I知 in trouble!
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: I知 in trouble!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

I知 in trouble!

Hello everyone. I致e read this forum for a few months and am now a member. Thank you for all the knowledge you致e shared in these posts. But curse you! I am now becoming a watch enthusiast. I have not owned a watch since high school, Swatch field watch and I recently purchased my first, Tag Heuer AquaRacer. Just loved the simplicity, bright indices and black face and strap. Last week, I picked up a Hamilton Navy Pioneer. Very beautiful and also conservative. I love both. Now I see tons of watches that I love. So, I need some advice. I grew up middle class so $5000 and up just isn稚 going to happen. I am comfortable in the $1000-$2000 range. So I ask;
    1. Is it unwise as a beginner to pick watches based on categories that I want filled? A dress watch, field/military etc...
    2. Of course my eyes wander up the watch hierarchy, but should really look at movements past an ETA 2824, 2892 or 2801. Is a novice going to notice?
    3. I知 currently looking at the Marloe Haskell, Rado Diamaster and RGM model 115 Pilot b. My blue face category! That range is from $800-$3300. Is their a huge difference in quality or am I paying for hand made American with RGM?
    Thanks in advance for any advice you can share. I want to avoid costly mistakes.

Re: I知 in trouble!

pump the brakes for now would be my advice. you've picked up two watches pretty quickly (from the sound of it). wear them and decide what you like and don't like about them. follow a few WRUW threads. in the end, you'll (hopefully) save some money. I jumped in pretty quickly too.. and boy did it escalate.
    kyfra likes this.
    WatchUSee is WatchIGot
    Casio - G-Shock GW-5000-1jf |
    Garmin - Forerunner 245 Music | Grand Seiko - Snowflake (SBGA011) | Longines - Master Collection (L2.673) | | MeisterSinger - Panagaea Day Date|Monta -Triumph | Nomos Glashutte - Club Datum | Orient - Mako mod | Rolex - Explorer I (214270 mk2) | Seiko - SKX007/09 mods | Stowa- Klassik Flieger

I would buy a watch because you love it, not because it ticks a box or fills in a category. And if you're new and just bought two watches, I'd wait a few months for you to figure out what does and doesn't work on the two you have.
    ffritz and rreimer91 like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Yes, RGM's are expensive, even the ones with Swiss movements, but I think they're worth every penny.

Name:  RGM-151P-screaminglady.jpg
Views: 63
Size:  118.3 KB

If you want California-made, check out the Weiss Field Watch Cal 1003. For about $2k, you can get a 98% made in California w/a manufacture movement.
    If you want 80% California-made, check out the Weiss Field Watch Cal 1001 or 1005. They have base Swiss movements, but everything else from case to crystal to strap is made in SoCal.

Name:  Weiss-1001-1-WRUW-080618.jpeg
Views: 66
Size:  131.2 KB

Of course, you could sell everything (cars, kids, pets) and get one of these in platinum ...

Name:  RGM-801-Baseball-storepic.jpeg
Views: 65
Size:  373.6 KB

I did the "ticking off watches by category" thing when I recently got back into the hobby. I think it's a fine way to start, as it allows the collector to settle on watch types that suit their style. As you continue to buy and flip, you'll find yourself organically gravitating towards a type of watch. For me, I looked down one day and realized three watches in my small collection were divers and I've yet to purchase a field watch.
    Last edited by LosAngelesTimer; September 11th, 2018 at 22:37.

Heuer Autavia Heritage Caliber 02 Farer Lander GMT
    Oak & Oscar Jackson Oris Divers 65
    Junghans Meister Telemeter Seiko Turtle SRP777
    Longines Heritage Chronograph 1973 Seiko 6106-8100 Sports Diver
    Baltic Bicompax Slate Gray Lorier Hydra
    Alpina ​Startimer Pilot Manufacture Casio A700W, AE1200WH, G300-3AV

For me, I try to pick watches with a particular function in mind. I have a sport watch, a couple of dress watches and a beater. If I get a new watch, I have to like it better than something already in the collection. No watch is perfect, so it's still pretty easy to talk myself into replacing something that I have. But it does make me stop and think about new purchases.

