The hunt for a Monnin case dive watch
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: The hunt for a Monnin case dive watch

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

The hunt for a Monnin case dive watch

The Monnin case style dive watches are interesting and from a historical perspective did save Heuer during the quartz crisis. Being a James Bond fan, I have always fancied owning a Heuer 1000 series automatic watch (Heuer Night diver in the Living Daylights) but @ over 1k US$ for a watch in an average condition, it does seem like a distant dream for now.
    I have been hunting for one of these watches on the forum sales thread and did come across some examples of a Monnin case dive watch. I am looking for something with the following specs:

1. Case size - 39 mm to 42 mm
    2. Movement – Auto or Quartz
    3. Budget – 500 US$

The Monnin style case brands/watches I know - Heur/Tag Heuer, Zodiac, Technos, Felca/Geota, Aristo, CWC,

A couple of questions:
    [1] Would it be possible to swap the hands/dial of a quartz 40mm Technos Sky Diver/Zodiac Red Dot with a replacement/compatible Heuer set ? (assuming the movements are the same)
    [2] What are the movement variants currently available for Monnin Cased dive watches ? (quartz & auto movement variants)

I am ok with modern/current production examples having the Monnin Styled case. Please share your suggestions/recommendations.
    Last edited by Abhishek.b27; June 8th, 2019 at 14:02.
    brandon\ likes this.
    Everything or Nothing!

Re: The hunt for a Monnin case dive watch

If I'm not mistaken, CWC adopted Monnin style cases and are still selling watches with that case style today in both automatic or quartz forms.
    Powered by 1.21 Gigawatts

And if a CWC is a bit out of budget (when new they appear to be, though I'd think you wouldn't have any trouble finding a used example), or you don't like the welded/fixed strap bars on the CWC, the Timefactors PRS-3 also uses that case design and can be had new in within a $500 budget fitted with an ETA 2824-2 automatic movement.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Also, check out the modern line up of Zodiac. Great value.

Quote Originally Posted by TwentiethCenturyFox View Post
    Also, check out the modern line up of Zodiac. Great value.
    None of the current (post revival) Zodiacs are using the Monnin style cases. You'd have to go vintage.

For those wonder, this is what a Monnin-style case is (using a vintage Zodiac, since we're talking about them):

(not my photo)

This case design was also used for the Chronosport SeaQuartz 30 made famous by Magnum PI.
    Nikita70 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by MX793 View Post
    None of the current (post revival) Zodiacs are using the Monnin style cases. You'd have to go vintage.

For those wonder, this is what a Monnin-style case is (using a vintage Zodiac, since we're talking about them):

(not my photo)

This case design was also used for the Chronosport SeaQuartz 30 made famous by Magnum PI.
    Thanks again for the suggestion. Do the zodiac red dot divers come in 39-42mm?? I saw a few examples in 38 mm.

I forgot about the chronosport.
    Everything or Nothing!

Quote Originally Posted by Abhishek.b27 View Post
    Thanks again for the suggestion. Do the zodiac red dot divers come in 39-42mm?? I saw a few examples in 38 mm.

I forgot about the chronosport.
    I'm honestly not that familiar with them. They may have only come in 38.

If you want a more recent watch rather than vintage, I'd look for a Precista PRS-3. 42mm, ETA2824 movement, and you can get them new from Timefactors for around $450 (USD). Like the CWC, they are modeled after British military dive watches, but without the fixed bars of the CWC.
    Abhishek.b27 likes this.