I知 falling out of love with quartz because they keep failing
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: I知 falling out of love with quartz because they keep failing

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

I知 falling out of love with quartz because they keep failing

Hey guys, first post here. I知 a watch lover, obviously, I have a lot of them and wear them all, in rotation. My collection was about 50-50 mechanical and quartz. Not lately though, because many of my quartz watches just keep failing.

Right now, there are only 2 quartz watches that still work. A vintage 80痴 Tissot F1, and a Boss that I have since 2014 (yes, I know, but I really love this watch design, and it is actually very well made and beautiful)

Almost all the quartz watches I bought in the past 5 years (only had mechanicals until 5 years ago) had broken. And they were all 150-300 dollars watches. More specifically, most of them were Seiko or Seiko movements, but also a Citizen Eco-Drive (B-something movement), a Lotus with Myiota movement, and a Timex. 6 watches total.

All of them were non-jeweled movements, and that can be part of the problem. Some of them stopped completely (and won稚 reset either), others started to randomly stop (no, it wasn稚 the battery or contacts) and others were jamming, you could see they try to tick, but they were somehow stucked. They can be serviced (movement replaced) and I値l probably do that (not cheap) but I知 not sure I値l like them anymore knowing that in 2-3 years they will just die again.

For 10-60 dollars watches, you might find this acceptable, although I don稚 like the ideea of disposable ,,anything,, But for 150-300 dollars, nice watches, I find this completely unacceptable.

Especially since all my mechanical watches are still working great, even super cheap Orients and Seikos are far exceeding my expectations, some of them are 5 to 10 years old, never serviced and they don稚 skip a beat. I知 confident these watches will last a lifetime (with servicing when needed)

I also have vintage mechanical watches, some of them needed service and repair which was worth it considering how long I run them without servicing, a few older russian watches broke but were easily fixed, and my wife has a Seiko with a 2206 movement since 1976 that was never serviced, and still works pretty well (you can kind of hear it asking for service now). I still have my russian Slava given to me by my parents when I was 6 years old, still works great (repaired once)

So I must say after this 5 year run with buying some quartz watches, I think I知 done with them. If were池e not talking disposable $20 watches, I was shown that a $100 mechanical Seiko or Orient can be much more reliable than a $150+ and more expensive quartz.

I love watches, mechanical or quartz, but I can稚 tolerate the ideea that I should expect my beloved watches with a quartz movement to die completely every few years.

What do you think ? Is this the usual ,,fate,, of non-jeweled quartz movements ? Or were older quartz movements much better made ? (I see quite a few vintage ones, plus my Tissot which I think is jeweled)
    slcbbrown likes this.

Re: I知 falling out of love with quartz because they keep failing

Over the past twenty years I've had only one quartz watch fail -- a Victorinox Renegade. I don't know how you've happened across such an unlucky streak but it is unfortunate. I believe you're the exception to the rule but can offer no words of explanation but don't think it's a jeweled versus non-jeweled differentiation. I've owned a Citizen Nighthawk for several years with the Eco-drive solar movement and it is going strong. My Seiko Tunas should last decades.

Buying the affordable Seiko and Citizen mechanicals is certainly a way to avoid future heartbreak. As you have found, they can run for a decade or more without servicing and still keep time reasonably well. Fortunately for you, there are many options from these two companies, and the micro-brand world has flocked to NH35 and 9105 movements in their watches for very reasonable prices.

And then there's always Casio. I had a dozen of their watches, some digital, some ana/digi, some pure analog over the past twenty years and all are humming along without any sign of stopping.
    Last edited by Lee_K; September 14th, 2018 at 23:58.
    Rocket1991 likes this.

The Seiko Tuna has a jeweled movement. The Nighthawk does not, but searched photos and it looks much more solid than the movements that broked on me.

In the end, my problem can be as simple as: Nice cases and finishes watches with rubish movements in them. I should have probably researched more but I just assumed a $200 quartz Seiko for example should be very reliable. Also funny how all of them broke after the warranty expired, none of them during the 2-years warranty

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

That seem really not quartz like. You need to tumble dry quartz watch to kill it like this. It could be something else but should be very strong. Citizen Eco Drive among most reliable watches i ever saw. Again you can kill it with certain effort or drown it but it takes water intrusion ,extreme heat or leaving your watch on dashboard.
    In my experience "i know what i am doing" or mall watch maker kills more quartz watches than any normal life action will do.
    It should be special!

