I am so sick of the whole "limited edition" watch thing! It seems like a company FINALLY develops a
Like Tree41Likes

Thread: I am so sick of the whole "limited edition" watch thing! It seems like a company FINALLY develops a

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

I am so sick of the whole "limited edition" watch thing! It seems like a company FINALLY develops a

I It seems like a company FINALLY develops a really great watch AND THEN THEY DON'T WANT ANYBODY TO BUY IT!!!Imagine if Rolex had only made 500 pieces of the Submariner back in 1953 and never produced it again? HOW JACKASS STUPID WOULD THAT HAVE BEEN???! If you're in the business of selling watches THAN MAKE AND SELL WATCHES! If you just want to open a museum of "limited editions" than stop pretending to be a watch maker!
    Sun Bum (entropy outlaw)b-)

Re: I am so sick of the whole "limited edition" watch thing! It seems like a company FINALLY develop

What?
    MZhammer likes this.

Moderator at Large stuffler,mike's Avatar

Re: I am so sick of the whole "limited edition" watch thing! It seems like a company FINALLY develop

Quote Originally Posted by Dooberfloober View Post
    What?
    This:

I It seems like a company FINALLY develops a really great watch AND THEN THEY DON'T WANT ANYBODY TO BUY IT!!!Imagine if Rolex had only made 500 pieces of the Submariner back in 1953 and never produced it again? HOW JACKASS STUPID WOULD THAT HAVE BEEN???! If you're in the business of selling watches THAN MAKE AND SELL WATCHES! If you just want to open a museum of "limited editions" than stop pretending to be a watch maker!
    Kind regards
    Mike

Instagram @mikestuffler

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Strong start already.
    Toothbras, MrCairo and Alysandir like this.

Your Rolex example is interesting. I have heard it proposed that one of the reasons brands do LE is because they create artificial scarcity and hopefully keep their value better. Higher resale values can help the brand from having to use big discounts and generally allows for stronger pricing. Rolex models perform so well in the secondary market that they do not need to use gimmicks like LE. I wonder if there is a strong correlation between resale value and tendency towards issuing Limited Editions for a given brand.
    MrCairo likes this.

It's demand creation; it's idiotic but tends to have a knock on effect for a brand.

Have a limited product in high demand and it has a knock on effect on other items in your brand. Watches aside, Nike and Adidas are doing it big time with sneakers
    MZhammer and BSOJ like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Jacobkg View Post
    Your Rolex example is interesting. I have heard it proposed that one of the reasons brands do LE is because they create artificial scarcity and hopefully keep their value better. Higher resale values can help the brand from having to use big discounts and generally allows for stronger pricing. Rolex models perform so well in the secondary market that they do not need to use gimmicks like LE. I wonder if there is a strong correlation between resale value and tendency towards issuing Limited Editions for a given brand.
    exactly this, but also more; there's also the consideration for capital expenditure - in terms of a microbrand launching a new product they have to source the capital in order to physically produce the watches. by capping the number of pieces they're going to produce they're able to precisely determine how much money they need to fund the endeavor. coupling the boring financial stuff with the LE status creating an artificial incentive to purchase on the ground floor they're able to rapidly fund their project.

What a stupid thing to say.

Rolex does limit production and distribution, just without having to actually call it Limited edition because their brand and models are successful enough. Try walking into a random Rolex AD and find a Daytona, bonus if you can find it in both colors.

You think they can't make more if they wanted to to ensure all their dealers have the most in demand models in stock all the time? Ofcourse they can and they will never do it for its that demand and relative scarcity that keeps them going even with their large volumes. Its just the same at a smaller scale and to a lesser degree with other brands and they need to resort to actual limited edition terminology to market it to create demand.
    fld likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Sun Bum View Post
    Tell us more. What brand? What watch?

There are many LEs out there and not all are the same...

In some cases - "LE" is just a limited production run and company may have no idea how much demand there will be, so they start with making 500 - and if sell all, they can possibly do another bigger run. But if they only sell 200 out of 500 - their investment loss is much smaller compared to building unlimited production line (especially true for microbrands, and others who don't actually manufacture stuff, but case things and don't know level of demand)

In other cases - LE may be due to limited time of watchmaker (MKII anyone) and may help keep price up.

In other cases - LEs are just extra source of income. Omega and their 2,346,758 Speedmaster LEs can piss off people. Especially since it's usually same watch with a slight dial and caseback variation. But if there are collectors of Speedy's who must have all 2,346,759 versions in their box... who am I to complain. Omega is just capturing all possible market $.
    soufiane likes this.
    "I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it." George Bernard Shaw
    "Don?t argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience" Greg King
    ?Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference.? Mark Twain
    "The problem with quotes found on the Internet is that it's hard to be sure of their authenticity." Abraham Lincoln
    "A Rose by any other name will smell as sweet. But it does not follow that whatever we choose to call a Rose will possess the Rose's fragrance." BB Warfield

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread Information