I know nothing about Women's watches!

Thread: I know nothing about Women's watches!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Hello. One of my friends found out I'm a watch guy and wants me to help her pick a watch. Problem is I know nothing about women's watches. She tells me she doesn't care Quartz or automatic. She wants something she can "wear to work and not too dressy on weekends" she wants to spend 500 or less. She is a law professor at a Midwestern state university. No one dresses up super nicely in this town. Ever.

Any suggestions? I know not much to go on, but anything would be helpful. Thanks!

Re: I know nothing about Women's watches!

Andres

Quote Originally Posted by roachjl View Post
    She tells me she doesn't care Quartz or automatic.
    Learning to understand womenspeak isn't easy but in this case it's fairly easy to see this statement means she wants a quartz. For a variety of reasons, the most obvious of which is even if she wears the watch everyday and even if the watch is COSC certified, that slight inaccuracy could make her late for a class after a month or two.

Aside from that, she's going to have to provide you with a little more detail. At the very least color and size.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Don't recommend an auto, bought my wife an auto Hamilton and setting the watch is too bothersome for her. I'm afraid I'm gonna have to buy a watch winder in order for that particular piece to get any wrist time. That piece also has a display back which she could give 2 craps about.

Hate to say it but a Movado may be the ticket here and Ashford may be the ride.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by watch_hor; January 29th, 2015 at 02:06.

475 MSRP, quartz for practicallity, flowery hands and MOP dial for a touch of femininity, drable SS bracelet for durability (as opposed to a leather strap) white dial/SS goes with any color of flannel shirts well.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by Donf View Post
    475 MSRP, quartz for practicallity, flowery hands and MOP dial for a touch of femininity, drable SS bracelet for durability (as opposed to a leather strap) white dial/SS goes with any color of flannel shirts well.
    This looks good. What model is it?

This doesn’t sound like a good spot for a guy to be in, her tastes are most likely drastically different than yours, this could turn into an all-day shop-around and end up with zilch.

You need to figure out a way to throw the hook, perhaps take her to Macy’s, they have lots of woman’s watches in the $500 range. Get the sales associate (make sure it’s a woman),
    once she’s hooked, step back and let the sales associate do what they do best.

Remember, whatever she picked out is awesome, no matter what you think. Top it off with a couple drinks if there’s a bar in the mall (don’t forget a compliment or two on the new watch), done deal.

KCZ

Think quartz. Think how to get her to narrow down her preferences regarding size, color, bracelet vs strap. Then find a Tissot, Hamilton, Citizen, or Seiko that fills those requirements. And yes, that Tissot above is very nice.
    Last edited by KCZ; January 29th, 2015 at 04:38.

Quote Originally Posted by black watch View Post
    This doesn’t sound like a good spot for a guy to be in, her tastes are most likely drastically different than yours, this could turn into an all-day shop-around and end up with zilch.
    Married man, definitely a bad spot. All day shopping :cringe: but if she is a "friend", this all day shop-around may be a good "in" and overall a worthwhile investment.

I would not step back too much, need to show her that she came to the right "watch guy" who is an informed buyer, just do go all watch geek all over the place.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Main thing is, what metals does she go for in other jewelry, and what kind of colours does she go for? That will determine watch metals and dial colour, but if she's all over the place she might need two to be happy with how the whole effect goes (my wife does... gold/black and two tone/mother of pearl in her case, both on bracelets).

And yeah, quartz. RC quartz if you can, but there aren't many of those, maybe only the Citizen FC0000-59D and its other variants:
    Name:  FC0000-59D.jpg
Views: 79
Size:  26.6 KB

They're pretty large as women's watches go, but also gorgeous, tough as nails (sapphire crystals and 100m WR), and accurate as non-HAQ quartz gets.

FC003-18D:

There are about a half-dozen other variants. They're RC world-time perpetual calendars with alarm and two displayed time zones... probably the complications winner for a ladies watch. The great thing is, zero fuss, just don't keep it in the dark and it'll look and work great for 20 years or so.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information