Hugo boss -> Movado watch?

Thread: Hugo boss -> Movado watch?

Confused Hugo boss -> Movado watch?

Hello

this is my first post and I just registered at this site because I have a question and I surely need advices from watch experts or enthusiasts. I want to buy a Hugo Boss watch (I know its a fashion watch), I have read this thread but still after what I read in Wikipedia, Movado built the watches for Hugo boss.

I'm an Hugo boss fan and it would be great if I could match the watch with my rest clothes, but I'd rather buy Tissot or Hamilton if the Boss watch using chinese engine. If the engine is Movado / swiss made, than I will buy it, if not, I won't buy it. Do you guys have some source or links (not just opinions) about whether the engine in this watch a movado engine or a chinese engine?

Anyway, this is the watch in question:

Hugo Boss - 1512374 - Gents Watch - Self-Winding Automatic - Silver Dial - Stainless Steel Silver Strap: Amazon.co.uk: Watches

from Wikipedia: Movado - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Code:
    Movado Group, Inc. designs, manufactures, and distributes Movado, Ebel, Concord, ESQ by Movado, Coach, Hugo Boss, Lacoste, Juicy Couture and Tommy Hilfiger watches worldwide.

Thanks in advance for your advices / opinions / sources

Regards

Re: Hugo boss -> Movado watch?

I don't have any solid sources to confirm this but I'm willing to bet that the movement is not Swiss. Regardless...since you seem to have a slight inclination towards a Tissot or Hamilton...let me be the first to tell you that those two brands will be a HUGE step up from the Hugo Boss watch.

Moderator at Large stuffler,mike's Avatar

The fact that Hugo Boss is a brand under the umbrella of the Movado Group does not necessarily mean it is produced by Movado Watches. I can't remember an automatic swiss made movement with a small second at 9. So I guess it might be fitted with a non swiss movement. Furthermore you should note that the watch comes with a mineral crystal which - with regard to the price - should be made out of sapphire. Go Hamilton or Tissot.
    Kind regards
    Mike

Instagram @mikestuffler

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Thanks for the quick replies, guys

I fully realize that Tissot and Hamilton make more valuable watches, but sadly, based on my experience , most of the "common" people out there assume that the boss one is "better" (in their opinion) because it has "BOSS" on it... To be honest, I just knew the Hamilton branding only a month ago, when I was starting to look for a new watch

Can anyone definitely say that the boss watch has a chinese movement? Or maybe someone disassembled a boss watch and saw the chinese machine in it? Or a valid document? It would save me a lot of confusion, because if it's the case, I will go to Hamilton / Tissot immediately.

Quote Originally Posted by dwichagi View Post

I fully realize that Tissot and Hamilton make more valuable watches, but sadly, based on my experience , most of the "common" people out there assume that the boss one is "better" (in their opinion) because it has "BOSS" on it...

Dude....

Why do you even care about impressing "common people"?

The really important question is: What watch do you like and can you afford?

-Ken
    Last edited by ken_sturrock; September 1st, 2011 at 19:45.

Quote Originally Posted by dwichagi View Post

Can anyone definitely say that the boss watch has a chinese movement? Or maybe someone disassembled a boss watch and saw the chinese machine in it? Or a valid document? It would save me a lot of confusion, because if it's the case, I will go to Hamilton / Tissot immediately.
    Doubtful that anyone here has looked at the movement or has any documentation. If you hung out around here you would know to pay more attention to Mr. Stuffler's comment.

Besides...common people aren't even worth impressing. Why deny yourself a quality watch over a bunch of simpletons?

Moderator at Large stuffler,mike's Avatar

Think the other way round. If this BOSS embodies a swiss movement all seller would mention that don't you think. But nobody does...it is automatic....it is self-winding...it is mechanical.... I couldn't find a sales ad stating it is fitted with a Swiss movement. Food for thoughts.
    Kind regards
    Mike

Instagram @mikestuffler

deleted
    Last edited by dwichagi; September 18th, 2011 at 22:35.

Movado's watches are mostly quartz (they do have some watch designs with mechanical movements, typically ETA 2824, though), and this suggests to me that they are unlikely to use these same movements in the watches they are contracted to design but instead, for retail reasons, are likely to use cheaper movements that are sourced from China and perhaps less frequently Japan. It seems to me that if they use Swiss mechanical movements so infrequently in their own name brand models, they are certainly not going to use them in "lesser" brand names that are under their corporate umbrella.

You might occasionally find a Swiss quartz in a Movado-contracted brand, but even this seems unlikely.
    Last edited by ecthelion; January 30th, 2012 at 22:25.
    "Small minds discuss people, average minds discuss events; great minds discuss ideas."

As of 2019.05.17:

Victorinox Swiss Army Dive Master 500 #241421 Chronograph (reserve, exercise, outdoors stuff)
    Omega ref. 166.0117, 1020 mvt., stainless steel (reserve)
    Orient Ray II (daily beater)
    Stuhrling Original Montague mechanical (modified; daily beater)

...and a number of no-name watches for parts and tinkering

Thread Information