I have a few questions before buying a new watch, need help!
Like Tree7Likes
  • 1 Post By ancreanchor
  • 1 Post By Sleeken
  • 1 Post By valleybrook66
  • 1 Post By mpalmer
  • 1 Post By dr3ws
  • 1 Post By dr3ws
  • 1 Post By Tommywine0

Thread: I have a few questions before buying a new watch, need help!

I have a few questions before buying a new watch, need help!

Hi all,
    I'm new around here and created an account especially for this

I've been looking at purchasing my first proper watch in the next couple of weeks and have been looking at Longines watches, in particular either the L2.750.4.76.2 or the L2.742.4.76.2 Heritage Column-Wheel and need a few questions answered from experienced watch enthusiasts :)

1. I've been intending to purchase one of these from Jomashop as when asking for a quote from my local Longines boutique, I've been told that both watches have been marked as phase-outs and I would need to order them from Switzerland (I live in Australia) for around A$3,825 (~$2880 USD), much more $ than Joma. I've been reading up on some of the risks involved with ordering from grey market dealers but I'd like some final confirmation
      • Will I be getting an authentic watch?
      • What is their warranty like?
      • How likely is it that I'll need to use their warranty?

2. My next question(s) has to do with the sizing of the two watches. The L2.750 being 41mm x 14.4mm and the L2.742 being 39mm x 14.4mm. Both 39 and the 41mm diameters fit nicely on my 6.3" ish boney wrist, 39mm fitting best (and Joma doesn't have the 41mm in stock at the moment). However, the 14.4mm thickness frightens me and I'm wondering whether there is an ideal ratio between diameter and thickness that makes the watch look more natural / proportional. I intend to wear the watch for the next few years in every day so needs to fit under shirt cuffs etc.
      • Is there an ideal ratio between diameter and thickness? (Will 39mm x 14.4mm look strange?)
      • How does ~14mm go with shirt cuffs (buttoned and french)
      • Being decently young, fit and healthy, should I go for the L2.750 for longevity incase I gain weight in the distant future or will 39mm do me just fine?

I also intend on trying on watches that have the same or similar dimensions before buying, of course, but I'd like some advice upfront.

Does anyone own either of these and like to show some pictures?
    Sorry for all of the questions and the blocks of text, but I've been doing a heap of research before making the purchase and I need final questions answered to put my mind at ease.

Thanks a lot!!
    Daniel

Re: I have a few questions before buying a new watch, need help!

1.Will I be getting an authentic watch? Yes
    What is their warranty like? grey market generally has nonexistant factory warrenties at least
    How likely is it that I'll need to use their warranty? I've bought 2 grey market in that price range 0 issues whatsoever. I think they had a month or two money back guarantee.

Try it on at a store and see how you like it. Tastes are subjective; my ideal is 40mm but I own up to 46mm. Weight gain shouldn't change much about your preferences.
    PhireBall likes this.

I can't answer based on personal experience but from reading on here: You will get an authentic watch although if you do have an issue for a watch, you're better off just getting it serviced locally than trying to deal with Jomashop. I'm sure those with first hand experience will chime in. Likeliness of having an issue is quite low with any mechanical watch, though it is possible.

For your wrist size 39mm would suit you better and won't be an issue in the future if you like that size. I have 7" wrists and have no problems with a 39mm watch. I don't own a watch that thick but can imagine you'd have an issue with any shirts with tighter fitting cuffs. I don't know about any ideal ratio but personally find any watch around 14.4mm a bit on the chunky side no matter what the diameter is.
    PhireBall likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Sleeken View Post
    I can't answer based on personal experience but from reading on here: You will get an authentic watch although if you do have an issue for a watch, you're better off just getting it serviced locally than trying to deal with Jomashop. I'm sure those with first hand experience will chime in. Likeliness of having an issue is quite low with any mechanical watch, though it is possible.

For your wrist size 39mm would suit you better and won't be an issue in the future if you like that size. I have 7" wrists and have no problems with a 39mm watch. I don't own a watch that thick but can imagine you'd have an issue with any shirts with tighter fitting cuffs. I don't know about any ideal ratio but personally find any watch around 14.4mm a bit on the chunky side no matter what the diameter is.
    I have a 6.5 inch wrist ....39mm is my limit. 14.5 mm thick is a bear.....even though some say the curve is important its still 14.5. Thick. To thick for me......that's ok if you don't mind. You may wanna just move on. The people on this site are terrific , some will make suggestions....
    PhireBall likes this.

Welcome to the forums!
    PhireBall likes this.
    "The stuff that dreams are made of…" - RGM ‘801 EE Motor Barrel’

Do you live in Sydney? If you do I would recommend you to order it from Fred SW at the strand arcade, they are an authorized dealer for Longines and you are more likely to get some discount.
    PhireBall likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by mpalmer View Post
    Welcome to the forums!
    Thanks a lot! Joined after reading through a few threads and noticed the friendly community :)

Quote Originally Posted by dr3ws View Post
    Do you live in Sydney? If you do I would recommend you to order it from Fred SW at the strand arcade, they are an authorized dealer for Longines and you are more likely to get some discount.
    I do indeed, although never heard of this place. Could I trouble you for a link so I could check it out, thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by PhireBall View Post
    Thanks a lot! Joined after reading through a few threads and noticed the friendly community :)

I do indeed, although never heard of this place. Could I trouble you for a link so I could check it out, thanks!
    Do you know where the strand arcade is? About Us - Vintage Watch Co
    It's on 414 George Street
    PhireBall likes this.

Re 14.4mm thickness:
    I don't have any Longines watches, but have 2 watches (15.0 & 15.4mm thickness) that don't fit under most button shirt cuffs. And when they do fit underneath, it looks funny.

I recommend trying it on, if there's any possible way.
    PhireBall likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by dr3ws View Post
    Do you know where the strand arcade is?
    It's on 414 George Street
    Aaaaah rrrright. Okay I'll check it out sometime soon, might email and see what they can do for me first though. Thanks heaps!

Quote Originally Posted by Tommywine0 View Post
    Re 14.4mm thickness:
    I don't have any Longines watches, but have 2 watches (15.0 & 15.4mm thickness) that don't fit under most button shirt cuffs. And when they do fit underneath, it looks funny.

I recommend trying it on, if there's any possible way.
    Thats my current problem; the watch is marked as a 'phase-out' so I'm struggling to find it anywhere aside from online. I will however try on watches of the same size and I'll make sure to wear a shirt haha. Thanks for the advice!

Thread Information