I accept public oprobium

Thread: I accept public oprobium

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

I accept public oprobium

I am writing these words as my own considerations, as a watchmaker and watch passionate.

Definition:
    Collection-series of objects of the same kind or same category, which collected and disposed sistematicly, representes an artistic, scientific or documentary value.
    Collection-Bunch of objects disposed after certain pricipials and collected from curiosity, scientific intentions or historical.

Those are two definitions of a collection. Applying these definitions in watch field, we can say that a watch collection can be defined as:” A series of watches, which are gathered and disposed systematically, represents an artistic, scientific or documentary value”
    Taking in account the second definition we can define a watch collection as:” A series of watches collected from curiosity, scientific or esthetical intention”.
    But watch collecting is ultimately a subjective activity. Each watch passionate is collecting watches after his own criterion, from fun, without a well defined purpose or with a defined purpose. When a watch passionate collect watches only for the joy of having them, without a definite purpose or without a theme, this passionate can name each watch as collection watch, but only by his own criteria accepted by himself.
    When a watch passionate put together watches with a well defined purpose, then he can accede to the collector title.
    A collection can have different purposes, pecuniary, by a principle, or thematic. The pecuniary implies a commercial activity, earning some money and reinvestment of this money in watches with a certain value, material or historical, unanimous recognized. These kinds of collections are hard to realize, also financially and also because this kind of watches are hard to find on the market. The principial collection is based on a criterion which is known and sustained by the owner and is not unanimous recognized as a general valid criteria, and I would said that this persons are “watch passionate”. The thematic criterion, involves a well defined theme and the pursuit of achieving it.
    And starting from this considerations rise a common sense question:” Which watches are collectible?” A good answer can be that collectible watches are those who have a material value unanimously recognized, and which value will increase as time pass by, or watches with a historical value, to which in fact is applying also the value criteria.
    But there are also the thematic collections to which the material criteria is not entirely applicable, such a collection following a theme, in which the individual value of a watch can not be very high, but the entire collection in ensemble to have a higher documentary value then the sum of each watch included in this collection.
    And another question is rising:” Are we a watch passionate or a collector?”
    The passion for watches is often materializing in chaotic acquisition of watches, without a theme or a certain purpose, only for the reason of having one particularly model, and despite of number of watches owned it can not be defined as a collection.
    A collector will try to achieve a well defined purpose, acquisitioning watches trying to achieve the purpose.
    I am sure that these words will not be liked by everyone, and that this words can be contested or argued subjectively. And probably the watch passionate will be the most vehement contesters in their goal to achieve the collector title.
    Personally I have hundreds of watches, bought with different occasions and different purposes at that time, and I do not consider myself as a watch collector. And all who will have the patience to read this words, and will make an objective introspection of their activity, can define themselves as passionate or collectors.
    In no way I do not wish you to believe that I do not appreciate the passion for watches as some will like to belive.Noooo,by no means,contrary,I think that the passion for watches will generate the true collectors and I try to cultivate this passion hoping that in the end we’ll have true collections and collectors.

If the Forum administrators consider that this is not the right place to post this,please put it in the right section,and announce me. Thank you

Re: I accept public oprobium

Nothing wrong or controversial in what you said.
    All very true I'm sure.
    I've usually read it referred to as a "hoarder" vs. "collector".
    Would love to see some of your watches!
    "Time is the school in which we learn. Time is the fire in which we burn."

You won't get any from me for this post, oprobium that is...however I am still going to consider myself a collector with a collection. Thanks for the interesting observations.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Now that the Bulldog contingent has had their say, it's the Labradors turn to comment.

I see no reason for opprobrium in your observations. It is your opinion and everyone is entitled to one. In my case, I'm both a passionate and a collector. Some may even say I'm a passionate collector.
    Last edited by CMSgt Bo; January 6th, 2009 at 22:52. Reason: Ich bin bad spelr!

I think that it is my fault that I did not expose my reason for writing this words.
    I basicly wrote this,beeing a watch forum owner in Romania,and having problems with my users in understanting that the aquisition of watches in a chaotic way,will not make them collectors.And I tried to obtain some feedback from this well apreciate Forum.
    If I did something wrong,my appologise!

Quote Originally Posted by Ceasornicar View Post
    I think that it is my fault that I did not expose my reason for writing this words.
    I basicly wrote this,beeing a watch forum owner in Romania,and having problems with my users in understanting that the aquisition of watches in a chaotic way,will not make them collectors.And I tried to obtain some feedback from this well apreciate Forum.
    If I did something wrong,my appologise!
    With all due respect, that sounds like a very uptight forum.

Seiko SKXA53

Citizen NY0040
    Citizen NY2300
    Hamilton Khaki
    Wenger Terragraph
    Casio GW-5600

I feel that it takes the acquisition of many timepieces to actually learn how it is to own them and to develop a preference for one type over another. At that point, the "collecting" begins. So try to take it easy on those who acquire many different types of seemingly unrelated timepieces - its part of the learning process that everyone goes through.
    Lots of dive watches.

Banned

I need only one watch. I own 24 watches. (Soon 25 ) And 5 pocket watches. And 3 Schwartzwalder Cuckoo clocks. And 2 other wall clocks.

Ergo! I am a Collector!

To define and decide what "a Collector" is is just plain stupid!!!

Kind of "Machiavellian/Ceuceskuian" or?
    Last edited by Janne; January 6th, 2009 at 20:50.

Southampton UK as prisoner of work but home is a village in La Mayenne.

Have you made this posting in order to attract opprobium?
    The random acquisition of watches is because the acquirer likes them. This is called collecting and there is no difference between the snobbish collection of only Patek Philippes made on a Thursday and the gathering of a hundred different makes and styles. If you are trying to assert that there is, then you are: a, blinkered, and b, completely mistaken.

Quote Originally Posted by eric l. View Post
    i feel that it takes the acquisition of many timepieces to actually learn how it is to own them and to develop a preference for one type over another. At that point, the "collecting" begins. So try to take it easy on those who acquire many different types of seemingly unrelated timepieces - its part of the learning process that everyone goes through.

+1

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information