Hows this for a 2 piece collection?

Thread: Hows this for a 2 piece collection?

Hows this for a 2 piece collection?

Ive completely gone off the idea of owning a large collection of watches. I avoid low end pieces (but have a soft spot for Seiko, Citizen, G Shock), and only want to own 2 or 3 watches to see me through life.

Currently I own a radio controlled G-Shock, which acts as a beater, and a Tudor Pelagos (ETA) which has been my daily wearer since last summer.

Next I want to add a classier, dressier piece. I was toying with the idea of a Rolex Explorer 1, but to be honest I dont want to weigh myself down with service costs. It will cost me a few hundred pounds to get the Tudor serviced by Rolex every 5 years, which is reasonable. I dont want to add a second piece that will require a service costing more than double that.

My current top pick for a second watch is a Grand Seiko Quartz, either the day/date version or the date version, 37mm case, champagne dial (I like all the dial colours, and my choice is subject to change). You seem to get a really well finished quality watch that will last a life time, its a much smaller size than the Tudor, and has a light coloured dial, its almost a polar opposite. I think they really compliment each other well. Truth be told if I love wearing the GS, the Tudor may get sold and replaced with a cheaper dive watch to use as a holiday watch, and just wear the Grand Seiko daily.

Let me know your thoughts!

GS model numbers = SBGX063, SBGT035, SBGX059

Re: Hows this for a 2 piece collection?

I'm very much in the same boat as you. I have a beater g shock, my main daily wear is a tag aquaracer and now I'm going for a dressier piece. I just can't pass up a Rolex though.

For quartz offerings however, grand Seiko is a good choice, as well as maybe trying to source a previous generation omega Aqua Terra quartz (the current version has a cheap looking printed dial and logo).

I would try some different straps on the pelagos rather than sell it though. I dressed my aquaracer down with a rubber strap and some NATOs
    Last edited by G26okie; March 27th, 2016 at 23:42.
    Class: Rolex Oyster Perpetual 39
    Avant-garde: Tag Heuer 01 Carrera Skeleton
    Aquatic: Omega Seamaster Pro 300m
    Tool: G-Shock Gulfman

Ard

Sounds good to me. If and when a fellow finds one or 2 watches that obviously are all he needs I'm with you 100%. Currently I have 4 and someday will be down to three.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

There certainly aren't many nicer quartz watches, so if the Grand Seiko meets your needs, roll with it. Enjoy!
    "The stuff that dreams are made of…" - RGM ‘801 EE Motor Barrel’

Thread Information