I love the dial but...

Thread: I love the dial but...

I love the dial but...

The lifestyle mag that I get always spends 3 or 4 pages looking at watches and this month, it covered the Romain Jerome Titanic DNA. Whilst the source of the materials has got many peoples' backs up, I have to say I love the texture and look of the dial - the mottled blackness really grabs my interest. I also like the rusted look. The problem is that I have neither the £4500 asking price, nor do I care that much for the rest of the design.

So the question is: Can anyone suggest another watch sporting such a textured dial? I've had a bit of a search and drawn a blank.

The alternative is to have a watch modded as I've seen some of you guys have done this and have been very happy with the results. Can dials be modded? Can numerals/hands/bezels be rusted without compromising the safe operation of the watch??

Cheers,

Dave
    My little ones:

Omega Seamaster 2531.80.00
    Seiko Spirit SCVS005
    Oris XXL Regulator (on bracelet)
    Oris Artelier Skeleton (on Sharkskin strap)
    Seiko Orange Monster (currently unmodded)
    Seiko Black Monster (IWW modded and VERY nice)
    Swiss Army Mach 6 V241188

Grail:

Oris TT3 Chrono

Banned

Re: I love the dial but...

Not sure about rusting, but you can acid etch, use oil tempering etc. On a case/bezel without the movement of course. But I am not sure I would try anything like that on a favourite watch! The risk for destroying it just to big! I will in fact experiment a little on a cheap Chinese quarts chronoI have in a box! I will keep you posted! Dials can be modded.

stuffler,mike

Go for a carbon dial instead !

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

A carbon dial? As in carbon fibre? Doesn't that only come in the 'chessboard' squared pattern? I did a bit of searching earlier and have seen a lot of black dialed watches, but they were all smooth, which didn't grab me the way the Titanic DNA did.

As for acid etching a favourite watch, I wouldn't. This would be a new project and was thinking along the lines of a Seiko diver or something.

Dave
    My little ones:

Seiko Spirit SCVS005

Grail:

Oris TT3 Chrono

try and do a search for carbon fibre and kevlar weave. you'll find a wide variety of weave patterns for both incuding some with no pattern which is more expensive as a kiln is used. I prefer to see the weave on the dial. baume et mercier uses a long weave with a almost pearlesent result.

I had a look and the kevlar and carbon fibre are just the look I'm not after! Both plain and the patterned look can be nice, but what I love about the Titanic's dial is the lumpy/gritty texture which I believe is crushed coal...

So the second option would be to make a dial. Am I being optimistic by saying that I could take a dial from the watch I want to mod and simply apply the suitable glue and apply something like crushed coal? Of course, the glue would have to be good enough to ensure bits don't drop off (maybe use some fixative...) and also there's the problem of the numerial/hour markers... This is likely beyond me, so does anyone know of watch modding services that go beyond the lume jobs (doh, that another thing I need to remember to choose - lume colours!)

Cheers,

Dave
    My little ones:

Seiko Spirit SCVS005

Grail:

Oris TT3 Chrono

I read that Ronaldo recieved the very first Titanic edition RJ watch. Then the very first game back, from almost a yearlong stint rehabbing an injury, he blew out his OTHER knee.
    sad story, but strangely ironic.

Thread Information