I met a One Watch Guy - Page 5
Like Tree241Likes

Thread: I met a One Watch Guy

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Re: I met a One Watch Guy

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfires View Post
    How long can you stretch the service for a Rolex and not have any longterm effects?
    I've got a few Seikos that are 40 +/- years old and insofar as I can tell have never been serviced. One is a 6309-70xx that runs slow but consistent, another is a 6139 that also likewise runs a bit slow but consistent (a 7A28, granted it is quartz but nonetheless runs maybe a second or two slow over a few weeks). [And to put it into perspective I have a Samurai I bought used, it's probably less than or near 2 years old and it too runs slow, but consistent.] So if a pedestrian watch like Seiko can go 40 years without a service I have to assume a rolex can do that and then some. That's kinda their forte of isn't it, built tough etc?

And on this topic, what about those daring folks that did indeed wear a rolex while exploring the poles, the amazon, mountain tops and benthic depths, did they un-watch and hie it off for service at recommended intervals or did they just assume, they paid good money and it will outlast them?
    HerrNano likes this.
    http://veteranswatchmakerinitiative.org/
    Training Combat Disabled Vets to become Watchmakers
    https://www.gofundme.com/VWIBulova

Banned

great story, you just made his day.
    AUTOmaniak likes this.

i feel like a submariner is really the obvious, yet perfect, "one watch"
    Earthjade likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I mean you can't go wrong with a Sub, nice story OP.

I am a one watch guy every day.

Quote Originally Posted by Seabee1 View Post
    I've got a few Seikos that are 40 +/- years old and insofar as I can tell have never been serviced. One is a 6309-70xx that runs slow but consistent, another is a 6139 that also likewise runs a bit slow but consistent (a 7A28, granted it is quartz but nonetheless runs maybe a second or two slow over a few weeks). [And to put it into perspective I have a Samurai I bought used, it's probably less than or near 2 years old and it too runs slow, but consistent.] So if a pedestrian watch like Seiko can go 40 years without a service I have to assume a rolex can do that and then some. That's kinda their forte of isn't it, built tough etc?

And on this topic, what about those daring folks that did indeed wear a rolex while exploring the poles, the amazon, mountain tops and benthic depths, did they un-watch and hie it off for service at recommended intervals or did they just assume, they paid good money and it will outlast them?
    I'm glad someone said this. I just don't understand all the service interval stuff for watches. Sounds like a scam. Just wear them and if they start misbehaving, get them serviced or replace them if the original price of the thing dictates and you are not sentimental about it.
    Seabee1 and Inthezone like this.
    If you never believe in anything, you'll never be disappointed.

Quote Originally Posted by Sital View Post
    But not the one we deserve.
    "Deserves got nothin to do with it" William Munny
    maylebox and rfortson like this.
    "Everyone gets everything he wants. I wanted a mission, and for my sins, they gave me one"

I tried doing it and couldn't be it. Maybe one day. But right now I have a Samsung smartwatch for workouts, a citizen brycen chronograph for casual wear, and my aqua terra is my daily wear.

Maybe one day I can be just down to my aqua terra and call it a day. Congrats on the guy you met for being a one watch guy. Something we all strive for but may never get there.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfires View Post
    How long can you stretch the service for a Rolex and not have any longterm effects?
    The only long-term non-service story I have is my mom's watch. She was gifted a Zodiac cocktail watch during the Kennedy administration and never had it serviced. It finally stopped staying wound about five years ago.
    HerrNano likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by BevHillsTrainer View Post
    Uhh, anyone who signs on here is by nature somewhat watch obsessed. Sometimes I’m jealous of the “normies” I know who wear one watch and don’t ever think anything about it. It’s just this thing they wear that may or may not have some kind meaning to them and just serves its purpose. That’s it.
    Once you cross the line however, it’s forever. We may take breaks, I did for years, but it’s always there, lurking.

I’m not, nor will I ever be, that guy. And neither will any of you :)

It's funny, I know a fellow on a different watch forum I frequent who was a multiple watch guy and whittled down to one (an Omega Aqua Terra) and is now a one watch guy. And he has been for years now. I didn't think it could be done either, but there you have it.

My collection has gotten quite small compared to what it was, but I could never get down to one. Three at minimum, four to be comfortable, five is probably my favorite collection size.
    TAG Heuer Monaco LE|Omega Speedmaster|Seamaster 300MC|Rolex Submariner|Tudor Ranger

How did it get so late so soon?

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Thread Information