I am throwing myself at your mercy

Thread: I am throwing myself at your mercy

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

I am throwing myself at your mercy

For the first time in a long time, I find myself shopping for a watch and am completely adrift.

I am unprepared for a world that involves more than just Seiko and Timex. ( not quite that bad - but)

I have looked at the Seiko Alarm Chronos, especially the following models;

SNA551 ; SNA139 and SNA695.

All seem to be fine watches, I like the idea of the alarm though to be fair - don't know how much I would use it.

I looked at Diver watches such as the Swiss Army MAverick II, which seems to be a very nice watch - but is it my imagination that Swiss Army's are pricier than similar watches of another brand?

The Tissot PRS200 also looks to be a fine watch ( http://wristzone.stores.yahoo.net/t17148634.html ) with most of the features I would want. I like the screw down crowns for some reason.

Then I came across this Citizen -

http://citizenwatch.com/COC/English/...ber=AT0100-51A

Dive watch, Chrono, Eco-Drive, Titanium, etc.

Seems to be sort of the best of all world's but I can find no mentions of it anywhere, or for that matter very many mentions of any of the Citizen divers.

What say you folks on the Citizen, or the Tissot or the Swiss Army or am I best to just find a Seiko Diver and be done with it?

Re: I am throwing myself at your mercy

The world of watches is a very big place. It's easy to get overwhelmed.

Your question is difficult to answer...I think it boils down to what's important to you. Specifically, where do your preferences lie: Swiss or Japanese, automatic or quartz (including Eco-Drive), steel or titanium, chrono or no chrono. Do you have a budget you're trying to stay within?

Based on the models you've posted, it sounds like your ideal watch would have a kitchen sink of features. If that's really what you want, I'd suggest a Citizen caliber 2100 - Eco-Drive, chrono, alarm, power reserve, and you can get them in titanium. It's not a diver though, if that's what you're looking for. They're also pretty large watches.

As for the models you've mentioned, I do own an SNA139...it's a good solid watch, if a bit on the small side. Alarm isn't very loud. I can't put my finger on exactly why, but the bracelet strikes me as a little chintzy (it's not just the light weight of the titanium). The sweep chrono second hand is a nice feature.

And while I don't own that particular Tissot, I do have a couple of others, and I'd guess you'd be happy with this one. My experience with Tissots has been universally positive.

Maybe if you can clarify exactly which features are most important to you, we can give you some alternate suggestions. But I think you're on the right track with the watches you're looking at already.

Quote Originally Posted by MaxPower View Post

Maybe if you can clarify exactly which features are most important to you, we can give you some alternate suggestions. But I think you're on the right track with the watches you're looking at already.
    You're right, need to narrow it down, while the alarm would be a nice feature I don't think it is all that important and while I think the chrono features would be nice the truth is that I don't use the stopwatch on a digital all that much so wouldn't miss it if I didn't have it here - I suppose.

As to battery powered / automatic or eco drive - I'm pretty much on the fence. I used to have an automatic watch and thought it was great. I have worn battery powered for years and have no real complaints - I suppose the eco-drive is mature technology so it would be fine too.

I like the chronos ( looks and all ) but the reality is that something simple like a diver style may be a better bet (?).

One watch I had that I always liked, as a reference for sizing and what not, was the CAsio AMW320, it was a good watch.

I do want a good water resistance as I wear the darn thing all the time, riding, swimming , working in the yard, vacation, etc.

Does this help ( probably not)

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by toomanybikes View Post
    You're right, need to narrow it down, while the alarm would be a nice feature I don't think it is all that important and while I think the chrono features would be nice the truth is that I don't use the stopwatch on a digital all that much so wouldn't miss it if I didn't have it here - I suppose.

As to battery powered / automatic or eco drive - I'm pretty much on the fence. I used to have an automatic watch and thought it was great. I have worn battery powered for years and have no real complaints - I suppose the eco-drive is mature technology so it would be fine too.

I like the chronos ( looks and all ) but the reality is that something simple like a diver style may be a better bet (?).

One watch I had that I always liked, as a reference for sizing and what not, was the CAsio AMW320, it was a good watch.

I do want a good water resistance as I wear the darn thing all the time, riding, swimming , working in the yard, vacation, etc.

Does this help ( probably not)
    If diver is what you're looking for. You can't go wrong with Seiko monster as I have heard from multiple sources that they are the best bang for the buck. I do not have them, but have seen them and tried them. They seemed excellent watches for the money. Hope this helps.

Welcome to the watch world.
    I dont know whether to congradulate you or warn you though...

Well I ordered a Seiko SKX007J.

Not what I set out for - but it seems to be the one that I like the most.

Quote Originally Posted by toomanybikes View Post
    Well I ordered a Seiko SKX007J.

Not what I set out for - but it seems to be the one that I like the most.

Excellent choice. You can't possibly go wrong with that one.

If you're like most of us around here, then instead of acquiring just one watch that meets a broad set of criteria, you might prefer to acquire several that appeal to you in different ways. A Seiko auto diver, a Citizen eco-drive, a swiss chrono...After all, it's just money, right?

I hope you enjoy the new watch..... I think all the makes you named are good value, by and large. I've had excellent luck with Seiko and Citizen but haven't tried Tissot. Size is personal, as are all the frills, really. If the new one has an alarm, I hope it's loud enough to be heard. I've got a couple that happen to have alarms (I didn't choose the watch for the alarm) and I can't hear the bloody things at all!
    I notice your name is "toomanybikes"....... If you're into too many anythings, you'll probably wind up with too many watches too, so a warning may be more appropriate than congratulations!
    Good luck.

Toomanybikes for a reason

Yep, in retrospect the alarm thing was probably mis-guided on my part - I use the alarm on the Blackberry when I actually want to hear it.

Looking forward to getting my grubby mitts on the watch.

New York City: "The city that never sleeps". If it got some sleep, it wouldn't look so crappy!

Quote Originally Posted by MaxPower View Post
    As for the models you've mentioned, I do own an SNA139...it's a good solid watch, if a bit on the small side. Alarm isn't very loud. I can't put my finger on exactly why, but the bracelet strikes me as a little chintzy (it's not just the light weight of the titanium). The sweep chrono second hand is a nice feature.

And while I don't own that particular Tissot, I do have a couple of others, and I'd guess you'd be happy with this one. My experience with Tissots has been universally positive.
    I also have the SNA139 and I agree with what MaxPower about the alarm and the bracelet. The sweeping chrono hand mimics an automatic chrono hand and is very cool, as is the military style dial (the numbers as well as the 3 big hands are lumed).

I don't own the PRS200, but I have the PRS516 quartz chrono and PRS516 automatic and they are great quality watches.

If you feel you really need alarms try a G-Shock-- some of the fancier, all metal ones are quite impressive (if a little science-fictional )
    The best watch is the one that makes you happiest... and tells the time.

Take a look at the Citizen Echo Drive calibre 2100 nice watch hand assembled they say and has an alarm and is big enough the sub dials are easy to read alarm is easy to set and it has a power rserve meter !

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information