That's certainly not my experience, and I own in excess of maybe 30 quartz watches, with some as old as 30 years in age.

Is there anything like this in your neighbourhood?

Rocket1991, joelbny, Cobia and 2 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Peteworrall View Post
    That's certainly not my experience, and I own in excess of maybe 30 quartz watches, with some as old as 30 years in age.

Is there anything like this in your neighbourhood?

No, nothing like that. And I’m really careful with my watches. Like others, I too have very old watches that still work great. Only one old quartz though, and old Tissot, the reast are mechanical.

I should mention again, although these were 150-300 dollars watches, all of these movement look cheap and flimsy, mostly plastic. All of the Seiko movements that broke were VX series, you can do a google search to see them. And the others were basically the same quality viasually.

That said, I’m still dissapointed of the overall products. If I buy a quartz again, I will do my homework and I will never buy anything that I can’t get specific details about the movement, and if the movement doesn’t look like they put some work into it.

And will still retain my current impression that in the $80-250 price range, a Seiko or Orient mechanical is a better choice if you want reliability, unless you can find a good preferably jeweled movement in that same price range of course.

And I just want to say my love for watches isn’t influenced by brand names or quartz vs mechanical, one of my favourite watches in my collection is a Boss quartz and I’m sure watch snobs will dismiss it immediately as trash, and I do own Hamiltons (I love them), a great Oris, 2 Certina plus many other Seiko, Orient ranging between $100 to $1700.

I’m thinking my bad luck with quartz was influenced by my uninformed and poor choice of movements, but wanted to hear your opinions.

That is my limited experience with quartz, as well. The biggest problem I've seen is the repairs-- who do you call? electrician, circuit board guy, code writer? definitely not a watchmaker.

I had a Guess quartz and an Android quartz, both of which cost less than 100 dollars, and both of which lasted 10 years. I consider that pretty good value. But I also had a Spinnaker quartz and a Roue quartz that cost a bit over 100 dollars, and neither lasted a year. That is pathetic. So, my recent experience with quartz watches is a mixed bag, although I've still got 12 quartzes in my rotation, ranging from six years old to brand new, and from 75 to 600 dollars, so we'll see how well those do over the long haul. Any more bad experiences with quartzes, and I, too, may give 'em up for good.
    Minus 8 - ​Locman - ​Invicta - Chotovelli - ​Aragon- Hamilton - NFW - ​​Fugue - Aark - Elysee - Hawthorn - ​Ming - Cronometrics ​- Martenero

I see a ton of very old quartz watches on the used market, so definitely there’s nothing wrong with the technology, but maybe in the past years they just went too cheap, maybe ?

I can't claim huge experience with mechanical Orient or Seiko but i had none of quartz watches fail on me. Not in 100+ $ category, not even in sub 50$.
    Timex not a good example of reliability, but Seiko and Citizen are not flimsy by any means. Good Miyota based watch will be good for a long time too.
    I seen watches which actually corroded and experienced some "fume attack" on shop floor but still were ticking and keeping good time like quartz suppose to.
    That said if brand X makes their watches of subpar movements and gets them on discount they will fail. Like you may get ronda movement with 1 jewel completely out of plastic.
    Comparing it to same ronda 5 jewel metal movement is not going to do any favors to plastic despite been same 775 ronda. It's not like quartz is bad it more like some manufacturers do cut a lot of reliability in order to boost profits or produce 20$ watch. But since there is demand for crappy movements they are produced. Back in the days there same with mechanical movements. They been occupying numerous cheap watches with 0 jewels and no shock resistance (mechanical Timex anyone?).
    Quartz and mechanical are not that different when it comes to gearing it like some part is missing in quartz. It bit of simplification but not by far. Early quartz regulated movements were essentially mechanicals powered by electric pulses. Difference between mechanical and quartz is like between hybrid car and gasoline car. It's not like you get magic carpet or boat.
    Last edited by Rocket1991; September 15th, 2018 at 15:25.
    It should be special!

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread Information