I am NOT a WIS...
Like Tree122Likes

Thread: I am NOT a WIS...

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

I am NOT a WIS...

This is not meant as a slam to anyone on here. But as a member for a short amount of time, I've come to realize that I am more of a casual fan of watches and am by no means a WIS. The real indicator came recently while on vacation.

To celebrate my wife finishing her Master's Degree, she decided that we needed to go on a trip. She picked Club Med in Ixtapa, Mexico. (If you have any kids in your house, and want to go somewhere great, consider this place)

As soon as she told me where we were going, I knew what watch I'd take. Let me clarify that, I knew which ONE watch I'd take. My AWG-M100 G-Shock would be well suited to any pool/ocean/other activity I'd partake in while at the resort. It has a 2nd time zone window so I wouldn't have to worry about changing the analog time, and frankly, I don't really care if people are checking out my watch.

I enjoy others' posts about their vacations and seeing their pix, but I took one pic of my watch on the trip, and that was more of a goof while on the plane.

Aside from one guy wearing a "Breitling" hat, I paid no attention to what anyone wore on their wrist. Come to think of it, I don't remember seeing many watches at all. I guess that is the point to a vacation isn't it? Not to worry about what time it is? We had to keep to a bit of a schedule as we signed our kids into the Kid's Clubs daily. We also wanted to know where they would be so we had the schedule with us so we could have lunch together. Also, most of the activities were on a schedule so if we wanted to do archery, we knew we had to wait until 4pm as the different age groups had it busy until then.

Don't get me wrong, I really love watches, I love this site as I learn a lot from it. One of the biggest things I've learned so far is to be happy with what I like. In one of my posts from a while ago, I put pictures up of most of my watches. One person commented that I'd managed to collect just about every model that no one has any interest in. While I may have collected watches that no one ELSE was interested in, I enjoy having each and every watch I own. I think my most expensive watch was $300 at Costco in 2003, a Movado my wife bought me for Valentine's Day that year. I wore it nearly every day for 12 years until I bought the G-Shock I took on this trip.

Trust me when I say that there are a lot of watches that I admire, but I'll never own most of them. I'll never have a Rolex, Breitling, or Omega. I'm a fan of Citizen Eco-Drive, Solar/Atomic G Shocks, the odd Seiko that "no one" is interested in, and I'm fine w/that! I don't wear my watches to impress the stranger across the aisle on the plane, I wear my watch for the utility.

There is only one watch that I truly want at this point, and that is my father's Seiko 6105-8000 that he bought in Japan on his way home from Viet Nam. He teased me w/it when I went back home last year. I thought he was going to give it to me as after I asked him about it, he dug the original box out complete w/all the papers and even the price tag. $38 for those interested. But... he did not hand it over. At this point, I believe it will be a sad day when my mother hands it to me after he passes, so if that is the case, I'm hoping I never get it. That is unrealistic, so I'm hoping that it stays w/him for a very long time.

Here are some pix of my trip, and I'll even include my single watch pic:
    Name:  IMG_2363.jpg
Views: 840
Size:  877.3 KBName:  DSC_0065.jpg
Views: 827
Size:  971.7 KBName:  DSC_0072.jpg
Views: 825
Size:  991.0 KBName:  DSC01447.JPG
Views: 826
Size:  2.59 MBName:  IMG_2394.jpg
Views: 840
Size:  162.7 KBName:  DSC01547.JPG
Views: 822
Size:  1.87 MBName:  IMG_2406.jpg
Views: 820
Size:  415.4 KB
    Last edited by muphasta; July 8th, 2016 at 10:03.
    GlennO, rdoder, noregrets and 10 others like this.

Re: I am NOT a WIS...

... "Trust me when I say that there are a lot of watches that I admire, but I'll never own most of them. I'll never have a Rolex, Breitling, or Omega..."

Hey Man, I don't know how long you've been at this game (I'm surprised, you look older than I would have thought), but I have been at it for many years and I even told myself that very same thing. Just never thought it would be in the cards for me. Now after a few higher end watches including Panerai, Breitling, ChronoSwiss, considering a $10K Omega, more than a few pricey vintage watches, I would caution you against EVER SAYING, "NEVER!"

I have had children that graduated college (one with a Masters - congrats to your wife!), a couple of marriages, several mortgages, etc. Again, never thought it would be me. You just never know what the future may bring.
    "Time isn't the main thing. It is the only thing!" - Miles Davis

I have found that some people just like to hear themselves typing.

Friends don't let friends buy G-Schlocks.

You think I'm condescending...?? Do you even know what that means... ??

Every time God closes one door... I open a bottle of bourbon.

¹ I have learned that you have to put a smiley face or LOL behind anything just so people don't take you too seriously.

Some of what you said in your OP are WIS words. Sorry. You are probably one. I have come to the realization that we come in grades.

The 1st grade of WIS would be you OP. The last is a guy who ends up on 20/20 cause hes murdered people in a watch related way everytime painting watches on their shaved heads... I hope no one here has gotten to that obsessive level yet.

So good for you for not giving a.... And keep on being a WIS.

