I bought a timegrapher and it's destroying lives - Page 5
Like Tree144Likes

Thread: I bought a timegrapher and it's destroying lives

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Re: I bought a timegrapher and it's destroying lives

(1st post from new guy here!) I have a Timegrapher and found that it's useful for quickly finding the differences in timekeeping in different positions of a watch, so that if I want to compensate for minor accuracy errors, I can leave the watch in a specific position overnight. For example, my daily wear Hamilton Khaki Navy Scuba (with H-10 movement) runs slow by about 2 seconds per day in normal usage (which is already quite good). I measured the watch on the Timegrapher in a bunch of different orientations and found that the crown down position ranges from +2 to +4 seconds per day. (Most other positions measured between -1 and -4.) So if I leave the watch sitting crown down overnight, it makes up most of the normal error, leaving it less than -1 second per day overall on most days.

First post here too. Recently rediscovered my watch obsession and picked up my first automatic - a Bulova with a Miyota Movement. Also bought my father a Tissot with a Powermatic 80 for father's day, and a nice looking Chinese automatic watch as a gift to a lady friend. My father also gave me his old Seiko 5 from the 70s that had been sitting for probably 20+ years. Still works and keeps seemingly good time.

Just bought a timegrapher off Amazon - the typical 1000 - to fuel my curiosity and understanding a little further. Putting the Seiko on the grapher was an eye opener in comparison to the modern pieces. While it felt like it kept decent time, I can now observe that the amplitude is low and the balance is significantly off. I won't try and service any of the watches I have but it's definitely cool to be able to empirically measure all the different positions and their effect on the movement/balance.

I'm kind of excited to find inexpensive pieces locally that I wouldn't be worried about opening up and attempting a regulation adjustment, or possibly piecing something together DIY style.
    BarracksSi likes this.

I downloaded the Timegrapher software another member developed and built my mic out of pvc and a $10 lavalier mic from Amazon. You have to hold the watch in vertical positions and you get a little noise but all in all it works great.
    This is a new Steinhart Ocean Premium 500 Ti.
    Attached Images Attached Images

BonyWrists and watchcrank like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Favorite thread on here. Haha

I'd add that the difference between the Weishi 1000 (the actual model pictured above is ofrei's version) and the Weishi 1900 is about $50 and the difference is night and day. The display is color (really useful on beat error, each line gets it own color), it's about twice the size and resolution, and most importantly, it has a digital filter to minimize snow. Also, you can use it on co-axial movements and get reasonable amplitudes. Sorry if you already spent $150 on the 1000.

With a little experience, the timegrapher is a valuable tool; it will show many problems that lead to damage before the damage is done (particularly low amplitude and positional differences in amplitude). It just takes a while to learn how to use it, and some courage to get over the foibles.
    watchcrank likes this.
    Watch collecting, it's better than hookers and blow. Well, blow anyway.
    Watchmaking. I'm learning how not to do it. Rapidly.
    Nasty Hobbitses. Sméagol hates tequila!

Wouldn't a timegrapher need some sort of a clock in it as a reference, probably quartz, and wouldn't that be subject to error? And does the temp or position of the timegrapher matter? To be absolutely certain of accurate results I would think that one would need at least three timegraphers to cross-check each other, or else some sort of a reference signal based on a known predictably accurate source.

Not having the counter space for all those timegraphers I use the following method: when watch is a little slow, I nudge the adjustment lever a smidge towards the '+'. When a little fast, I nudge a smidge torwards the '-'. I don't really care if a watch beats like a Cuban jazz band, so long as whenever I look at it, it shows the correct time, or very close thereto. After all, that's what I'm paying for.
    Sonnydaze likes this.

The Weishis come with a calibration port which is USB type 2 in form but no-one knows how it works. I suspect one line is clock, one is ground, one is TX and the last is RX for a serial port but that's just a guess (what I'd do). It's certainly possible that it's a standard USB interface but I would think that the clock signal would have to be on it in order to be compared against an external reference.

There's a great discussion on a teardown of a 1900 at https://www.eevblog.com/forum/review...pher-teardown/ with speculation on it's accuracy. Cousins lists the absolute accuracy as +- 1.0 sec/day.

I'd like to hack the audio connector to take the signal off for an amplifier and speaker and to hook to a scope. According to the link, it's a standard 3 pin DIN connector and they indicate the pin functions so maybe I can find mating plugs.
    Watch collecting, it's better than hookers and blow. Well, blow anyway.
    Watchmaking. I'm learning how not to do it. Rapidly.
    Nasty Hobbitses. Sméagol hates tequila!

duped below sorry

haha

Quote Originally Posted by ExpiredWatchdog View Post
    The Weishis come with a calibration port which is USB type 2 in form but no-one knows how it works..........
    That comment saved me a lot of time!

Also trying to figure out how to properly use the gain, i.e. when does screen indicate you should up/down.
    And what do those little numbers on the screen below the big numbers mean?

For something that's so widely used, it's surprisingly poorly documented.

I bought a 1900 (only around £20 more than the 1000) 2wks ago and have spent hours and hours putting watches on it and reading dozens of threads here and elsewhere on how best to use a Timegrapher and interpret the results.

I've had some real surprises, with cheaper, older watches (mostly Russian) giving better readings than far more expensive and newer, such as a Hamilton Khaki King and Seiko Prospex PADI diver.

Does it make me more obsessive than I already am? Nope, I doubt that's possible. It's great fun to see just how crap some of my watches perform on the Timegrapher and I'll just live with the results for some of the watches I know I can't service and that aren't worth spending the money on to do so.

Well worth the money though. Don't listen to the naysayers, they know nothing. Buy one, you know you want to!

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread Information