How to remove water marks/stains from AR coated sapphire?
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By American Eagle

Thread: How to remove water marks/stains from AR coated sapphire?

Exclamation How to remove water marks/stains from AR coated sapphire?

I recently purchased a Tag Grand Carrera locally (checked with a local AD for authenticity). It's out of warranty so I paid what I thought was an excellent price considering the watch is running extremely good and very minor swirls here and there on the case/bracelet but that's about it.

It was afterwards during a good inspection, I noticed what seems like faint water spots/stains on the crystal (very hard to capture in a pic and only noticeable if you hold the watch up at an angle against some lighting). Not a big deal but now that I know it's there, it's annoying the crap outta me .

I was simply going to polish it out but then realized Tag uses double AR coating on the Carrera line. Is there any cloth/polish available that can remove these water stains off the sapphire (top coated AR) WITHOUT removing the AR on the crystal? Or my best bet is to completely remove the top AR coating (thus the water stains as well in the process)?

Thanks!

Re: How to remove water marks/stains from AR coated sapphire?

Are you sure these are water stains on the AR, or could they be spots where the AR coating has been worn off (either by water or some other means). If these are from the AR coating being worn off, the only option would be to have the outer AR coating polished off, which can be done easily enough by a professional. It's just hard for me to understand how there can be water marks on the AR if it is not an imperfection in the AR. Could it be oil residue spots or something? But they would wash off with a damp cloth...
    "The stuff that dreams are made of…" - RGM ‘801 EE Motor Barrel’

A true water stain should be readily removable by simple cleaning with a soft damp cloth. Or by using photographic lens or eyeglass cleaner. If that does not work I suspect that the used watch you bought has typical wear to the ar coating. Yes, it does wear and is vulnerable to overzealous cleaning.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

This is why I hate AR coating applied to the outside of a watch. It wears off and looks ugly while it is doing so. I don't know why so many companies seem so keen in doing so. I'd rather just have AR coating on the inside, or no AR coating at all. Seriously, until a few years ago I never had a single watch with AR coating, and I got along without it just fine. It's nice to have, but it's not a necessity...therefore if the watch is going to have it, I'd rather it be done right in the first place (only on the inside of the glass.)
    Captaincarlos likes this.
    Hamilton Khaki King
    Hamilton Thin-O-Matic
    Omega Speedmaster
    Rado Diastar
    Seiko 007
    Seiko 5 Military
    Vostok Amphibia

You can do this: take the crystal off, get the AR stripped both sides, (or just get a plain replacement) and then take it to an eyeglass lens manufacturer and have them recoat it... this time with another sapphire PVD coat on the outside of the AR. That does not scratch or wear at all... the usual problem is damage to the plastic substrate on glasses lenses, but on a sapphire that isn't going to be a problem.

Just cleaning one, though, use anything you'd use on glasses or camera lenses... there are products that will get nearly anything off without hurting the coatings.

A popular thing to do is a do-it-yourself solution of simply polishing out the entire top AR coating........without removing the crystal. That's the only thing essentially you could do with no worries of it happening again.

Some use a polish called Polywatch and a dremel tool and polishing pad to carefully polish it out on the top.....which takes just a couple minutes. You could even try a simple car polish and elbow grease and that may work too.

Thread Information