Dun Laoghaire/Rathdown, Ireland & Almancil/Vale do Lobo/Quinta do Lago Council, Portugal

I don’t bother with categories - most of my pieces are dressy as I like the simple aesthetic. Up to you really whether you want to do categories or not. One piece of advice - if you get a watch box, don’t get caught up over filling every slot. It’s amazing how easy it is to fall into that pattern.
    Instagram https://www.instagram.com/paulo_8135

* Casio G-Shock GMW-B5000D
    * Casio Oceanus
    * Omega Constellation Gold
    * Omega Gold
    * Rotary Silver
    * Seiko Premier
    * Tag Heuer Aquaracer blue

Quote Originally Posted by Earthbound View Post
    Hello everyone. I’ve read this forum for a few months and am now a member. Thank you for all the knowledge you’ve shared in these posts. But curse you! I am now becoming a watch enthusiast. I have not owned a watch since high school, Swatch field watch and I recently purchased my first, Tag Heuer AquaRacer. Just loved the simplicity, bright indices and black face and strap. Last week, I picked up a Hamilton Navy Pioneer. Very beautiful and also conservative. I love both. Now I see tons of watches that I love. So, I need some advice. I grew up middle class so $5000 and up just isn’t going to happen. I am comfortable in the $1000-$2000 range. So I ask;
    1. Is it unwise as a beginner to pick watches based on categories that I want filled? A dress watch, field/military etc...
    2. Of course my eyes wander up the watch hierarchy, but should really look at movements past an ETA 2824, 2892 or 2801. Is a novice going to notice?
    3. I’m currently looking at the Marloe Haskell, Rado Diamaster and RGM model 115 Pilot b. My blue face category! That range is from $800-$3300. Is their a huge difference in quality or am I paying for hand made American with RGM?
    Thanks in advance for any advice you can share. I want to avoid costly mistakes.
    Welcome to the hobby, sorry about your wallet. A few things to keep in mind. Three $2K watches is more money than that $5K watch. I know it seems incredibly obvious, but it's easy to forget that in the hunt.

Do you want a dress watch, and do you have reason to regularly wear one, or do you feel like you should have one? Don't buy a watch to tick a box. Buy it because you want it for its own sake.

Are sexy high-end in-house movements worth it? Depends on who you ask. In my humble opinion, no. Even a basic b*tch Seiko movement can be regulated to run within COSC spec, and you never actually see that 3135 in your Submariner, it's just there, ticking at the same rate as a Miyota 9015 in a Submariner homage. Your watchmaker gets to see it, when he charges you a whole bunch of money to service it. Something like the Omega co-axial in a Planet Ocean on the other hand you do get to see, and it is certainly very pretty. I'd buy a PO because I wanted a PO though, not because of the movement.

I really like the dial on that Marloe, but that case design couldn't be more boring. It looks like they took a tuna can and glued two Popsicle sticks on the top and bottom. You can do better I think for around that price level. Where you start to notice a difference in quality are things like the complexity of the case design and quality of the brushing and polishing, dial printing, handset finishing, etc. I don't find IWC's pilots to be especially compelling in this regard, whereas a watch like the Breguet Type XXI is absolutely exquisite.

Daniel Hunt likes this.

You already own two solid watches, and I think there are excellent watches under $2000-3000 to be had, especially when looking vintage or pre-owned modern watches. I would keep searching but with a firmly closed wallet so that you have full firepower when you need it.

The natural 都tep-up from basic ETA, SW movements is of course in-house movements like Omega Co-Axial, Zenith Elite, or Nomos Alpha. Those are pricey but not always the dream watch one may think to be. Well-made ETA watches can deliver better accuracy than okay in-house movements. My most accurate watch currently is an ETA.

Somewhere in the middle are modified ETA watches like IWC, Breitling, and Longines - you could try and score a bargain on pre-owned models.

I would forget this ‘air, land, sea’ or field, military, dress, diver, Chrono ect categories and buy what speaks to you. I find one very enjoyable part of this hobby is the endless research that goes into watches I tend to mull a purchase over for months reading threads, watching YouTube videos, visiting ADs if possible ect as my taste my change so I don’t rush into any purachse and I would recommend if possible you do the same.

Enjoy what you have now and learn what you would like
    All the gods, all the heavens, all the hells, are within you...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information