How tough is the average quartz watch?

Thread: How tough is the average quartz watch?

How tough is the average quartz watch?

so... How tough is the average analog quartz watch? Like seiko or bulova or a nice invicta? What is their breaking point?

Re: How tough is the average quartz watch?

Quote Originally Posted by Payton94 View Post
    so... How tough is the average analog quartz watch? Like seiko or bulova or a nice invicta? What is their breaking point?
    "nice Invicta", oxymoron, lol. To be honest I have no idea, I can't wait to hear some answers from the experts.
    Collection:
    Vacheron Constantin Overseas
    JLC Deep Sea Chrono
    Breguet Marine Grande Date
    Tudor Black Bay Black
    Omega Speedmaster 3570.50

Check the specs for G-Shocks which I think will take up to 10G impacts. I'd expect the average quartz watch to be less than that. If you beat on any watch you can break it.

There are fathers who do not love their children; there is no grandfather who does not adore his grandson. ~ Victor Hugo

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

The least amount of moving parts, the more reliable....

I don't know how you want to measure toughness. Presumably it is resistance to damage from impact. The weak point of a mechanical movement is of course the escapement so an analog quartz movement would be tougher and a digital quartz would be even more tougher than the mechanical.

Most(swiss,atleast) movements are tough enough to stand falls of more than 6 feet.I wouldn't be so sure about the crystal though.

This is a little off topic, but I remember the old G-shock commercials. It was a guy hitting the g-shock with a hockey stick full speed. I actually found a g-shock back then laying by the post of a basketball court. Since I didn't care about it, and didn't know any better, we used to abuse that thing just like the commercial for fun. I must have knocked that thing off its rocker at least 10 times... threw it, hit it with a bat etc. It never missed a beat. So amazing to me now. That watch ended up lasting over 10 years too, all while going into the ocean maybe 4 days out of a week and never taking it off. Amazing. It never even broke too. The bolts that held the black rubber casing on the outside broke off 1 by 1, until i had none left and the casing fell off. I took it to a jeweler, but he said it would be too hard to fix. That thing was simply amazing.

This is what that watch looked like, although i'm not sure if that is the exact model. Amazing piece.

Name:  100_0010a.jpg
Views: 268
Size:  67.3 KB
    Last edited by oogabooga; August 28th, 2012 at 17:07.

Quote Originally Posted by John MS View Post
    I don't know how you want to measure toughness. Presumably it is resistance to damage from impact. The weak point of a mechanical movement is of course the escapement so an analog quartz movement would be tougher and a digital quartz would be even more tougher than the mechanical.
    Agree with this. Mechanical shock protection is largely to prevent a broken balance staff. An analog quartz watch doesn't have this, the gear train moves slowly and is not under tension. As a result, a quartz analog will be significantly more robust.

There are fathers who do not love their children; there is no grandfather who does not adore his grandson. ~ Victor Hugo

Thread Information