WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

How would You define the word "Rare"?

4K views 74 replies 49 participants last post by  Nokie 
#1 ·
When you look at listings for watches (both new and used) you see the term "rare" or "very rare" used a lot. But I think of rare as more associated with stamps and coins. A small mistake in printing a set of stamps, or gold coins found on a 17th century shipwreck are perhaps rare.

Most watch manufacturers can't wait to turn out a run of Limited Edition watches with a production range of just a few to thousands. But does that make them Rare or just Limited Editions. In your opinion can something new be rare or does it need to be older to be considered rare?

What watches do you think are defined as rare?

#4 ·
Certainly doesn;t need to be old, hard to argue the 8 orange platinum Planet Ocean watches aren't rare. I do also think rare is touchy feely since it is hard to put an exact number on it along with the fact it is hard to say exactly how many watches of a particular type still exist. When I see a LE of say 4,000 listed as rare and I know they sat in dealers for years unsold rare in that situation means little. When I see a mint (real) Comex Sea Dweller I "know" it is rare. Honestly the word rare in auctions or sale listings mean nothing to me, unless I am looking for it and I know it is rare then it isn't even relevant.

Reactions: Eleuthera
#7 ·
Again, while some would call any of the Rolex COMEX's rare, others would not since I believe they were made for a period of 27 years. Also, some would say the Rolex "Red Sub" is rare, while others would not. Certainly both the COMEX and Red Sub come up for sale frequently, just a higher prices.

#5 ·
IMO way too many LE's out there at the moment.

Some can justifiably be called rare, but very few.

I own a few LE's and very happy to have them, but I'm under no illusion that just because they are limited runs does not make them rare or 'hunted' for by fellow WIS'ers.

I own one in particular that whilst had a very short run doesn't nesaccarily make it any more valuable.

But it also contains a rare movement, and whilst I love the aesthetics of the watch I also appreciate the movement inside is one not often seen and that clinched the deal for me.

Got to be very lucky or savvy these days to pick up a 'true' rarity.

#10 ·
I bought a Mido Ocean Star Commander Datoday that was marketed as somewhat rare since it actually had numbers at 2, 4, 6, 8, 10 & 12 instead of the normal stick or dot markers.

It turned out to be somewhat true. I'm not sure about how Rare it is however.

#11 ·
I define rare as something that you cannot buy new or NOS no matter how much you're willing to pay and you have to buy it used or not at all. Usually the watch is discontinued and comes up for sale very infrequent, say once or twice a year across all the various watch selling platforms, wus and other watch forums, ebay, chrono24, watchrecon, etc.

However, most times I see it in a sales thread it just a buzzword used by the seller to make the watch sound more desirable.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

#15 ·
Eh?
Rare already has a definition.
Hmm, maybe better to say that there are a set of definitions as there are some differences related to context but the overall meaning is, or should be understood.

What I see, is conflating "rare" with "collectible", "desirable", in demand or (highly) valuable and in typical WIS fashion, "better".

I have a couple of watches that are rare but are not in demand nor very valuable and in the scale of the products from the same company, not very good. One, I have no idea how many were ever made but I've only ever seen one other example of it on sale over the past five years of looking. Maybe there are 2000 other ones hidden in peoples' drawers.

#16 ·
Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Material property

Rolex 4113. 12 produced, none for sale. "RARE"

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Jewellery

Rolex 6263. Thousands produced, hundreds for sale. Not "RARE"

Excuse me, waiter is the roast beef rare?
No sir, it can been found at most restaurants.

Reactions: rossi46
#19 ·
View attachment 7575018

Rolex 4113. 12 produced, none for sale. "RARE"

View attachment 7575058

Rolex 6263. Thousands produced, hundreds for sale. Not "RARE"

Excuse me, waiter is the roast beef rare?
No sir, it can been found at most restaurants.
You, my friend, are too modest! A clean 6263 is pretty rare in my book given the cost of admission, condition and presence of Franken watches and outright fakes. What a beauty.

#17 ·
No watches are truly rare in this day and age. Even PP is making them by the tens of thousands per year. At the price point that these 'exclusive' manufactures are charging, they should at least restrict their production to less than 50 per year to have any collectors value.

#21 ·
While not easy, it still is possible to go the bespoke route. Independent makers can make custom pieces, and maybe even the trinity would do that for you if you truly have the big bucks. My custom RGM 801 will be 1 of 1 when it is completed in a few weeks...

#18 ·
I think you (OP) want to differentiate those that use RARE as a marketing ploy from those that are ACTUALLY selling a rare object.

A rare item is pretty much something that you don't get to see often. It'll either be something you'll never find on the market, or rarely find on the market.

#20 · (Edited)
If I can go to Ebay with a 95% chance of finding at least one for sale, it's not rare. Rare is in the eye of the beholder but people are generally just trying to say they are hard to find. On rare occasions, it actually means that few exist.

As others have pointed out, rare does not always mean desirable or valuable. Unless it was a limited edition, rare may simply mean it didn't sell well.

#23 · (Edited)
I recently sold this 18ct. pocket watch ( hallmarked London 1864 ), what made it rare for me was that the fusee movement was signed JR&W Laing ,Glasgow. This firm still trades very successfully in Glasgow but at a different address. Although I think one is unlikely to find another it is not particularly valuable.

Attachments

#24 ·
I think a true "Rare" must come from an very established manufacturer, who either makes a prototype for some reason or a very limited production number, or where many were produced but few remain over the years. I tend to think that a "1 of 1" is more of a Custom piece than a Rare piece. But perhaps over time...

Is the PP 5002P rare, expensive, or both?

#28 ·
How would You define the word "Rare"?

Of which we have no photographic proof that it actually exists. :)

Only 100 of these were made, and they are hard to find:

But they look nearly exactly like a regular production model.

And they are not in particular demand.

But they are indeed rare.

The word "rare" does mean "valuable", which is why a news reporter would say "rare and valuable" instead of just "rare" if needing both facts for a story. Ad copy writers are not news reporters.

Rick "research, research, research" Denney

#50 ·
Well I'd think you could have a truly rare watch, but with a common movement. In that case, repair may not be a problem.

#33 ·
Re: How would You define the word "Rare"?

Nowadays with the advent of the Internet it is much easier to find out what is and is not rare.
I have owned some watches over the years which were no doubt rare. I still own some that I would have no problem
describing as rare. When I do an extensive search of the Web and do not see another one like it in someone's collection
or offered for sale, it is safe to say it is rare. It may not be in much demand because it is not hyped by numerous
watch dealers. To hype a model you have to have a ready supply to satisfy the demand.
With American pocket watches there is a pretty good database that shows how many of particular grade were manufactured
in any particular year. So if you see a watch offered for sale and described as rare, do your own search and see, if you
are interested to buy that is.

#36 ·
Re: How would You define the word "Rare"?

^^ Indeed. Most rare items are rare precisely because they were not (and often still are not) desirable. So they did not sell, were destroyed, etc. "Rare" does not imply that an item is desirable or valuable, although many sellers seem to think that it does.

#40 ·
Actually, that's as good a definition as any. The more rare something is, the more a buyer must be prepared to pounce, with less regard for price, when one becomes available.

High demand doesn't make it more or less rare, it just raises the price.

Rick "thinking it funny that people would take any adjective on eBay at face value" Denney

#41 ·
As said by so many, already, "rare" (aka "... only 5,000 made !") is sadly waayyy over used in used and some new watch sales. I'm with respondents who raise a red flag when it is used in a listing or presentation. Then, if after homework indicates its use doesn't meet reasonable interpretation, I become suspect of what else the seller has spouted.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.