How SR (Sand Resistant) are watches?
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: How SR (Sand Resistant) are watches?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

How SR (Sand Resistant) are watches?

I'm going to be in Middle East to met up with a few friends. It's the first time I've been and they've told me off roading in the desert and other sand dune related activities are a lot of fun. Anyone know how sand resisitant a watch is? I'm told the sand is extremely fine, powder like. Much, much finer than what is found on a beach. Because of the abrasive nature of the sand, is there any danger of the sand working past the seals and getting into the movement?

Re: How SR (Sand Resistant) are watches?

If water can't get in your watch, sand certainly won't.
    VIEW MY SALES FEEDBACK>>>>​https://forums.watchuseek.com/f63/fe...l#post50434737

/¯¯l¯¯¯l¯¯[_\__\]
    l¯¯ l¯¯¯l¯¯¯L-_O|||||||O_
    ¯()_)¯¯¯¯¯¯()_)¯¯¯¯¯()_)

I would avoid wearing a watch with an external rotating bezel, and wear the watch on a rubber strap instead, to avoid the sand getting into the links.

Patek Philippe Calatrava 5119J; Vacheron Constantin Overseas; Jaeger-LeCoultre Grande Reverso Duo; Rolex Submariner 114060; Omega Seamaster 300; Montblanc Heritage Dual Time; Tudor Black Bay, Black Bay GMT.

Armida A12; Borealis Estoril; Bulova Accutron II Alpha, Moonwatch; Casio GMW-B5000D, GW-5000, GST-W310; Coach Fulton; Hamilton Khaki Field; Helson Skindiver; Orient 60th Anniversary; Seagull Tourbillon, 1963 Air Force; Seiko SNA089P, SUN025P1; Steinhart OVM; Swatch Body and Soul, Heracles, Sistem51, Uncle Charly; Victorinox Alliance, Infantry Vintage.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by falcon4311 View Post
    This was my first thought, however, sand is more abrasive than water . I probably will not be in any sand storms but the premise brought up situation I had not really thought of before.

Quote Originally Posted by mleok View Post
    I would avoid wearing a watch with an external rotating bezel, and wear the watch on a rubber strap instead, to avoid the sand getting into the links.
    Naturally, an rotating bezel is out of the question. The bracelet, however, is something I had yet to consider.
    Last edited by inkonx; April 1st, 2015 at 08:19.

when I went dune buggy driving around the desert somewhere between the emirates and oman, I simply wrapped a scarf/cloth around my arm to keep the dust away from my watch and protect it from a potential fall.

There wasn't too much of an issue either way, the sand is fine but it wasn't hanging around in the air or anything close to that.
    One watch, many opinions.

You may want to ask some military members as I suspect many of the veterans from Afghanistan/Iraq would have experience. I concur with the lack of a bezel and links. I would think a G-shock would function well, though may not fit the occasion. The only watch I wear when I'm in the desert/beach and expect that I will be hitting the sand is my beater Casio. When I'm done i rinse all the sand off the NATO and throw the whole watch in the washer and dryer.

If you hit hard enough a grain of sand can probably get pushed under the crown. I've had a grain of sand lodge into the hole for the pusher of my Casio before. Personally I'd be more worried about abrasions on the case and crystal from the sand.
    Current Collection - | Ball | Bvlgari | Casio | Citizen | Credor | Girard-Perregaux | Graham | Gübelin | Hamilton | Jaeger-LeCoultre | Longines | Minase | Mühle Glashütte | NOMOS Glashütte | Omega | Rolex | Seiko | Undone | Vacheron Constantin | Victorinox Swiss Army |
    Mulling Over - | Minase Horizon | Reservoir |
    On deck - | Omega Speedmaster Apollo 11 50th Anniversary |

I would take a non rotating bezel watch and throw it on a Gasgasbones or equivalent Velcro strap and proceed to have a blast (no pun intended).

Is this anothe April fools thread??
    Perseus likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by falcon4311 View Post
    You would think that, yet motorcycle driving on the beach in Daytona routinely have sand making its way in their tires while not loosing any air pressure. My guess is that the fine sand forces its way mechanically while air can't; but it is just a guess.
    Last edited by bullshark; April 1st, 2015 at 09:43.

28A

Do you REALLY need a watch on when your going to be dune buggying?

I know some of you have a hard time imagining a moment without a watch on, but it is do-able.

If you're that concerned about the time, buy a 5 dollar watch from a servo or supermarket and use that and throw it away afterwards.
    Ahriman4891 likes this.
    Nick.

Divers - June 1977 Seiko 6309-7040 Quartz Hybrid | March 1978 Seiko 7548-700H (Orange Dial) in a 6309-7040 case | February 1972 Seiko 6105-8110 | Seiko 7548 "Tuna" TST | October 1985 Seiko H558-5000 "Arnie" | Scurfa Stainless Steel.

Chronographs - July 1972 Seiko 6139-6005 (True Pogue).

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information