"I don't respond to lowball offers"
Like Tree329Likes

Thread: "I don't respond to lowball offers"

Page 1 of 21 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

"I don't respond to lowball offers"

Here on the forum recently a member had a watch I was looking for listed for $1500 / Sent him a nice email with an offer of $1200. Few days went by with no response so I wrote him another note asking if he saw my original message and asking if the watch had been sold. Got a snarky response saying he considered my offer lowball and he didn't respond to lowball offers.
    My response to him was I was ready to pay the $1500 but who offers full price for anything and how are buyers to know what a lowball price is? It's not like I offered $500. I was thinking I offer $1200 - he counters with $1400 -I say OK we have a deal but again, I would have paid the $1500 if he said the price was firm (the ad did not).
    95% of the guys I've dealt with here have been great. To the other 5% my advise is to be nice / you never know who's got $2000 burning a hole in their Paypal account - BTW, this happened a few weeks back and that watch still has not sold.
    Sorry for the mini rant.

Re: "I don't respond to lowball offers"

agreed with you, that was a good offer to counter.. but I guess some people don't know the game.

my favorite reply to low ball offers is "sold at asking price, thanks" ;)
    "A man with one watch knows what time it is, a man with two watches is never quite sure."

BTW, this happened a few weeks back and that watch still has not sold.
    offer him a lower amount than the $1200! see if he's learnt his lesson.

regardless if i like the offer or not, i think a response is always required. ignoring a potential buyer is kinda rude if you ask me.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

this guy lost out, and so be it. I would never turn down an offer that was in the ballpark of asking price. You're right, people like to haggle (me included) and a 1200 offer could easily turn into 1400, so it is stupid for a seller to completely ignore an interested buyer. I should be so lucky that next time I sell a watch I get an immediate offer for close to asking!

I should be so lucky that next time I sell a watch I get an immediate offer for close to asking!
    my pelagos says yo :P
    Toothbras likes this.

Unfortunately, there will always be that 5%. They act like you are inconveniencing them by replying to their ad . $1200 off of a $1500 asking price is definitely not lowballing in my book. If the ad said FIRM, then ok, I can see the seller's argument. In this case, the seller lost out. And people wonder why they haven't moved their watch that has been listed for 3 months.

You never know.

Let's say the watch in question was a decent example that by a clear margin was the lowest priced example currently on the market and was priced a little below the lowest recent sales on Ebay. Offering $1200 would be a low ball offer.

On the other hand, let's say the watch in question was priced by a clear margin above the highest priced example currently on the market and was priced above the highest recent sales on Ebay. Offering $1200 might be appropriate.

These days, it is pretty easy to figure out the fair value of a watch, so to me it makes sense to make a fair value offer and if the seller doesn't respond to the offer no big deal. Excepting truly rare watches, another opportunity to buy will come along eventually.

I think this is why I couldn't deal with the used market. Also likely why I don't make more money....

Some people like to negotiate. Others feel that a price is a price.

On a forum with people from all around the world well..........there are some human differences, cultural, and any other kind you can think of. I'd not get mad over someone find a lower price offensive, but that person is likely in the minority.
    cmann_97 and kostasd87 like this.

Yeah, that's annoying but not nearly as annoying as the idiots that post "$1500 net to me". Look bonehead, eat the paypal/shipping fees for crying out loud or just post it 5% higher!

Bob
    Current Collection
    Omega Seamaster 2542.20 "Bond" - white dial, Breitling Colt GMT - silver, UTS 500M Bauhaus black, Sinn U1 - black, Sinn U1 -
    Orange - Doxa SUB 1200T Professional- Orange, Doxa Divingstar 300 - Yellow, Alpina Extreme 40 Sailing Chronograph - black, Tag Heuer SEL Link - Grey, Tag Heuer 1000 - Black Coral, AEgir CD-2 - grey, Benarus Moray - Green, Nauticfish 1000M - Blue, Boschett Cave Dweller - Yellow​, Boschett Cave Dweller - Grey, Boschett Legacy - Black/Gold, Bernhardt Sea Shark - red, Irreantum Magellan - blue, Irreantum Magellan - Orange, Ocean7 LM1 - Lume dial , Artego 500M - blue, Helson Shark Diver(45mm) - white/blue, Oliver Bronze - ​Brown, Hailos Holotype- yellow

It is rude not to respond to a reasonable offer. $1,200.00 is reasonable for someone asking for $1,500.00. From a pure courtesy point of view, the Seller should have thanked you for your offer and said something like, "Thank you very much for your offer but my best price is as per my sale price, or $1,400.00, or..."
    toloen, Docrwm, WatchNut22 and 4 others like this.
    Dan.
    A. Lange & Sohne 1815 Up/Down
    H. Moser & Cie Pioneer Centre Seconds
    Jaeger-LeCoultre Reverso Tribute Small Seconds
    Officine Panerai Radiomir PAM 720
    Rolex Submariner 114060 (No Date)
    Cartier Santos WSSA0010
    Apple Watch Series 4 Nike+
    Seiko SKX007
    Seiko SKX009
    Casio G-Shock Rangeman GW-9400-1
    Casio G-Shock GA-700
    Casio G-Shock DW-5600E
    And others (not really worth mentioning)

Page 1 of 21 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Thread Information