I don't understand the disdain over Invicta, this particular Invicta I purchased is one...
Like Tree88Likes

Thread: I don't understand the disdain over Invicta, this particular Invicta I purchased is one...

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 74
  1. #1
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    16

    I don't understand the disdain over Invicta, this particular Invicta I purchased is one...

    the nicest watches in my collection.

    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...00_i00_details

    I see comments stating "do not pay over $200 for an Invicta." This puzzles me because usually the sub $200 Invictas are the knockoff versions of other brands. That doesn't interest me because clearly Invicta is capable of unique beautiful timepieces of their own creation, like the Lupah Revolution with a 25 jewel swiss movement that I posted above. Make sure you look at the amazon photos of the exhibition caseback, it's beautiful. It's also one of the few Invicta's i've seen with a serial number as it is a reserve "limited edition."

    Yes, I paid $800 for an Invicta, but I like it more than my $1800 Tag and get more complements on it than the Tag as well.

    I'm simply asking: What is wrong with this watch? What is wrong with Invicta that so many knock the brand when IMO they make some wonderful timepieces if you stay away from the knockoffs. I own only about 3 of their watches, but so far I haven't had a problem. I just think it's kind of backwards that watch collectors tend to go for the cheapo Rolex submariner knockoff Invicta and tell people to stay away from their own unique creations. I get that when you get above $300 you can start buying fantastic watches from other manufacturers, but IMO some of the best Invicta's are over that price point. I can't find the link but there was a Pro Diver with a meteorite dial and a swiss automatic Valjoux movement for about $1,400. It did not have the rolex styling, it was completely unique and one of the nicest looking watches I've seen and for a Swiss automatic, didn't seem too expensive. had I the cash when I saw it, I probably would have purchased it. BUt then I read comments on sites like this and begin to question my judgement, and that's the purpose of this topic.

    Can somebody explain why this is a bad watch and not worth its value? I truly think it's one of the nicest and most unique watches I've ever seen. I'm curious as to what you guys think, because I definitely don't know as much about watches as some of you here.

    Yes, I know Invicta's MSRPs are ridiculous and that turns many people off, as it is technically shady business practices, but I don't let that deter me from enjoying a good product, and some of their watches IMO are simply good products.
    Last edited by Saogaged; December 5th, 2011 at 04:52.

  2. #2
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    16

    Re: I don't understand the disdain over Invicta, this particular Invicta I purchased is one...

    Also, I understand Invicta gets brought up a lot on here, I'm simply posting the watch I purchased and looking for opinions on it. I expanded my point to touch on the fact that I'm generally confused why people stay away from the higher end Invicta watches when they are so much nicer than the lower end offerings that are generally the knock-offs that ironically people tend to criticize.

  3. #3
    Member baronrojo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Bay Area, CA
    Posts
    3,236

    Re: I don't understand the disdain over Invicta, this particular Invicta I purchased is one...

    Because for that same $800 you can get a quality Swiss timepiece from a reputable company.

  4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements
     

  5. #4
    Member Metlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    7,149

    Re: I don't understand the disdain over Invicta, this particular Invicta I purchased is one...

    I look forward to this thread.

  6. #5
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    16

    Re: I don't understand the disdain over Invicta, this particular Invicta I purchased is one...

    Quote Originally Posted by baronrojo View Post
    Because for that same $800 you can get a quality Swiss timepiece from a reputable company.
    So what's wrong with the watch I posted? The quality of it fantastic. The movement is beautiful.

    I have a TAG Aquaracer, two Movado's, a Hamilton Khaki Xwind, and a Seiko automatic diver I love, and this Invicta is probably my favorite. But I feel like I'm one of the few who actually really likes the brand and I just don't understand it. If you point out why the watch falls short or why it's not worht the money, other than by saying "it's an Invicta," I'd appreciate it.

  7. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    372

    Re: I don't understand the disdain over Invicta, this particular Invicta I purchased is one...

    Quote Originally Posted by Saogaged View Post
    Also, I understand Invicta gets brought up a lot on here, I'm simply posting the watch I purchased and looking for opinions on it. I expanded my point to touch on the fact that I'm generally confused why people stay away from the higher end Invicta watches when they are so much nicer than the lower end offerings that are generally the knock-offs that ironically people tend to criticize.
    It is a poorly made, over-sized monstrosity, mass produced in a Chinese sweatshop.

    Also, there is no such thing as a "higher end Invicta." Some just cost more than others, that's all.

  8. #7
    Member Ticktocker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Sausalito, Ca.
    Posts
    1,226

    Re: I don't understand the disdain over Invicta, this particular Invicta I purchased is one...

    As far as I'm concerned, my negative opinions about Invicta are from negative personal experiences and I don't think anyone wants to beat a dead horse when it comes to Invicta's quality control. I don't pay more money than I am willing to lose if my Invicta has a major problem. That's why I wouldn't pay more than about $150 for an Invicta. I don't agree that their high end watches are so much nicer than their lower end watches. I don't care for their original designs and styles and wouldn't pay $50 for any oversized, clownish watch but I think that they do make a nice Rolex knock off that seems to be less prone to the typical Invicta problems. Customer service is horrible and mostly non-existent in many cases so if you are ok with that, I say keep on making your $800 purchases. Of course not every watch is a horrible mess. There are many, many people that have never had a problem with Invicta and have no idea why anyone would complain. Once you get bitten a few times by the Invicta dog, get no results whatsoever from C.S. and find yourself feeling foolish for going back to Invicta, you start to understand what all the complaints are about. If you are happy with your Invicta watches and feel comfortable trusting that your $800 was well spent, it makes no difference what others think. Just enjoy your watches.
    averagejoe303 likes this.

