I can't believe I'm asking this, but...
Like Tree14Likes
  • 1 Post By KnightDoughboy
  • 10 Post By katfromTN
  • 1 Post By katfromTN
  • 2 Post By Estradagy

Thread: I can't believe I'm asking this, but...

I can't believe I'm asking this, but...

Can anyone who own both the Monta Triumph and the Omega Railmaster Non-LE chime in with their personal experience?

I'm looking for an everyday casual watch and these two watches are what I'm currently looking at.

I've seen some pretty big praise for Monta as a brand; somewhere along the lines of "Matches closer to the quality of Omega than Hamilton, Longines, etc" which got me really considering and even comparing the two. (Something that sounds absurd to me even as I type this)

Looks are subjective so I won't ask for that, but:

Quality
    Comfort
    Likes/Dislikes

would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
    katfromTN likes this.

Re: I can't believe I'm asking this, but...

Quote Originally Posted by KnightDoughboy View Post
    Can anyone who own both the Monta Triumph and the Omega Railmaster Non-LE chime in with their personal experience?

I'm looking for an everyday casual watch and these two watches are what I'm currently looking at.

I've seen some pretty big praise for Monta as a brand; somewhere along the lines of "Matches closer to the quality of Omega than Hamilton, Longines, etc" which got me really considering and even comparing the two. (Something that sounds absurd to me even as I type this)

Looks are subjective so I won't ask for that, but:

Quality
    Comfort
    Likes/Dislikes

would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
    Wow, I canít believe that I can answer this one! Iíve owned the Railmaster and currently have on borrow from a friend, the Triumph and have been wearing it for 3 weeks now.

Quality:
    This is a tough one. Omega knows how to finish a case, with incredibly sharp edges and the curved lugs that no one else can match. The Triumph honestly, is so close to being Omega quality. Having owned many mid tier Swiss brands such as Hamilton, Tissot, etc, the Monta imo is better finished than most of them. Where the Monta fails (it any), is in movement perhaps especially when comparing it to the Railmaster Master Co-Axial movement. I will say that it has an incredibly smooth second hand and I believe they modify their sellita movements and Iíve had no issues with accuracy at all. The detailed finishing on the Monta is just crazy good and while I canít say the finishing is better than Omega, itís to me at least better than the Rolexís Iíve owned (an Air King 14200 and a Explorer II 16570).

Comfort:
    The Monta is the more comfortable watch hands down. The Railmaster to me is a bit too heavy for its very light and disappointing bracelet Omega choose for it. Monta has a weight and feel that is proportional to the watch and the links curve to your wrist for maximum comfort. The Triumph is also incredibly thin and although as a female I donít have issues with trying to fit a watch under the cuff of my shirt, Iím sure for a man thinness would be preferred. The Railmaster wears about right for a 40mm and the Triumph imo wears more like a 39mm than a 38.5. The Monta clasp definitely feels more secure as it has a clasp locking mechanism where as the Railmaster has the butterfly clasp. Both have screw down crowns that are very easy to grip and turn.

Likes/dislikes:
    The dial on the Charcoal Railmaster I owned is crazy insane. Changes colors depending on light and never got bored staring at it. The printed text and numerals also had a nice texture to them and the watch as a whole, had a lot of character while being a badass watch on the inside. The Monta Triumph also has an incredible sunburst grey dial but it much more subtle, this is ok as the polished beveled edges of the case really make the watch pop and ultimately what makes it feel so high quality. I ended up selling my Railmaster as for me, I didnít love the all brushed case and I really have to have a date for my everyday wearer. While I now have filled my everyday watch void with the Rolex Explorer II, I still lust for the Monta and find myself not wanting to send my friend his back as it is so nice. If I had to choose between the two right now, it would be very very hard, but Iíd probably go Monta because of the way if feels on the wrist. Reminds me a lot of Rolex, as Omega tends to be too thick/heavy these days.

**also, not that this is a huge deal. But the Monta case/box presentation is every bit as good as Omega and you get a carrying case, extra nato and strap changing tool.

Hope that helps!
    Kat

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The funny thing is I was already leaning towards the Monta in the first place! Your comments certainly add to that (A date feature would be preferred). Crazy to think that the Triumph has a 2-0 head start against the Railmaster.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by KnightDoughboy View Post
    The funny thing is I was already leaning towards the Monta in the first place! Your comments certainly add to that (A date feature would be preferred). Crazy to think that the Triumph has a 2-0 head start against the Railmaster.
    Yeah, it definitely is but the quality for what you pay is insane. Like I said, movement wise, the Railmaster takes the lead and I think the RM is the more ďtoolĒ watch to get if thatís what your after. But I think the Monta is better value for money, and is more versatile. Send me a message if you have any more questions. Hereís a couple of pics of both that Iíve had. My wrist are around 6.5 inches.

barryallen44 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by katfromTN View Post
    Wow, I canít believe that I can answer this one! Iíve owned the Railmaster and currently have on borrow from a friend, the Triumph and have been wearing it for 3 weeks now.

Quality:
    This is a tough one. Omega knows how to finish a case, with incredibly sharp edges and the curved lugs that no one else can match. The Triumph honestly, is so close to being Omega quality. Having owned many mid tier Swiss brands such as Hamilton, Tissot, etc, the Monta imo is better finished than most of them. Where the Monta fails (it any), is in movement perhaps especially when comparing it to the Railmaster Master Co-Axial movement. I will say that it has an incredibly smooth second hand and I believe they modify their sellita movements and Iíve had no issues with accuracy at all. The detailed finishing on the Monta is just crazy good and while I canít say the finishing is better than Omega, itís to me at least better than the Rolexís Iíve owned (an Air King 14200 and a Explorer II 16570).

Comfort:
    The Monta is the more comfortable watch hands down. The Railmaster to me is a bit too heavy for its very light and disappointing bracelet Omega choose for it. Monta has a weight and feel that is proportional to the watch and the links curve to your wrist for maximum comfort. The Triumph is also incredibly thin and although as a female I donít have issues with trying to fit a watch under the cuff of my shirt, Iím sure for a man thinness would be preferred. The Railmaster wears about right for a 40mm and the Triumph imo wears more like a 39mm than a 38.5. The Monta clasp definitely feels more secure as it has a clasp locking mechanism where as the Railmaster has the butterfly clasp. Both have screw down crowns that are very easy to grip and turn.

Likes/dislikes:
    The dial on the Charcoal Railmaster I owned is crazy insane. Changes colors depending on light and never got bored staring at it. The printed text and numerals also had a nice texture to them and the watch as a whole, had a lot of character while being a badass watch on the inside. The Monta Triumph also has an incredible sunburst grey dial but it much more subtle, this is ok as the polished beveled edges of the case really make the watch pop and ultimately what makes it feel so high quality. I ended up selling my Railmaster as for me, I didnít love the all brushed case and I really have to have a date for my everyday wearer. While I now have filled my everyday watch void with the Rolex Explorer II, I still lust for the Monta and find myself not wanting to send my friend his back as it is so nice. If I had to choose between the two right now, it would be very very hard, but Iíd probably go Monta because of the way if feels on the wrist. Reminds me a lot of Rolex, as Omega tends to be too thick/heavy these days.

**also, not that this is a huge deal. But the Monta case/box presentation is every bit as good as Omega and you get a carrying case, extra nato and strap changing tool.

Hope that helps!
    Kat

This was a great explanation and piggy backs on everything I've read, watched on Monta. I personally pre-ordered the slate grey atlas, and can't wait for it to get here mid September.

I also agree with her. My friend has a railmaster and it is definitely thicker. Personally, I have an explorer 14270 and can see what Omega tried to do here and the finishing and quality are definitely there. It's an incredible piece overall, but the thickness takes some points off for me.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
    barryallen44 and katfromTN like this.

Omegas are very nice, but some are just too huge to appeal to me.

And I agree, they could make better bracelet choices lately.
    "Either he's dead or my watch has stopped"
    Groucho Marx

"The only reason for time is so that everything does not happen at once..."
    Albert Einstein

I absolutely love my Railmaster.. It's the watch I wear daily and don't have to worry about it. 150m water resistance with a Co-Axial movement is just perfect IMO. Let me know if you have other questions and I will be happy to answer!

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Thread Information