn EZM9, Sinn T1, Sinn 556 Blue, Stowa Antea LE Polish Forums, Stowa Verus 40, Damasko DS30 greenie, Sinn U1, Stowa Antea Klassik KS Rose, Nomos Tangente Silvercut

Re: How to Remove AR Coating?

It's been covered before in several threads... try the search :)

I did. Really didn't find diddly. Why don't you educate me on the proper search terms that will magically bring up what I'm after rather than every single post mentioning AR in the past days and weeks? Because I tried several and couldn't figure it out.
    Rotating on my wrist this month: Stowa Blue WatchTime Flieger, Sinn EZM9, Sinn T1, Sinn 556 Blue, Stowa Antea LE Polish Forums, Stowa Verus 40, Damasko DS30 greenie, Sinn U1, Stowa Antea Klassik KS Rose, Nomos Tangente Silvercut

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Peter is right, the default search on many forums -- this one included -- can a bit 'shotgun' in the results. Which often makes it easier to re-ask a question than wade through thread after thread to find the one that answers the query.

Try an advanced Google search; that is, go to the regular Google page and click on the miniscule Advanced Search hyperlink to the right of the logo. Insert the search terms, for example 'remove' and 'coating', then constrain the search in the Domain line to 'forums.watchuseek.com' (don't use any of the inverted commas, of course). That is, in the box to the right of 'Only return results from the site or domain'...

To go one step further, I actually have a shortcut to the Google Advanced Search page on my desktop. It saves a few mouse clicks.

However, I have no idea how to remove your AR coating! Dreading the day when my Breitling Aerospace starts to scuff up...
    Steve

Search within the Sinn Forum Peter.
    Here's one thread:
    https://forums.watchuseek.com/showthread.php?t=54159
    "Time is the school in which we learn. Time is the fire in which we burn."

Thanks, I did finally find a few threads after searching awhile. Think I will try to pick up some of that 3 micron diamond paste and give it a try as it sounded most promising. I have several watches now with AR on the outside that have scratches to some degree or another. The Fortis I picked up recently is really bad, my U1 has one minor scratch now and my DA-36 has a few. So I'll try it on the Fortis first then do the others when they become intolerable.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Atwood View Post
    I can't understand why these companies bother with this because they always will tend to get scratches no matter how hard they claim to be.
    I think some AR coatings must be better than others. My B'ling is fairly scratched and dented - the polished inner bezel now looks like its brushed - but the crystal is totally unmarked, not a hint of a blemish in the coating. Then again it did cost several times more than your average Fortis, Sinn, Damasko etc.

Thread Information