I know why they do it but why do they do it?
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: I know why they do it but why do they do it?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

I know why they do it but why do they do it?

I was just looking at a great looking Alpina diver and stopped looking after I saw it had a proprietary rubber strap. I think for the average person they don't think about it but for oddballs like us, we hate them for the most part. I'm not in the market for watches right now as I've hit my limit and a bit of a bump in the road. But damn, I'd love to own that watch but I'd never buy one.

I guess what I'm saying is I wish they would cater to my needs rather than theirs. There are so many companies that do this, I find it frustrating when I like the watches. Especially when you hit the high end mark where their straps and bracelets can cost thousands of dollars. A buddy of mine has a GO blue dial big date and I think he said the bracelet was either 3 or 4K. I can only imaging what a leather strap would cost. I find that to be a little insane.

VIEW MY SALES FEEDBACK>>>>HERE

/ll[_\__\]
    l llL-_O|||||||O_
    ()_)()_)()_)

Re: I know why they do it but why do they do it?

I would never, ever, not buy a watch simply because of what strap was included with it--one of the joys of watch ownership is making each watch my own, which, if I didn't like the original strap, means putting on an aftermarket strap--ready- or custom-made--so no, I don't feel your pain nor even concede that it is an issue of any great concern.
    Last edited by timefleas; April 4th, 2017 at 05:28.
    obomomomo and OvrSteer like this.

I guess for me, having to go the route of having to order a custom made strap means spending a lot more than I have to and you have the wait time. I bought an ostrich strap for my JR Aquascope a while ago, I knew the leather would be soft enough to fit the 26mm width in the 25mm lug width on the watch. I would have to pay way more for a custom made 25mm ostrich which is another thing that puts a bean up my butt. Why have 21mm 23mm 25mm lug widths?
    ZM-73 and swissgmt like this.

/ll[_\__\]
    l llL-_O|||||||O_
    ()_)()_)()_)

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I agree and can never understand why you can't just buy the watch-head. As you say some bracelets cost nearly as much as the watch itself and if you do replace it with aftermarket you have to keep the original to make the watch whole again if you sell it.
    falcon4311 likes this.

I guess it's a selfish thing on my part. I want to be able to customize/personalize my watches on my terms, not the manufacturers. In short, I want a watch with a standard lug width. How many times have you gone to replace a certain gasket or part only to find out there are 15 different choices? I've heard many people complain about non standardized sizes.

This will be my last rant. Why do they make so many different screwheads? The slotted is pretty much useless due to the screwdriver slipping out. Why not just a robertson or phillips? It goes in, holds tight with no slipping. Guess I'm just turning into a cantankerous old man...Well, not old yet.
    Last edited by falcon4311; April 4th, 2017 at 14:37.

/ll[_\__\]
    l llL-_O|||||||O_
    ()_)()_)()_)

I've got one with proprietary rubber, and the strap thing is a big loser. Unless the brand actually accomplishes something with their custom design, I assume it's a brand that is out of touch with its' customers' interests. Another issue with peculiar straps is that I've yet to see an upscale brand that made it convenient to order replacements or offered some nice strap options.
    falcon4311 likes this.

This is what keeps me from pulling the trigger on.....ORIS
    Also absolutely hate cutting $150 pure rubber straps to size them ...
    My .02
    falcon4311 likes this.
    In Valor there is Hope - Tacitus

Weird lugs are a deal breaker. I own an inexpensive watch with narrow lugs, similar to Oris, and I'll never go down this road again.
    falcon4311 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by falcon4311 View Post
    Why have 21mm 23mm 25mm lug widths?
    Design Proportion ?

I fail to see why this is an issue. You are looking for something unique and you found it... then you complaint about the uniqueness. It is like "honey.. I love for for who you are ... Now Change"

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information