I have noticed a pattern and am curious about others opinions

Thread: I have noticed a pattern and am curious about others opinions

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Smile I have noticed a pattern and am curious about others opinions

I have noticed a common theme is assorted threads. it goes something like this. Somebody posts about a particular watch and another person will respond ... "nice watch ... too bad its a quartz". I am curious about the "too bad" part. I do not understand what is "too bad" about a quartz movement.

To me a quartz movement is just an alternative engine. Quartz movements offer excellent accuracy often at a very affordable price. I have a Swiss Army Lancer dive watch that runs more accurately than my Rolex Yacht-Master or My Rolex Datejust. I can pick my Swiss Army having not worn it for a few weeks and count on not having to concern myself with having to adjust the minute hand for accuracy.

Am I alone in appreciating quartz powered watches as much as mechanical and automatic ones? Other's opinions appreciated and respected.

stuffler,mike

Re: I have noticed a pattern and am curious about others opinions

Well, this will not answer your question at all but nevertheless: I own about 70 watches, 68 are mechanical and only 2 are quartz. One is a Cartier and the second one is a Sector which I use when biking, mountain climbing. Never got attracted by quartz.

Thanks for sharing. I am curious - is because quartz appear too uncomplicated?

Quote Originally Posted by stuffler,mike
    Well, this will not answer your question at all but nevertheless: I own about 70 watches, 68 are mechanical and only 2 are quartz. One is a Cartier and the second one is a Sector which I use when biking, mountain climbing. Never got attracted by quartz.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

stuffler,mike

Quote Originally Posted by lyndon
    Thanks for sharing. I am curious - is because quartz appear too uncomplicated?
    No, I just like the "mechanical microcosm" of a a mechanical watch. For a long time I was collecting tin toys with clockworks too, always was fascinated what makes a tin toy move. Never have been that attracted by battery powered toys.

Personally I don't have anything against quartz, as long as it's Eco-Drive or Kinetic For some reason I don't like batteries - they always tend to run out of power at inconvenient moments.
    Another reason why people are adversed to quartz movements, is that their production usually is cheap. Many people don't want to spend big $$$ for a watch with a movement that cost only a few cent. Of course there are exceptions (the COSC certified superquartz movements by Breitling or the handmade cal. 2100 by Citizen to mention a few).
    Cheers,
    Micha

Hi -

For many, that what attracts them to watches is the fascination with mechanical watches and the fact that there is, effectively, a "heart" beating away.

Quartz watches don't have the same mystique, but there is nothing wrong with quartz watches at all! The "problem" is that for the vast majority of quartz watches, there is little or no functional difference between the very cheapest available plastic LCD quartz and a quartz watch costing thousands more. So many decide that there really needs to be a reason as to why they spend so much money on a watch (usually analog ones at the higher end), and after all, at least as far as I go, it's largely a guy thing and we all love our toys.

But time keeping qualities? When I travel I have two quartz watches I wear (a Toergen T-1 and a no-name diver) because I want to not worry about the time. I've traveled with mechanicals and actually got back into mechanicals as I wanted a mechanical travel watch back then.

And you'd be hard beat to find a more accurate and fascinating watch as the Sinn UX, with a thermo-compensated quartz movement bathed in silicon oil, encased in submarine steel. What a tool watch!

But I really think that many aren't too keen on quartz because there really isn't much difference, in terms of accuracy, between a really cheap watch and something vastly more expensive, and I know that I don't want to go back to weaing black plastic LCD watches, even though my wife would love to in order to spend the money I spend in mechanicals instead.

JohnF
    コスト下げ やる気も一緒に 下げられる

I've heard someone (on this forum I think) refer to the difference as follows: A quartz watch is like an appliance. A mechanical watch is like a pet.
    Tim

Couldn't agree more, and here's some 'Mystique'

Last edited by stuffler,mike; September 15th, 2006 at 10:02.

rbt

Re: Couldn't agree more, and here's some 'Mystique'

Ah Lyndon, you have been reading my posts on the Breitling forum. There is an incredible love affair with the B-1 (quartz). I prefer mechanical, but own a couple of quartz. I just stir the pot with the quartz guys. Nothing personal. Cheers, Bob
    Alas, time stays, we go.

Re: Couldn't agree more, and here's some 'Mystique'

Nothing personal taken - just curious as to others reasoning vis a vis quartz movements. I am a design guy myself and go for the features and style first and formost in the watches I buy. I hope no offense was taken at my question as it was just curiosity on my part as to others reasoning. Thanks for the input,all.

Quote Originally Posted by rbt
    Ah Lyndon, you have been reading my posts on the Breitling forum. There is an incredible love affair with the B-1 (quartz). I prefer mechanical, but own a couple of quartz. I just stir the pot with the quartz guys. Nothing personal. Cheers, Bob

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information