How tacky would it be to wear a dive watch in a formal setting?
Like Tree291Likes

Thread: How tacky would it be to wear a dive watch in a formal setting?

Page 1 of 19 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast
    I've seen this subject talked about a few times on here; how tacky would it be to wear a stainless diver under your suit jacket at a formal occasion?

Before you poo poo the idea completely, realize the future King of England seems to think it's perfectly fine. I think he pulls it off too.
    https://www.instagram.com/p/BzlHhZylvwT/

Re: How tacky would it be to wear a dive watch in a formal setting?

Dive watch in formal setting? No. But that photo in your post isn’t of formalwear.

Business (suit), sure. Black tie...eh, sure, why not, it’s a party. Formal, as in white tie and tails? I wouldn’t, but that’s me.

How tacky would it be to wear a dive watch in a formal setting?

If that’s his Omega Seamaster I read it was a gift from his mother Diana. He may wear it more or less continuously in memory of her. That’s a laudable sentiment. And while there is a place for dress watches in formal settings attitudes are more relaxed today. I wear my Omega SMPc and other divers to the office all the time.
    ffritz, tamns7, Tommywine0 and 2 others like this.
    We may be lost but we're making good time.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

It's 2019, there are no rules anymore, fashion or otherwise. You can do or wear whatever you want, anytime you want, anywhere you want. If you feel like wearing a clown wig, Speedos and flip flops to a funeral, go for it, you be you, march to the beat of your own drum, don' let the fashion police tell you what to do, yada...yada...yada...
    DiverBob, leo1790, ffritz and 12 others like this.
    Check out my "Watch of the Week" on Instagram.

If you do whatever you want, then where is the respect and nod to horological heritage and tradition?
    I consider myself a fairly progressive person, but part of the enjoyment of the watch hobby to me is respecting that tradition (meaning follow some of the "etiquette" rules and respect the brands and their achievements).
    rfortson, VicLeChic and Sebast975 like this.
    Seulement, il faut du temps pour être heureux. Beaucoup de temps. Le bonheur lui aussi est une longue patience. - Only, it takes time to be happy. A lot of time. Happiness, too, is a long patience.

That's not formal, that's semi-formal at the most, or a really dressy level of informal/business formal.

The average person will never be in a white tie setting, it's a dying tradition. The average person will probably only be in black tie in his wedding(s).

Bottomline is if you're not in a bowtie, wear whatever.

I live in Los Angeles, where getting dressed up amounts to wearing a shirt with a collar but I still get the yips when people refer to a business or summer suit as "formal wear." The East Coast snob in me did not die as quickly as I'd hoped when I relocated to America's pool house.
    Last edited by LosAngelesTimer; 1 Week Ago at 10:24.

Heuer Autavia Heritage Caliber 02 Farer Lander GMT
    Oak & Oscar Jackson Oris Divers 65
    Junghans Meister Telemeter Seiko Turtle SRP777
    Longines Heritage Chronograph 1973 Seiko 6106-8100 Sports Diver
    Alpina ​Startimer Pilot Manufacture Lorier Hydra

Quote Originally Posted by Brush diver View Post
    I've seen this subject talked about a few times on here; how tacky would it be to wear a stainless diver under your suit jacket at a formal occasion?

Before you poo poo the idea completely, realize the future King of England seems to think it's perfectly fine. I think he pulls it off too.
    https://www.instagram.com/p/BzlHhZylvwT/
    No one cares within reason. I.E Rolex Sub and Speedy or any normal dive watch / tool watch and suit... no one will notice or care.

But 50mm Invicta, spray tan PVD fake diamond encrusted fashion watch, or rubber armored G-Shock... that's a no
    Core Collection:
    H. Moser & Cie Venture Small Seconds 2327-0402, Omega Aqua Terra 231.53.39.21.06.002, JLC Reverso Flyback Chrono 255.182, JLC Reverso Grande Taille 270.3.62, Rolex OP 1966 1002, Ulysee Nardin Perpetual GMT 321-22, Longines Conquest 1959, Hamilton Electric Spectra 1957, Citizen AQ 4020–54Y, Bulova Accutron Astronaut

Silly question. Can anyone relay one instance where a sport model watch was worn, and they failed to get the job, they were asked to leave an event, they were heckled by strangers, etc? Of course not. Let’s worry about real first world problems, like, is the McRib really gone?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Rolex Datejust, Bell & Ross BR01-96, Hamilton Jazzmaster, Steinhart Ocean One, Seiko 5

Quote Originally Posted by Grégoire View Post
    It's 2019, there are no rules anymore, fashion or otherwise. You can do or wear whatever you want, anytime you want, anywhere you want. If you feel like wearing a clown wig, Speedos and flip flops to a funeral, go for it, you be you, march to the beat of your own drum, don' let the fashion police tell you what to do, yada...yada...yada...
    yet you come off as disapproving....

Page 1 of 19 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Thread Information