How would your view change if certain watches costs 10% of what they do?
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: How would your view change if certain watches costs 10% of what they do?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

How would your view change if certain watches costs 10% of what they do?

Let's say every watch was at 10% of what is a fair price now, how would your views change?

To me, higher end brands (let's say watches at $10,000 or above) would go from the "never will own" category to serious consideration (if I liked the looks first and foremost and there was no serious things I couldn't get over visually, for example as long as I have few watches, I'd go full SS, personal choice), 2 that stick out to me would be AP and the VC Overseas models (though in the case of VC, size would need to be upped a bit for personal taste)

Lower end luxury brands (less than $10,000, usually quite a bit less (let's sayaverage $5000 or less), unless the watch had "special qualities", things usually reserved for much more expensive watches), would likely become must haves if I agreed with their looks, most Omegas i like looks wise would go in this category for me

Watches up to around $3000 max (averaging $1500), I would more than likely skip past in most instances, especially since I only like the looks of a few designs on the lower end of the price spectrum, namely certain Omegas would be taken highly under consideration, and I would go crazy over Breitling, I would also consider a few Tudors, Rolex would have to become about 10% bigger watches to consider, if Tag Heuers were under $1000 for certain models, I might consider them.

I know I'm being quite vague and certainly categories could bleed into each other (and most people probably have a slightly different idea on price range brackets), but I thought it would be interesting to see how your views would change if prices were way less.

This all being theoretical and far from my current views.

Edit: let's extend it to all watches, I realize my title is vague.
    Last edited by Tyrantblade; October 22nd, 2016 at 07:40.
    TJ Boogie likes this.

Re: How would your view change if certain watches costs 10% of what they do?

To be honest, it wouldn't do anything for me. My buying styles are at the cheap (ie <AUD$300) and higher ends (AUD$5000-15000) ends of the market. The bits in the middle, in my thoughts anyway, are neither here nor there. Id rather go all out or not at all.

What that means is, a 10% variation on price wouldn't make it a deal maker or breaker. If I find it hard to justify 10% off the cost I know I shouldn't be buying the watch in the first place.

I would be utterly chuffed and end up with a frightful amount of watches.
    I would not love them any less. I might end up with 10x more watches.
    Either that or my budget would stay the same but I would just get nicer ones.
    “If we could be satisfied with anything, we should have been satisfied long ago.”
    ― Seneca

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I think my frame of mind would be completely different to the point where spending 2000 will seem like an absurd amount for a high end watch when a decent quality watch is 'suppose' to cost $500.
    pook187 likes this.
    :)

14060m, 16200, Pam48, AT8500, El Primero 1969, Speedy FOIS, Antea KS, Orion Minimatik, ST8000SA Tourbillon, Zeppelin 7618-1

want: ALS Saxonia, PP Nautilus,

10% price reduction ($5000 - $500 = $4500 new price) or 10% of current MSRP ($5000 becomes $500)? I think you mean the latter, yes/no?
    A.Lange & Sohne * Audemars Piguet * Blancpain * Cartier * Dornblueth & Sohne * Invicta * Jaeger-LeCoultre * Meraud * Rolex * Revolution Watch Company * Tudor

"the deeper the roots, the higher the reach" - author unknown

Yesterday I was clever, so I wanted to change the world. Today I am wise, so I am changing myself. - Rumi

I would probably have watches that were 10x nicer, rather than 10x as many watches.
    Metlin, UberDave and Sevenmack like this.
    Brad (@bradwatch)
    - appreciating fine affordable watches since 2011

Moderator at Large stuffler,mike's Avatar

My view would not change. However, I'd own a Tourbillon then.
    X-Tian, Vlance and oztech like this.
    Kind regards
    Mike

Instagram @mikestuffler

Good question Tyrantblade. I wonder if some of the most popular iconic, timeless watches would still be fervently embraced... Would they still have their cult-like followings?
    At this point in life with a mortgage etc., I can't afford high end watches. But I'm still a bit of a watch snob in regards to value:cost ratio. I'd still go after the best 'bang for the buck' watch at 1/10th the cost, and like BradJHomes said - I'd have 10x nicer watches.
    Sevenmack likes this.

If this was like "normal", like I didn't know any better, I think my views on watches would be completely different. Seikos would be the "junk" watches I wouldn't even consider, Rolex would be my daily beater, and I would own a few nice Pateks and/or AP. Richard Mille would slide into that like AP/Patel range which might be achievable someday.

If if I woke up tomorrow and prices were that much cheaper, I'd definitely pick up a few nice watches, but unless the resale value on my watches now for some reason didn't change, I probably would just buy like a Patek or two and call it a day.

Quote Originally Posted by drhr View Post
    10% price reduction ($5000 - $500 = $4500 new price) or 10% of current MSRP ($5000 becomes $500)? I think you mean the latter, yes/no?

I think he meant a reduction of a factor of 10.

A £5000 watch will cost £500.

If this were true I would probably buy a high end Breitling quartz (if they are available in size 40-41 mm).

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread Information