I know my tastes are off beat..
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: I know my tastes are off beat..

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

I know my tastes are off beat..

Whew, but I really like this. No way it is worth close to the price of a Vacheron Constantine Overseas chronograph. I have held and inspected them both (not this particular FM with this grey dial), and the detail, the precision of manufacturing that goes into the VC is far above the FM, yet the price is quite close. They both use the same movement and the FM dials are very labor intensive to manufacture as they are painted by hand.

Perhaps the lack of popularity of unusual stuff dictates that they must be made in small batches which disproportionately raises the purchase price.

Last edited by Gary123; January 3rd, 2013 at 17:55.
    bacari, novedl, Roller.959 and 2 others like this.
    Chronographs: Breitling 2 tone Chronomat, Roger Dubuis Easy Diver, DeWitt Academia Sequential, Franck Muller Conquistador, IWC Aquatimer, Hublot Oceanographic 1000, Parmigiani Pershing 45, Royal Oak Offshore Gstaad, Franck Muller Vanguard Carbon, Franck Muller Conquistador, Chopard Mille Miglia, Zenith Defy Aero .. 3 Hand: Angular Momentum diver, Bucherer ScubaTec 2-tone, UN MM Diver 2-tone, Omega Ploprof, Ball Hunley, Omega SM 300 Master Co-Ax 2-tone, Zodiac Super Sea Wolf, Panerai Sub 106, Muhle Glashutte Rasmus blue

Banned

Re: I know my tastes are off beat..

I don't know. I've read that Franck Muller watches are highly respected among industry insiders. They are quirky for sure but I always liked them. They were pretty popular in Singapore when I lived there. That town is Watch Central.

Funny you should say that about Singapore. I just spoke with a Japanese dealer who moved his watch business from Asia to NY. In Asia he said these sell very well, but his FM inventory here just sits.

I think this is a particularly pretty one. I like how the painted numbers are outlined in black. Really sets them off. They don't outline the numbers on all their dials.

Quote Originally Posted by mt_hangglider View Post
    Build, fit, finish, and quality aside, I have never seen a watch from FM that I would buy based on looks alone. A VC Overseas on the other hand....
    And that is the way it always is with the unusual brands. In order to make unusual pieces available to those who would like them, a premium is charged for the low volume production.
    Last edited by Gary123; January 3rd, 2013 at 18:15.
    Chronographs: Breitling 2 tone Chronomat, Roger Dubuis Easy Diver, DeWitt Academia Sequential, Franck Muller Conquistador, IWC Aquatimer, Hublot Oceanographic 1000, Parmigiani Pershing 45, Royal Oak Offshore Gstaad, Franck Muller Vanguard Carbon, Franck Muller Conquistador, Chopard Mille Miglia, Zenith Defy Aero .. 3 Hand: Angular Momentum diver, Bucherer ScubaTec 2-tone, UN MM Diver 2-tone, Omega Ploprof, Ball Hunley, Omega SM 300 Master Co-Ax 2-tone, Zodiac Super Sea Wolf, Panerai Sub 106, Muhle Glashutte Rasmus blue

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Build, fit, finish, and quality aside, I have never seen a watch from FM that I would buy based on looks alone. A VC Overseas on the other hand....
    Watchbreath likes this.
    Current lineup:
    Panerai Radiomir (42mm) PAM574
    Omega 8800 (38mm) Aqua Terra
    Omega 8800 (39.5mm) Planet Ocean
    Omega Aqua Terra "Skyfall"
    Rolex 116610LN Ceramic Sub
    Rolex GMT Master (Pepsi) 1675
    1950's Rolex Precision
    1960's Rolex Oyster Perpetual
    1950's Omega Seamaster
    Luminox Diver
    Marathon Navigator
    Other Vintage Watches

Actually, FM is well recognized in certain circles. Football (soccer) players seem to be big fans of this brand. As an example, this is a limited (20) edition for a football club, although similar examples can be found applied to different events:

Name:  franck_muller_conquistador_s_1276512223_l__benfica_ergal.jpg
Views: 743
Size:  126.8 KB

(pic. from www; price circa € 21600)

They are certainly not my cup of tea under any conceivable perspective.
    Last edited by CMTFR; January 4th, 2013 at 04:06.

The small date probably bothers me more than anything else with the look. Otherwise I think they make some nice looking but different looking pieces. You could do worse!

Quote Originally Posted by mt_hangglider View Post
    And I'm sure you like Rolex and Omega as well.

This particular FM may not sell in places like Singapore or HK because it is lacking in color (not that colorful like the usual multicolor FM) and (I assume) made of SS (not as popular as the precious metal FM)
    I've seen lots of people from my country buy the precious metal (YG,RG) quartz FM with really colorful dial from Sg (FYI,the RG quartz cost sgd 9000ish..)

Quote Originally Posted by Gary123 View Post
    And I'm sure you like Rolex and Omega as well.
    Yep, just like I see you enjoy Alain Silberstein and Graham.
    Current lineup:
    Panerai Radiomir (42mm) PAM574
    Omega 8800 (38mm) Aqua Terra
    Omega 8800 (39.5mm) Planet Ocean
    Omega Aqua Terra "Skyfall"
    Rolex 116610LN Ceramic Sub
    Rolex GMT Master (Pepsi) 1675
    1950's Rolex Precision
    1960's Rolex Oyster Perpetual
    1950's Omega Seamaster
    Luminox Diver
    Marathon Navigator
    Other Vintage Watches

I've seen a couple in person, they seem to be of very good quality, but for an unconventional shape I'd go VC Malte or JLC Reverso over FM.
    Collection:
    Vacheron Constantin Overseas
    JLC Deep Sea Chrono
    Breguet Marine Grande Date
    Tudor Black Bay Black
    Omega Speedmaster 3570.50

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information