"I don't buy a good watch cause I break my watches"
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: "I don't buy a good watch cause I break my watches"

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

"I don't buy a good watch cause I break my watches"

I hear that all the time. People will admire my watch, ask me how much I paid (I hate that question so much, but sometimes I will answer). And they will say, "Wow! What a ripoff for a watch, I'd never pay that much, I just break my watches."

Really? You're doing activities to routinely break your watch beyond repair? Or you don't have the common sense to take it off while you're doing a damaging activity?
    And do the people who are doing activities rough enough to physically break a strong piece of metal ever happen to break their arm or other body part?

I guess that keeps people from buying a 90 dollar watch every year as opposed to a quality one that'll last them a lifetime.

I've also heard, "I don't own a nice watch because I'd just lose it."

You lose something that's attached to your arm?

I understand people who don't want to own a nice watch or A watch at all, it's their choice, but don't go telling me watches are too expensive because your dumb ass breaks them. By that stretch of the imagination, my Ray Ban sunglasses must suck because I doubt they'd last being run over by my car.

Sorry, just needed to vent about the millions of times i've heard those excuses. :)

Re: "I don't buy a good watch cause I break my watches"

I think what you are really hearing is that person does not see any sense in paying a lot of money for a watch let alone several watches. It has nothing to do with watch breakage and everything to do with personal priorities. Some of us see watches as more than simple timekeepers while others don't. No big deal since a well made watch that will last for decades can be bought for under $100.00 Seiko and Citizen automatics as well as quartz watches from a slew of reputable companies come to mind.

The way someone asks a question like that is usually an excellent indicator of where the conversation might head. Sometimes it is best to control the discussion and not talk specifics.
    Last edited by John MS; December 11th, 2011 at 23:26.

Does your watchmaker smile when he sees you and calls you by your first name?

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I think broadly you can divide people into three classes in this regard: (1) those who prefer high quality craftsmanship in general, (2) those who prefer high quality craftsmanship with regard to some particular class or classes of items but otherwise prefer cheap stuff, and (3) those people who prefer to find the cheapest available item that serves the function in all contexts. A lot of people just buy the most inexpensive cars, clothes, shoes, kitchen utensils, watches, glasses, etc. that they can find. To some people, this is actually a form of transcendence, a rejection of the pettiness of coveting material things. To others, high quality craftsmanship is a form of transcendence. To each his own.

In my opinion you are either a WIS or you're not. A WIS will buy a watch regardless of actual value or cost If they like it and can afford it. A Non WIS will probably appreciate, perhaps even own a nice timepiece but the buck stops there. I have learned to just let them be, If they show genuine interest in what I have on Ill indulge them to a certain degree, Ill even throw a light compliment on their watch, if I like it. But I'm done showing off and preaching.

I had a similar conversation with someone once, I was showing off my Steinhart, and suggested that he would probably appreciate one as well, I went over the features, described a few things about watches and why this one in particular was great...His answer was just along the line of your comment..."Nah Ill probably break it at work." Fast forward a few months same person, and a few others gang up around me and "casually" start talking about watches....I pretended to be distracted while they showed off theirs, and discussed price and quality, one by one until someone said, "Hey what do you have on?,,, I bet its really high quality,,Yeah he likes German watches they said amongst themselves...I stuck out my wrist and said nah I got this one In wall mart for about $100 bucks, its a cheap chinese watch...And let them have a little fun at my expense.
    Anyways lesson learned, I like watches, not many others do, or care. So Ill just keep it to myself from now on, Unless I meet a WIS, then maybe I could talk for hours.
    Duder, EHV, fasthandssam and 1 others like this.

The only time I don't mind answering how much I paid for a watch is when I am talking to another WIS friend of mine, because I know that he is in the game as well, and appreciates the deal and value/price aspect. Otherwise I hate when people ask me what I paid. Either you get these reactions like you have wasted your money because they would never pay that for a watch, or that's nothing because there uncle or someone paid 20k for a Rolex. So I have begun to wave off that question from the non wis. I just say "Too much".
    *El Ocho 1* likes this.

It's just a question of value. I'd sooner buy a $5K watch than a $5K vacation, wine collection, or a suit. OTOH, I don't agree with the need to buy watches that last 100 years. Tastes change and I have no need to pass it on. (Who's to say your kid will like it anyway?)

If people don't take care of their property, they probably didn't value the property much in the first place. The breaking isn't a cause of avoiding a nice watch, it's a symptom.
    *El Ocho 1* likes this.

I get the same argument about everything that I like. Watches, sunglasses, lighters (not that my lighter is extravagant, but I believe a man needs a good lighter, even if it's no more than a Zippo), et al. No matter, I am what I am and I walk on.
    TAG Heuer Monaco LE|Omega Speedmaster|Seamaster 300MC|Rolex Submariner|Tudor Ranger

How did it get so late so soon?

To each his own...
    mebiuspower and corn cob kid like this.
    " A great time piece on your wrist show you are serious of time "

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread Information