I have a friend who doesn’t wear his watches
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: I have a friend who doesn’t wear his watches

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

I have a friend who doesn’t wear his watches

About 15 years ago when I first started to get into watches, I also got one of my close friends into them. He has subsequently accumulated some fine Rolex, Tudor and AP time pieces. Problem is he doesn’t wear them. They are all in his safe collecting dust.

I plan to see if there are any watches in his collection that are of interest to me and offer to buy them off him. Two questions:

1) How do I ensure we agree on a fair price? I don’t want to rip him off but I also know where he got most of the watches and since they will require some amount of servicing or re-polishing I want to get the best deal possible. Is searching watchrecon and Chrono24 the best way to figure out fair price based on condition? Or should I take them into a place that buys used watches to assess value?

2) For any watches I don’t end up buying I’m wondering what I should do. What HE should do is list them for sale but let’s just say the effort isn’t worth the $ for him. I would buy them all and resell but don’t feel comfortable shelling out the upfront investment it would require. Nor do I have the time.

Happy to answer any others questions as I have folks chime in.
    There are no shortcuts to anywhere worth going

Re: I have a friend who doesn’t wear his watches

I would definitely compare prices on watchrecon and just see the average price that gets sold, not listed. That way you’re both not being ripped off.

As for trying to sell it for him, you could maybe front half? And tell him your intentions are to resell for profit, work on a price and give him the other half after selling while pocketing rest as a middleman fee

1). I second Chrono24 and would also suggest SOLD eBay auction items, less reasonable cost for shipping/servicing.

2). Does he even want to get rid of the collection? Some people just like to know they have things. Kind of like Scrooge McDuck, maybe he just cracks that safe open and goes swimming with them when no one is looking..
    Hose A and Prince Escalus like this.
    I have a problem with changing my mind faster than I can change my watch collection

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

If there are specific pieces from his collection you're interested in then ask him about selling them to you. I'd say the rest of them aren't really your concern. Not meaning to sound rude or anything but they don't belong to you, they belong to your friend. Seems kind of weird, to me at least, to be telling someone else what they should be doing with their own property.

Quote Originally Posted by lo_scrivano View Post
    About 15 years ago when I first started to get into watches, I also got one of my close friends into them. He has subsequently accumulated some fine Rolex, Tudor and AP time pieces. Problem is he doesn’t wear them. They are all in his safe collecting dust.

I plan to see if there are any watches in his collection that are of interest to me and offer to buy them off him. Two questions:

1) How do I ensure we agree on a fair price? I don’t want to rip him off but I also know where he got most of the watches and since they will require some amount of servicing or re-polishing I want to get the best deal possible. Is searching watchrecon and Chrono24 the best way to figure out fair price based on condition? Or should I take them into a place that buys used watches to assess value?

2) For any watches I don’t end up buying I’m wondering what I should do. What HE should do is list them for sale but let’s just say the effort isn’t worth the $ for him. I would buy them all and resell but don’t feel comfortable shelling out the upfront investment it would require. Nor do I have the time.

Happy to answer any others questions as I have folks chime in.
    It's not clear from your post that he has any interest in selling. Does he?

A family member has a datejust that sits along with several other watches. He and coworkers don't wear watches any more. It would be a bit presumptious of me to offer to sell his collection unasked.

A forum member created secondhander.com which you can use to look recent sale prices across a few different platforms.

For example: Audemars Piguet 15400ST.OO.1220ST.01 Royal Oak Automatic 41 | SecondHander

If his watches are fairly common you should be able to nail down a fair price with confidence.
    Mark355 and rdoder like this.
    A. Lange & Söhne 1815 Annual Calendar | Glashütte Original Senator Observer | Rolex GMT-II 116710 BLNR | Panerai 00524 Flyback | Tudor Pelagos | Magrette Dual Time

I'd suggest you be very careful approaching all of this unless he truly doesn't care about the watches and especially doesn't care about the money.

You can get watches anywhere. Friends are harder to come by.

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by UberDave View Post
    A forum member created secondhander.com which you can use to look recent sale prices across a few different platforms.

For example: Audemars Piguet 15400ST.OO.1220ST.01 Royal Oak Automatic 41 | SecondHander

If his watches are fairly common you should be able to nail down a fair price with confidence.
    I was not aware of this site until now, but it was immediately bookmarked for future reference.
    UberDave likes this.

Just to be clear with everyone here we are super close and this is not a contentious topic. There is nothing he would say to me or me say to him that would create a rift. I even have no issues sharing this post with him. BUT, I think it may be sound advice for me to just mind my own business and focus on a watch in his collection I actually want. For example I’m not into APs and do not intend to buy them at any price. His best Rolex is a 42mm Polar Explorer which is too big for me and also not something I like.

Quote Originally Posted by UberDave View Post

Wow amazing site. And that’s one of his watches!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information