I’d like your opinion on the aesthetics of these “off-brand” considerations
Like Tree106Likes

Thread: I’d like your opinion on the aesthetics of these “off-brand” considerations

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

I’d like your opinion on the aesthetics of these “off-brand” considerations

Sorry in advance for the long-winded post...

I need a dress watch, but I’m not ready to drop coin on a UN Classico, which I’ve considered but will have to put on hold. I also don’t want to spend more than $400-$600 at the moment.

Please read: I know there are a ton of “better” watches available. I’m not asking for “bang for buck” alternatives. Quality wise, any of these will suit my needs right now. I know the market, I know what else is available. I also know these are all giant no-gos for most folks here, and under normal circumstances I’d value your feedback regarding alternatives....but that’s not what I’m asking for today.

My question is simply, do you like any of these (as a dress watch) based strictly on aesthetics? If so, which do you prefer? I’m a little stuck and would appreciate some other other perspectives.

Please also note: I realize 41-42mm is an immediate disqualifier for most when it comes to dress watches. I get it. However, I’m a big guy and I’m fine with it. Although 42mm may be slightly pushing the envelope, so I’ve listed their sizes.

Finally: if you’ve gotten this far, thanks. I don’t mean to sound like a bagwash, I’m just afraid that if I don’t get this stuff out of the way up-front I’m gonna end up with 100 suggestions for “better” alternatives and a bunch of well-intended advice on saving for the “right” watch.

The candidates:

1) 41mm Marvin:
    Name:  C09B8567-D93C-45DB-B9C7-1E33B07ABA16.jpeg
Views: 140
Size:  202.0 KB

2) 42mm Marvin Automatic:
    Name:  D8926697-0A17-4B0C-BEDB-016BE60A5751.jpeg
Views: 148
Size:  219.0 KB

3) 42mm Marvin Automatic:
    Name:  125D16F2-6D4C-47BF-8F9C-E776C579138F.jpeg
Views: 144
Size:  217.1 KB

4) 41mm Manjaz Automatic:
    Name:  98CF0639-EC48-4292-A20F-78D8961D0C62.jpeg
Views: 148
Size:  263.6 KB

5) 41mm Manjaz Automatic (alt dial):
    Name:  AD779696-E219-4EB7-8534-0814BA8481ED.jpeg
Views: 149
Size:  207.3 KB

6) Long Shot Contender - 40mm Alexander Venacci
    Name:  B48EACB0-7611-4A7F-8244-9D08874D08FF.jpeg
Views: 140
Size:  92.9 KB

Again, thanks in advance for any feedback.
    Last edited by Zeroedout; September 7th, 2018 at 20:11.
    slcbbrown likes this.

Re: I’d like your opinion on the aesthetics of these “off-brand” considerations

The third Marvin (blue handset, blue Romans) ... very nice.
    They're yet another dormant Swiss brand killed off by quartz that was revived in 2007. I found a history of the brand here:

A Brief History of Marvin Watches - The Baily Blog

Some very nice watches on the website ... lots of vintage cues ...
    Zeroedout and OvrSteer like this.

The second one, like the contrast.
    Zeroedout likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

You do right to be specific in what you want as you will be the guy wearing it - not me. The first Marvin gets my vote.
    Zeroedout and 41Mets like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Vioviv View Post
    The third Marvin (blue handset, blue Romans) ... very nice.
    They're yet another dormant Swiss brand killed off by quartz that was revived in 2007. I found a history of the brand here:

A Brief History of Marvin Watches - The Baily Blog

Some very nice watches on the website ... lots of vintage cues ...
    Ya’ know, that’s the one that really catches my eye too. My hesitation without being able to see it in person (or even a video of it) is that the blue might be too blue, if that makes sense? If I knew for sure that it was a very dark, navy shade I probably wouldn’t think twice...but at 42mm, if the blue is too royal(?) I’m afraid it may loose some of its dressier/elegant vibe. Thanks for the input.

Number 1 gets my vote based on what you're looking for. It's the closest to time only, 2 hands. Had it been sub-seconds register instead of central seconds, spot on.

Number 5 is the most visually interesting to me, the dial gives you something to look at, sub-seconds, only the date really throws it off.

Number 6 is too busy in a manner to be considered dress, the watch while attractive, is not simple. Wild case shape plus 4 different types of indicies, way too busy.

Numbers 2, 3, 4 - Attractive, but nothing jumps out. Am actively not a fan of number 2, roman numerals all the way around, and 3 and 4 also seem to have cluttered dials.
    Zeroedout likes this.

Since this is all subjective and focused on aesthetics only, these are my impressions:

#3 is nice looking.

#6 Though stretching strict "dress watch" definition - but almost no one cares about that anymore - I have to say that I really like the look of this one.

#4 & 5 - Can't get past the name on the dial, as stupid as that is. I hear Man Jazz and wonder how that differs from regular jazz. And it just sounds so contrived.
    Zeroedout likes this.

Marvin number two, like the hands
    Zeroedout, G07 and BigSeikoFan like this.

My top picks in order

1- favorite

They are all pretty attractive watches IMO, but based purely on looks, that’s the order I’d rank my top 3.

Daniel
    Zeroedout likes this.

Of these I like the Marvin’s but despise the name. Sounds like some sort of wedgie.
    Zeroedout likes this.

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread Information