By the way I only take one watch while traveling and dont take more than a handful of watch pics either. Again, we are levels 1 or 2 on a 1063 level pyramid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Watch List:

Mont Blanc Star XXL Automatic (Ref. 101644)
    Tag Heuer Grand Carrera Calibre 17 RS (Ref. CAV511A.BA0902)
    Rolex Explorer 39mm (Ref. 214270)
    Omega Speedmaster Pro Sapphire Sandwich (Ref. 3573.50)
    Rolex Submariner (Ref. 114060)
    Tudor Heritage Black Bay (Ref. 79230B)
    Tag Heuer Carrera Calibre 16 (Ref. CV01AJ.BA0727)
    IWC Ingenieur (Ref. 3227)
    Oris Aquis Date 43.5mm
    IWC Ingenieur (Ref. 3239)
    Mont Blanc Star 4810 Automatic (Ref. 102340)
    Rolex Datejust II (Ref. 116300)

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Just curious - why bother with such a post on a watch site that caters to the exact opposite type of hobby/personality? Kinda like going to a sports car forum and saying you prefer riding a bicycle.

At the end of the day all that ever matters is that you are happy with what's on your wrist - and more power to you if you don't care about others' opinions on this.

However, to me it seems a bit strange to come to a forum where members obsess over intricacies of all types of watches - from micro to luxury - to say you don't care about watches.

I don't think OP is saying he doesn't care about watches. He's saying that he loves some watches, but is not as obsessed about watches to the same degree as some others. To each their own. I see no problem with talking about differences in degrees of interest in watches in a watch forum.

I feel you, OP. I've posted pics before of my cheap watches, and they just don't get as much love as the luxury watches. I get it, they are nothing special, in that most people have the means to buy them. People equate "hard to get" and "more beautiful" as "better". I think being able to appreciate what one has is better, because then one is happy with whatever one has.

A strange thing happened with me. As I learned to let go of watches for their looks and appreciate them for just time telling, I started to like/love the look of the watches that I have. Not asking/wishing for more or other watches, I started to see beauty in the watches that I have that I didn't see before. They're the same watches, but I've changed, and I see them differently. Some people, maybe non-WISes, are happy with just one average watch, and that's not a bad thing. If anything, one could argue that's watch nirvana, to love one ordinary, non-impressive watch, be happy with it, and don't need anymore. In that state, there's no need to impress anyone else.

I still gawk at watches on other people's wrists. Maybe someday I won't. This watch hobby is a journey. Different people take different routes through it, nothing wrong with that.
    Last edited by rdoder; July 8th, 2016 at 15:59. Reason: Grammar
    sefrcoko, muphasta, G07 and 1 others like this.

Firstly Mexico looks like a beautiful place. Nice to see a sweet family making the most of this beautiful world.

Secondly, to be fair you obviously have succumbed to the allure of certain watches. Why else would you have collected a select few choice pieces and racked up 190 posts on a watch lovers forum?

Just because your predominate appreciation of watches seems to resolve around there functionality or sentiment doesn't make you any less of a watch person.

Nothing wrong with being a watch fan. A WIS is someone who regularly visits and happily resides in the extreme ends of the watch lovers spectrum. It's a incredible place to be captivated but verges on a insanity.

I also know which one i would rather be, it would have saved me from spending helluva lot of time an money on these wonderful creations.

I almost feel like congratulating you for managing to keep a grasp on your interest and unlike many of us here, haven't been totally consumed by it.

Bottom line, you don't have to know the correct lift angle of a 2428 balance to be welcome here, enjoy what's important in life, like your family vacations and such.

Just (for us) try to have a respectable watch on your wrist while you're doing it.

(and for the record it's 51 degrees. :) )
    PeteInNYC, muphasta and G07 like this.

Watch hobbyists (like everything else) can sometimes fall victim to elitism. Don't listen to them OP. Enjoy your watches! :)
    rdoder and muphasta like this.

First off the person who stated you managed to collect every watch nobody was interested in was an idiot troll. Second I'll agree with most of what you said. Wear and buy the watches YOU enjoy. Contrary to what a lot of people here on WUS think, a watch does not really determine the type of person you are. Let's face it, watches just tell time, and a $10 Timex does it just as well as a $10K Rolex.
    muphasta, G07 and SeanoftheDead516 like this.

Stage 1: Denial.
    Stowa 1938 | Speedy Pro 311 | Omega SMPc | 66 Omega SM | 65 Omega Cosmic | 54 Omega SM | 72 Speedy Mark II | 69 Tissot T.12 | 70 Tissot Super T.12 | 70 Seiko 6139 | 71 Seiko Yachtman | 77 Seiko Pogue | 70s Seiko Bullhead | 69 Bulova SK | Ventus Mori | Helm Khuraburi

Quote Originally Posted by whoischich View Post
    Just curious - why bother with such a post on a watch site that caters to the exact opposite type of hobby/personality? Kinda like going to a sports car forum and saying you prefer riding a bicycle.

At the end of the day all that ever matters is that you are happy with what's on your wrist - and more power to you if you don't care about others' opinions on this.

However, to me it seems a bit strange to come to a forum where members obsess over intricacies of all types of watches - from micro to luxury - to say you don't care about watches.
    He didn't say he didn't like watches. Relax.
    drhr, sefrcoko, castlk and 2 others like this.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread Information