I don't know what to get

Thread: I don't know what to get

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

I don't know what to get

Hi,

I want to buy my first 'high end' (luxury) watch. I don't have a huge budget but it doesn't have to be expensive but good quality and the right look.

I'm willing to spend up to £3000 if needed. Fortunately the styles I like tend to be cheaper. I think I've worked out I want a Bauhaus style watch and it has to be an automatic with smooth moving second hand and the date.

I did like the Mondaine Automatic but I think they're got a standard ETA movement? but then it is only £400.

I love the look of the Junghans Max Bill range (not the chronoscope) I could get one of these for abour £600. What is the movement on these watches?

I've come across the Nomos Glashutte Tangomet, I think this is about £2000 and has a good in-house build automatic but I've not heard anything further? comments?

Slightly away from this style I was keen on a Bell & Ross, particularly the limited edition red one, this watch is £3000 and if I'm not mistaken is a 'fashion' watch with a rubbish movement? I could always get a less limited version for about £1800?

I think my perfect watch is the IWC Portuguese but I couldn't justify spending £5000 on it. I'd feel guilty enough with £3000.

Any input on a good automatic, with a great movement, and date would be greatly appreciated.

Much thanks,
    Jimmi

Re: I don't know what to get

Oh my lord - I think I'll push the boat out and get one of these. Oh my lord they're perfect.

D.Dornblüth & Sohn » Intro

v76

Dornblüth watches are amazing, Dirk Dornblüth's a master watchmaker. Great choice for a mid/high-end watch! You'll have something very exclusive and personally handcrafted that way. You can also order engravings on the movement plates.
    Collection:
    A few of this and some of the other ...

"I worked my way up from nothing to a state of extreme poverty" - Groucho Marx

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I've requested the price list. Would you have any idea of the prices?? I'm thinking 3000 - 5000 euros for white dial, blue armed 99.1??

Moderator at Large stuffler,mike's Avatar

All you need to know regarding the Tangomat:

https://forums.watchuseek.com/f67/rev...cs-408076.html

https://forums.watchuseek.com/f8/dres...st1558771.html

Bell & Ross is not a fashion brand and these watches do not use rubbish movements. A lot of homework to do.
    The Mondaine Automatic is fitted with a reliable workhorse: ETA 2836-2
    The Junghans Max Bill encases a J.800 which is an ETA 2824-2, available with ETA 2801 haw too.

If it has to be an automatic movement you ruled the 99.1 and Dornblüth out.
    Last edited by stuffler,mike; December 1st, 2010 at 23:42.
    Kind regards
    Mike

Instagram @mikestuffler

v76

I'd say it's between Euro 3000 and 4000 for the white dial 99.1 with heat-blued hands.
    Collection:

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmidnicholls View Post
    Oh my lord - I think I'll push the boat out and get one of these. Oh my lord they're perfect.

D.Dornblüth & Sohn » Intro
    You read my mind.

v76

Check out some great pics of the 99.1 ...
    https://forums.watchuseek.com/f8/well...p3-455857.html
    Collection:

Quote Originally Posted by v76 View Post
    Check out some great pics of the 99.1 ...
    https://forums.watchuseek.com/f8/well...p3-455857.html
    I think I'm going to go with the 99.4 I do like a date function. I want h to buy something to wear whilst waiting 8 months for it's delivery. It needs to be a different style to the 99.4. I'm thinking the br03 phantom?? Be I do have quite small wrists. I'm going to go watch shopping in the morning.

Anyone got any suggestions in the £2000/€2300 price band that is totally different to the Dornblueth 99.4!

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmidnicholls View Post
    I think I'm going to go with the 99.4 I do like a date function. I want h to buy something to wear whilst waiting 8 months for it's delivery. It needs to be a different style to the 99.4. I'm thinking the br03 phantom?? Be I do have quite small wrists. I'm going to go watch shopping in the morning.

Anyone got any suggestions in the £2000/€2300 price band that is totally different to the Dornblueth 99.4!
    The Mondaine you mentioned in your OP is a nice watch that you will not see very often in the wild. I have one and am very pleased with it. It is very well put together, reasonably priced, and the Bauhaus design is always pleasing. It gets compliments every time I wear it. And of course it brings to mind taking the train through Europe. The fact that a watch has an ETA movement shouldn't dissuade you. We sneer at Swatch, but if you look at the pedigree behind ETA, it has much of modern watch history all in one company. Many if not most of what people consider very exclusive brands have ETA movements in them. In short it is a worthy addition to any collection and will serve you well while you wait for your bespoke watch.

-T
    So what difference does it make, whether it's 20 minutes or 20 years, since neither amounts to the faintest echo of the tiniest whisper in the thunder of time.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information