I....am changing! What's happeninnngggg!?

Thread: I....am changing! What's happeninnngggg!?

I....am changing! What's happeninnngggg!?

Hey, it's October...give a man his penchant for horror in title choice. Anyway, I have, for the last few years, been a dedicated fan of small watches. I am not a small guy. Six feet tall, seven inch wrist. So it was not a practical thing, due to proportion. It was an aesthetic choice. I just muchly preferred smaller watches. Up until fairly recently, I thought of 38mm watches as larger. They seemed relatively big. I like 36mm and even wore a 32-34mm (I never measured it but it was small) WWII Ordnance watch for a while. Loved it! I found 40mm watches and above to be very big. 42's were huge, 44 and up were freakin' ridiculous. Comical. But then recently something began to happen.

I still have plenty of love for smaller watches, and will readily wear one, but my perception of watch size has expanded. Not much, mind you. I still cannot imagine wearing something larger than 44mm. Hell even that might still be too large, but I am willing to imagine that I might find a watch of that dimension at some point that I would dig enough to not let it's size get in the way. So, 38mm now seems quite standard to me. 40mm would be perfectly acceptable.

I think this change has something to do with a change in my perceptions of watches in general. I think I have begun to open up to the idea of watches as jewelry. As personal decoration. Big revelation...I know . But I just didn't have that view until recently. I liked the aesthetics of the watch on my wrist along with my bracelet, cord and so forth, but it was still more or less an unobtrusive, blend into the background sort of view on a watch. However, that is not true these days.

Having in the past couple of years learned a bit about watches and watchness, I have developed a liking for many watches that I simply would want, without being hugely ostentatious, to stand out on my wrist. To be the key thing on my wrist. Being completely blunt here, to show it off. After all, if you love a watch for it's beauty, it's craftsmanship and what it stands for as a fine timepiece, then why not let it be noticed?

So, there we are. I have changed my view on watch size significantly (at least for me). It has opened up my choices and my enjoyment of watches in general. If you have read this far into my ramble, then please feel free to chime in with your own journey's/perceptions/aesthetic views of watches. Thanks for reading.

Re: I....am changing! What's happeninnngggg!?

I've always liked bigger watches, I'll strap on a 38 to dress up, but I prefer around a 44mm for every day, I'm a bigger dude though at 6'6" so that might be a contributing factor :P. Its also good your starting to like bigger watches, because nowadays so many of the watches with nice movements that are relatively affordable are cased in 40mm+ cases, look at Omega for example.

And although some consider watches to be jewelry, I will always consider them pieces of mechanical art.

Best,
    -Max

Excellent point about the word Jewelry. I mean to point to the idea of wearing and viewing a watch, while not exclusively so, as an aesthetically pleasing adornment. Jewelry, art that you wear, or other such ideas, all included. Meant to be overtly worn and enjoyed.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Panerai View Post
    And although some consider watches to be jewelry, I will always consider them pieces of mechanical art.
    Good term. I am nearly 6'2" and have always enjoyed larger watches, in part because my wrist is very flat and small watches look a bit out of place. I also favor the dive-watch style, and those watches tend to be bigger than most. There are those who have said that the pendulum will one day swing back to smaller watches. Perhaps. But I think the explosion of larger watches has made the 44mm+ watch part of the mainstream and will be with us always--not just as a small, easy-to-ignore branch either, but as a permanent robust fixture in the horological firmament. Just my take.
    Rolex DeepSea Sea-Dweller | Eterna Super KonTiki 1973 Limited Edition

One adverse effect of being on the [email protected] has clearly been the fact that 99% of dress watches are out of contention for me ... I find 42mm watches too small and 43mm watches just about ... Needless to say, all watches in my collection for 44mm or more ...

Either ways, I think this ADDICTION is all about PHASES and Tastes .. They keep changing ... From three Omegas and the whole collection on bracelets, I am down to NO Omegas and All but One on bracelet ...

So, Get In the Groove and Just Have Fun ~! [ Sell your tiny timepieces and get some Wrist Clocks ]
    When a guy takes off his coat, he's not going to fight. When a guy takes off his wristwatch, watch out! - Al McGuire

After not really wearing a watch in a few years, I bought my first real watch with my Oris which is 39x38 square, which gives it a fairly large surface area equal to a 44mm circular watch. From there, I went even larger to get my 50mm Uboat 'Thousands of Feet' which is even larger than the Bell & Ross and is about as formidable as they come. About the same time, I jumped on a Kobold 'Seal' that I stumbed upon. From there, I took a rather unpredictable turn and fell for a Seagull 1963 w. a sapphire crystal, which is beautiful watch, but at 36mm (excluding the crown and pushers) was quite a bit smaller than I was used to. I really like the look of watch, and appreciate the contrast between my larger watches. I am really excited to fine tune the strap (Nato isn't doing it for me); I'm thinking ostrich. Part of the reason this still looks large enough is that it is a chronograph and the crown and the pushers make the watch more sizable than its smaller case diameter. Ultimately, though, I think I prefer wearing slightly larger watches, and I'm considering a Sinn U1 or Stowa Flieger for my next bite at the apple...
    Last edited by mpalmer; October 14th, 2012 at 08:47.
    "The stuff that dreams are made of…" - RGM ‘801 EE Motor Barrel’

I envy you in a way. The perfect size for me is generally 36mm-38mm, but that's really because of my small stature and slim wrist. I don't like the look of larger watches on slim wrists. If my wrist was bigger I would enjoy proportionally larger watches which are more common nowadays. You seem to be able to accommodate the best of both worlds, including smaller vintage watches as well as more modern sizes. Enjoy!

usa

Over time, I guess we eventually get bored of every possible toy ...

It happened to me as well. Until I bought my 44MM Capeland Flyback, ALL my watches were small watches and I thought they looked just fine. Before my Flyback, I tried on a larger watch at a watch store and thought it looked freakishly large on my wrist. Now, after 3 months of wearing a 44MM watch, I tried on a 41MM watch yesterday and my immediate thought was that it was too small.
    I am no longer active on WUS. If you would like to contact me, please feel free to email me: rbrylaw fifty five at yahoo

Me too,I started with below or 40mm thinner watch (cartier pasha,several rolex,tag) before I made a leap for Panerai,took me a while to build an awareness that I wear a chunky watch (add the fact that I use it on my right wrist which is my dominant side)

Thread Information