I gave Mitch from Ocean7 to be a stand up guy -- He Passed!

Thread: I gave Mitch from Ocean7 to be a stand up guy -- He Passed!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Angry I gave Mitch from Ocean7 to be a stand up guy -- He Passed!

I have 4 Ocean7 watches. A loyal customer? I was.. With most watch companies if you invest in their product i would think they would have enough faith in their watches that the warranty is transferable the the next owner. Ive found this not to be so w/ Ocean7. I love cool watches but cant afford to acquire them new. All my Ocean7 watches are preowned. I bought a LM-7 PloProf "Homage" from a forum member and found that on the first batch of watches there was a design flaw. They came w/ a 58 click bezel instead of 60 clicks. As I understand it after some "grumbling" Mitch agreed to make thing right and fix that error. I feel the defect in my watch isn't even a warranty issue but a DESIGN error. I contacted Mitch and explained I was the second owner and he replied "The cost is $329 plus shipping." Tha's the whole reply. Well I guess F-me. I gave Ocean7 opportunity to do the right thing and fix design flaw and he chose not to. How do you see it?
    "Let's go vintage racing"

Re: I gave Mitch from Ocean7 to be a stand up guy -- He Passed!

Quote Originally Posted by ncmoto View Post
    I have 4 Ocean7 watches. A loyal customer? I was.. With most watch companies if you invest in their product i would think they would have enough faith in their watches that the warranty is transferable the the next owner. Ive found this not to be so w/ Ocean7.
    Uh, I don't think any watch company offers a transferable warranty. It's one of the reasons I don't buy used.

you're not a loyal Ocean 7 customer, you're a fan. Customer implies that you have done business with them and purchased their products from them. You haven't.

At the same time you 'gave Mitch the chance to be a stand up guy' he gave you a chance to do some reading and discover that he does not have a tranferable warranty program. This has been discussed to death already here. Agree or not, it shouldn't be ne news to you.
    Chris
    Glashutte Original Panomaticluna XL, Doxa Sharkhunter GMT, Seiko Monster Mod, Dwatch, Longines Legend Diver, Hamilton Maestro, Vostok Expedition, Volmax Aviator Flying Tank, Vostok Lunokhod, Custom PAM Homage, Nixon Mahogany Rotolog, St Mortiz Storm Chronograph

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

This is nothing personal and I'm not writing off the OP comments, I understand his feelings, but I for one, am tired of hearing about O7 and Mitch's less than stellar customer service. We're all very aware of a O7 non-transferrable warranty and how the LM-7 bezel design flaw has been handled. IMHO Mitch should fix all the LM-7 bezels regardless if you're the original owner or the 10th owner, but that is just one WIS's opinion. The bottom line is if you buy a used O7 watch, buyer beware....

My solution for ncmoto, trade that thing in on a used Korsbek OE or Oceaneer. Great watches and top notch customer service!
    Last edited by stumpy1972; March 27th, 2009 at 16:23.
    Best regards,

Dan

"I was up above it. Now I'm down in it." ...Trent Reznor

I stand corrected WAS a fan....
    "Let's go vintage racing"

I don't know anything about Ocean7 or mitch or their warranties. But, 58 clicks does not sound like a big deal. Also, sell your 4 pre-owned watches and get 1-2 new ones!

Which companies HAVE transferable warrantees??

Which warrant them beyond two years even??

I'm not too familiar with the LM7 bezel issue and how Mitch said it would be resolved, but I suspect he was quite open on the forum and on his Web site about how he would resolve the issue. In general, he has always said that his service policies and warranty policies have been applicable to original owners only.

While I understand your frustration, I feel this is something you should have researched before buying the watch. You should have been aware that many of the LM7s had this bezel issue, asked whether the piece on sale had the issue, and determined (either by posting on the O7 forum or by e-mailing Mitch beforehand) whether a replacement would be available to you. Caveat emptor, as they say.

Mitch's policy is likely as much an effort to encourage you/us to buy new watches instead of second-hand as it is about cost. In the case of this bezel, I'm guessing the LM7 bezel (sapphire insert, right?) was specially designed and made, and thus fairly expensive to replace. (I'm also guessing that you would need a whole new bezel to correct the issue.) As a small watchmaker, he probably has to manage how many spare parts/bezels he orders fairly carefully. So it's a business decision--remember that he is after all in this to make money.

I might also point out four things:

1) You say you've been a loyal Ocean 7 customer since you own four O7 watches, but if you bought them all second-hand, then technically, you've never been an Ocean 7 customer; Mitch has never dealt with you, and he's never seen any of your money. He has no existing business relationship with you that he might be interested in preserving, so he might not be as accommodating or as willing to bend his rules for you as he might with someone who had purchased from him before.

2) From a divers standpoint, I don't believe the 58-click bezel presents a usability/safety issue compared to the 60 click bezel. (I'm just a desk diver, though, so what do I know?)

3) If it makes you feel any better, I THINK I remember reading that some owners who'd requested the bezel exchange found that the work wasn't done very well and the replacement bezel wasn't as smooth or well-fitted as the original. Don't quote me on this, but maybe your watch is thus better off with the original ...

4) You've noted that you can't afford to buy watches new, and while I'm certainly not faulting your decision to buy used -- I certainly do that most of the time -- if you can afford four used O7s, you can afford to buy two or three new ones. You just chose to seek a bargain. Again, there's nothing wrong with that, but (especially in an economy where people are going hungry and losing their homes), I find it hard to feel sympathetic about someone complaining that he can't afford to buy multiple new luxury watches. I'm in the same boat, after all.

I'd like to conclude by saying I have no stake in this. I've never owned an O7 -- they've yet to produce a design that really speaks to me, so this is just the opinion of a disinterested third party ...

- Kent

Quote Originally Posted by ncmoto View Post
    I have 4 Ocean7 watches. A loyal customer? I was.. With most watch companies if you invest in their product i would think they would have enough faith in their watches that the warranty is transferable the the next owner. Ive found this not to be so w/ Ocean7. I love cool watches but cant afford to acquire them new. All my Ocean7 watches are preowned. I bought a LM-7 PloProf "Homage" from a forum member and found that on the first batch of watches there was a design flaw. They came w/ a 58 click bezel instead of 60 clicks. As I understand it after some "grumbling" Mitch agreed to make thing right and fix that error. I feel the defect in my watch isn't even a warranty issue but a DESIGN error. I contacted Mitch and explained I was the second owner and he replied "The cost is $329 plus shipping." Tha's the whole reply. Well I guess F-me. I gave Ocean7 opportunity to do the right thing and fix design flaw and he chose not to. How do you see it?

I had the same issue with LM 7, got the watch as a gift, because it wasn't registered with THEM on time (as a gift) I didn't receive the service - I sold the watch a WILL NEVER buy another Ocean7 product.

Quote Originally Posted by wouldashoulda View Post
    Which companies HAVE transferable warrantees??

Which warrant them beyond two years even??

Omega is supposed to have the warranty follow the watch in the US. However, there have been some members here who bought pre-owned Omega and they wanted to charge for repairs. Rolex warranty is only for the original owner in the US but follows the watch everywhere else in the world. A little confusing.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information