I’d like your opinion on the aesthetics of these “off-brand” considerations - Page 6
Like Tree106Likes

Thread: I’d like your opinion on the aesthetics of these “off-brand” considerations

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Re: I’d like your opinion on the aesthetics of these “off-brand” considerations

Quote Originally Posted by Denizen View Post
    Watch 1 is the least offensive of the lot. Kinda reminds me of a GP if you lose the roman.
    Lol, that’s what I’m shooting for...”least offensive”.

Just out of curiosity, let’s take number 4; is there something specific in the design that you find offensive, or is simply the overall combination of elements. And I’m not asking as an antagonist, I’m sincerely interested; particularly as to whether it’s an aesthetic element or if the “off brand” aspect plays a role.
    41Mets likes this.

I vote for no 2. Would be even better if the size is 38-39mm. I like its white dial coupled with Roman numeral indices and blue hands. It reminds me of Glashutte Original Senator Excellence. By the way are the hands heat blue?
    Zeroedout and oztech like this.

Quote Originally Posted by ivanos View Post
    I vote for no 2..... By the way are the hands heat blue?
    Hard to find much info on any of these, but considering the price point I’m fairly confident in assuming they’re not heat-blued.
    ivanos likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Marvin #1 - Good size, clean, modern, classic and not glaringly derivative of another brand. Also, no date. If going through the effort of specifically buying a dress watch, might as well go “no date.”

So, OP here. I’m gonna throw a twist into the thread. Last week my wife and I were at the mall, and much to my surprise I stumbled upon a few “Cocktail Times” (at JC Penny’s of all places).

So I did what we all do, I made my better half wait patiently while I fondled the merchandise. I was very tempted to make an impulse buy, but we were there for something else entirely. Just wasn’t the right time.

Now the wrinkle. Last night I asked my wife for her opinion on the watches I posted here. She blurted out “I thought you wanted the Seiko you liked at the mall?! What’s wrong with that one??”

Long story short, I know my wife. My birthdays 3 weeks away, and I suspect she may have broken my cardinal rule regarding buying me watches. I love her to death.

Ok...so my question to you guys: is this a no brainer now...do I wait for the Seiko srpb77, throw it on a black crock, call it my dress watch for now and forget about all these other “off brand” place-fillers?

Obligatory pic swiped at random:
    Attached Images Attached Images

Yes, wait.
    Zeroedout likes this.
    A. Lange & Söhne 1815 Annual Calendar | Glashütte Original Senator Observer | Rolex GMT-II 116710 BLNR | Panerai 00524 Flyback | Tudor Pelagos | Magrette Dual Time

I think they all look nice but for that style watch they should have offered it in a 38mm to 40mm IMO.
    Zeroedout likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeroedout View Post
    So, OP here. I’m gonna throw a twist into the thread. Last week my wife and I were at the mall, and much to my surprise I stumbled upon a few “Cocktail Times” (at JC Penny’s of all places).

So I did what we all do, I made my better half wait patiently while I fondled the merchandise. I was very tempted to make an impulse buy, but we were there for something else entirely. Just wasn’t the right time.

Now the wrinkle. Last night I asked my wife for her opinion on the watches I posted here. She blurted out “I thought you wanted the Seiko you liked at the mall?! What’s wrong with that one??”

Long story short, I know my wife. My birthdays 3 weeks away, and I suspect she may have broken my cardinal rule regarding buying me watches. I love her to death.

Ok...so my question to you guys: is this a no brainer now...do I wait for the Seiko srpb77, throw it on a black crock, call it my dress watch for now and forget about all these other “off brand” place-fillers?

Obligatory pic swiped at random:
    I'm so glad your wife let you fondle the merchandise. Too bad they didn't have a Manjaz on hand.

I have the SRPB46 - the brown and rose gold one. Normally I hate gold. But on this series, it's gorgeous. So gorgeous in fact, I passed over the one you posted and the blue one. It's striking, but not obnoxious. And the only one in the series with seven layers of lacquer. And for what it's worth, Orient makes a watch very similar to the one you posted above but for a bit less (though it doesn't have the radial guilloche pattern the Presage models have).

Anyway, the Presage won't get you the attention the Manjaz does, but it's a great watch.

EDIT: only gripe with the Presage is the same as these - a little on the big side.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    Slm643 and Zeroedout like this.
    "I think I may make bold to say, that there is neither any other Mechanical or Mathematical thing in the World that is more beautiful or curious in texture than this my watch or Timekeeper for the Longitude..." ~John Harrison F.R.S., 1759

My WIS Confessions

I quite liked #2 off your original list, but yes -- wait for the Seiko.

That said, I am endlessly amused by the fact that this may well be the first thread in WUS history that stayed on track with no recommendations of a Speedmaster or out-of-price-bracket watch . . . only to have OP ultimately go beyond the parameters he set. <LOL>

I was going to vote for #1 from your original post, but with the Presage entering the frame, that is clearly the way to go, especially if you can wear a 41mm watch as a formal one.
    Zeroedout and Dan T. like this.

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread Information