WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

How you decide if a watch fits

2K views 16 replies 16 participants last post by  dbakiva 
#1 ·
I have seen a million explanations on how people determine if a watch is too big or too small, but what criteria do you use?

Only no lug overhang?

Some comparison between body size and case thickness?

Or is it just completely arbitrary?

I will include some pictures of a watch that 50% of the time I think is too big, and others I think it just fits... And, yes, I know pictures can distort size.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

See less See more
#8 · (Edited)
I think it is difficult, especially when trying on a watch at an AD with an unsized bracelet. For me comfort is key, some watches just feel right on my wrist and to get a feel for that you really need to wear a watch for an extended period of time.

I had the same Sinn 104 in the OP and was in the same boat trying to feel out if it was too big or not. I ended up selling it because I thought it wore a bit too large for my wrist, however, I kept my SKX007 which is actually larger but feels better on my wrist. IMO the biggest problem with the Sinn wasn't purely its size, but large crown and crown guards. When I sold the Sinn I was planing on replacing it with the new Zodiac Seawolf reissue which comes in 2mm smaller, but I can't find anywhere to try on the Zodiac and I am a bit concerned with the lug length which looks long for the case size, the same reason I let my 38mm Hamilton khaki field go.

I have found that larger watches tend to grow uncomfortable throughout the day causing me to remove the watch for periods of time. Realizing that smaller watches are more comfortable for longer lengths of time is the main factor in me shifting towards smaller watches, so for me it isn't all about all about looks. When I first got my midsize SMP 2551.80 I was concerned that it looked small on my wrist, it has since become my go to daily wearer due in no small part to the fact that it wears more comfortable than any other watch I've owned.

#11 ·
Overhang looking straight on at the watch. I noticed if you look at it at an angle, there's always overhang (unless its a very small watch). Also comfort as someone else mentioned. I had a watch that looked fine but I would move it every few hours and ended up selling that.

#13 ·
Having small wrist and like the fun, true fit never come across my mind. I buy watches design I like, pieces I like to own. Even though a watch might be over size like 50mm, such as Seiko Tuna Emperor, I'll buy it and wear it anyway. That is how much I love watches. stuff I wear may be an eye sore to other to see, but hey, its not other people's money I am spend needing their approval. I buy what I like. If you don't like what you see, so be it. I aint judging what you wear too.

#14 ·
I think it depends. I have 6 5/8" wrists and have two 42mm watches. One I think wears smaller and i like the other wears a big bigger and I'm considering selling. Bug the lug overhang on the wrist is a good overall guideline for me. I think a shorter lug to lug length can make a large watch seem small.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.