  9. #8
    Member baronrojo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Bay Area, CA
    Posts
    3,236

    Re: I don't understand the disdain over Invicta, this particular Invicta I purchased is one...

    Quote Originally Posted by Saogaged View Post
    So what's wrong with the watch I posted? The quality of it fantastic. The movement is beautiful.

    I have a TAG Aquaracer, two Movado's, a Hamilton Khaki Xwind, and a Seiko automatic diver I love, and this Invicta is probably my favorite. But I feel like I'm one of the few who actually really likes the brand and I just don't understand it. If you point out why the watch falls short or why it's not worht the money, other than by saying "it's an Invicta," I'd appreciate it.
    I can list a plethora of watches that can be had for that same amount of money. New watches...vintage...Swiss...Japanese...German...wa tches that come from actual watch companies.

    Invicta is a brand that is not liked by many for a multitude of reasons. Shoddy manufacturing...poor customer service...cheap movements...just do a search and look at previous threads and complaints.

    Hey...if you like your watch then more power to you...wear it and enjoy it. Personally I would rather spend $800 elsewhere.
    Last edited by baronrojo; December 5th, 2011 at 05:19.
    averagejoe303 and blacksocom like this.

  10. #9
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    16

    Re: I don't understand the disdain over Invicta, this particular Invicta I purchased is one...

    Quote Originally Posted by CogitoErgoSum View Post
    It is a poorly made, over-sized monstrosity, mass produced in a Chinese sweatshop.

    Also, there is no such thing as a "higher end Invicta." Some just cost more than others, that's all.
    You state that like it's a fact, when that sounds to me like an opinion.

    The movement stated in the watch I purchased is a 25-jewel Swiss Automatic. It says "Swiss Made" under the 6 hour marker. How can you, or I, verify the watch is made in China as opposed to Switzerland. If it is made "in a Chinese sweatshop" as you claim (and believe me, I'm certain most Invicta's are), then there must be class action lawsuits against them over it, not to mention action from the Swiss government because they'd be making a mockery of the "swiss made" marking.

    In short: Why do you say my watch ISN'T swiss made, when everything states it is? What key info am I missing that you seem to have?

    Yes, I understand there are plenty of Invicta's that use Miyota Japanese movements, and other lesser quality movements, but if the watch is "Swiss Made" with a swiss movement, how do you KNOW that not to be the case? I ask you to share your knowledge in a civil manner, instead of thumbing your nose up at me like I'm some random idiot.

    All I'm asking for is a civil discussion based around the watch I purchased.

  11. #10
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    16

    Re: I don't understand the disdain over Invicta, this particular Invicta I purchased is one...

    Quote Originally Posted by Ticktocker View Post
    As far as I'm concerned, my negative opinions about Invicta are from negative personal experiences and I don't think anyone wants to beat a dead horse when it comes to Invicta's quality control. I don't pay more money than I am willing to lose if my Invicta has a major problem. That's why I wouldn't pay more than about $150 for an Invicta. I don't agree that their high end watches are so much nicer than their lower end watches. I don't care for their original designs and styles and wouldn't pay $50 for any oversized, clownish watch but I think that they do make a nice Rolex knock off that seems to be less prone to the typical Invicta problems. Customer service is horrible and mostly non-existent in many cases so if you are ok with that, I say keep on making your $800 purchases. Of course not every watch is a horrible mess. There are many, many people that have never had a problem with Invicta and have no idea why anyone would complain. Once you get bitten a few times by the Invicta dog, get no results whatsoever from C.S. and find yourself feeling foolish for going back to Invicta, you start to understand what all the complaints are about. If you are happy with your Invicta watches and feel comfortable trusting that your $800 was well spent, it makes no difference what others think. Just enjoy your watches.
    I appreciate this response, thank you for taking the time to write it. Yes, I think many of their styles are definitely going to appeal to only a select number of people. I haven't had any negative experience with Invicta yet, so I'm sure that could be a reason why I have a mostly positive impression of them.

    I hold that watch in my hand and I have no doubt that it's a quality timepiece. Same as I hold my TAG and feel the same thing. I think part of the problem is that Invicta makes about 7 billion different styles, and more than half of them I'm sure are pretty much garbage. BUT, the few Invicta's I've picked out for my collection have been nothing short of fantastic. IDK, I guess it's to each their own. I feel like because they make watches to cater to several very different markets, often containing people with very stringent ideas about what a quality timepiece is or should be, they invariably end up pissing quite a few people off. It makes sense and I'm not knocking it, but just because "everyone" seems to hate Invicta doesn't mean I'm going to as well without justification.

    Sure, their marketing practices are indeed shoddy, but that's one strike as far as I'm concerned. Quality control is always going to suffer when you mass-produce a million different products, and that seems to be Invicta's strategy. Doesn't mean they're incapable of making a quality timepiece when they focus their effort.
    Last edited by Saogaged; December 5th, 2011 at 05:29.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •