I don?t get the point of knowingly purchasing replica watches
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Monocrom
  • 2 Post By lovecraft22

Thread: I don?t get the point of knowingly purchasing replica watches

I donít get the point of knowingly purchasing replica watches

Bear with me just a bit. A friend of mine was tempted about buying a Montblanc replica for a bit more than $100, and we got into a bit of a discussion, with me arguing that it isnít worth it. My points:
    1. Unless it is a Rolex, Omega or Cartier, most people will not notice or even recognize a watch, so thereís no point in buying something that nobody will notice. Most people donít even know what a Zenith is and how it is different from a Stuhrling.
    2. I believe that we purchase watches mostly for ourselves. Yes, we get really happy in the odd chance that someone notices our watches and asks us about them, but in reality we are the ones who love and admire our own watches. Thereís no point in purchasing a fake because you would be unable to love it.
    3. Even if you purchase a fake Rolex that could get noticed, people are going to realize that you canít really afford it, unless your clothing, car, etc matches it. Who drives a Yugo while sporting a real rolex?
    4. Quality wise, youíd be far better off with a Seiko/Swiss Army than with a so-called AAA replica for those $100.

I get that there are replicas out there made to scam well-meaning buyers (who then find out the scam or proudly wear their watches), but why would anyone knowingly purchase a replica?

Re: I donít get the point of knowingly purchasing replica watches

You've just broken the rules, no discussion on replicas.

Ozy

Quote Originally Posted by Brisman View Post
    Pavo absolutus

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

The world is full of very insecure individuals. They have little self worth, and thus need others to be impressed by them. But they've not done anything worthy of others to be impressed by. So, they'll buy a replica luxury watch, and show it off. It's called "fronting." Little more than adults playing pretend in order to impress others around them. A replica Rolex, an Armani label sewn over the actual one of their cheap jacket, leased luxury car that they're behind on in payments, fake Gucci sunglasses, fake jewelry, etc.

All just adults playing pretend, just to get noticed by others who might envy the phoniness that is barely skin deep, without seeing it for what it is.
    portauto likes this.
    "The World is insane. With tiny spots of sanity here and there. Not the other way around." ~ John Cleese.

If that's the case, I'm sorry. I guess I just misinterpreted the rules.

The way I understood it, the point of the rule is to avoid discussion about specific replica watches.
    Last edited by DarthVedder; June 24th, 2013 at 10:01.

Am I the only one here who doesn't give a thing of others noticing my watch? I'm actually a little bit embarrassed when that happens. I buy watches for myself because I like them, not because I want others to notice them....

Quote Originally Posted by lovecraft22 View Post
    Am I the only one here who doesn't give a thing of others noticing my watch? I'm actually a little bit embarrassed when that happens. I buy watches for myself because I like them, not because I want others to notice them....
    I don’t really care if nobody notices my watches (I don’t even own really noticeable luxury watches like Rolex or Cartier), but I’ve certainly liked the very few occasions when someone have commented on a watch I’m wearing.

I do find it funny that most people, especially women, are more likely to notice a showy Michael Kors over anything I own.
    Last edited by DarthVedder; June 24th, 2013 at 10:23.

Yep - thread closed

Thread Information