WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Hows this for a 2 piece collection?

406 views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  mpalmer 
#1 ·
Ive completely gone off the idea of owning a large collection of watches. I avoid low end pieces (but have a soft spot for Seiko, Citizen, G Shock), and only want to own 2 or 3 watches to see me through life.

Currently I own a radio controlled G-Shock, which acts as a beater, and a Tudor Pelagos (ETA) which has been my daily wearer since last summer.

Next I want to add a classier, dressier piece. I was toying with the idea of a Rolex Explorer 1, but to be honest I dont want to weigh myself down with service costs. It will cost me a few hundred pounds to get the Tudor serviced by Rolex every 5 years, which is reasonable. I dont want to add a second piece that will require a service costing more than double that.

My current top pick for a second watch is a Grand Seiko Quartz, either the day/date version or the date version, 37mm case, champagne dial (I like all the dial colours, and my choice is subject to change). You seem to get a really well finished quality watch that will last a life time, its a much smaller size than the Tudor, and has a light coloured dial, its almost a polar opposite. I think they really compliment each other well. Truth be told if I love wearing the GS, the Tudor may get sold and replaced with a cheaper dive watch to use as a holiday watch, and just wear the Grand Seiko daily.

Let me know your thoughts!

GS model numbers = SBGX063, SBGT035, SBGX059

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
I'm very much in the same boat as you. I have a beater g shock, my main daily wear is a tag aquaracer and now I'm going for a dressier piece. I just can't pass up a Rolex though.

For quartz offerings however, grand Seiko is a good choice, as well as maybe trying to source a previous generation omega Aqua Terra quartz (the current version has a cheap looking printed dial and logo).

I would try some different straps on the pelagos rather than sell it though. I dressed my aquaracer down with a rubber strap and some NATOs

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.