I need some help please...

Thread: I need some help please...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

I need some help please...

I'm trying to decide bewtween a Breitling Colt 11 automatic and a Sinn UX EZM (quartz chronometer) or EZM 3. Any opinions on which to buy? I tend to think the Sinn is probably better made and much harder to find. And since Sinn does no advertising and the price is still higher than the Breitling, I would think the Sinn might be the better choice but I'm wondering what other people think. I've read on some other forums some people consider Sinn a better watch than Rolex simply because Rolex spends so much money on marketing while Sinn spends none and you still pay a small fotune for just about any Sinn. Any thoughts?

Re: I need some help please...

Lets keep it cool and civil. I don't think there's any rule against lacking photos in a thread, is there? Straying off topic is just as uncouth, in my opinion. I like lots of photos, but that banner stating a post is "worthless without photos" is quite possibly one of the most annoying, obnoxious things I've ever seen.

To get back on topic, I personally think that the Sinn is a great watch. I think it has the cache and provenance that, to be frank, most Breitlings would love to have. That said, good luck getting service or support for it. At least these bigger companies, from Brietling to Rolex to a Swatch brand (Omega, et al) have the capacity to service within a reasonable timeframe and lots of watchmakers have the capacity to do it.

At the prices you're talking about, and wanting some provenance and value, you'll be hard-pressed to commit to a quartz watch at the prices that either company charges for them. Go automatic and if you're willing to have something that might require a little more creative upkeep, definitely go for the Sinn.

And if the snarky stuff keeps up, maybe we should just lock it up... Mod?

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Ok lets let bygones be bygones. The "worthless without pics" gif or comment is an internet meme which has been around for a decade and I take it to be understood as something that is not meant to cause offense. It is true that people who go through the effort of making it as easy as possible for others to render advice, generally get the best advice.
    Lots of dive watches.

The gosh-darn .gif isn't an issue. It's silly and sarcastic and light-hearted.

It's true, folks who make the effort to make an effort get an effort made in reciprocation :)

All that said, if we strayed off-topic as much as this thread did in such a short amount of time, I don't think we'd have much horological awesomeness happening, right?

Banned

Pity the OP decided to desert WUS, as I could have given him my opinion.
    Yes, pics are nice, but not allways a necessity.
    Somehow I think most of us "old hands" know how a Colt/UX/EZM 3 look like. I do, anyway, but then I like Sinn.

OP! If you are still lurking, shout!

The UX is a Super-tool watch.
    A more interesting watch than an UX, IMHO. Sinn U2: Second timezone, lots of cool Sinn tech.

The Clasic Sinn EZM3

Last edited by Janne; December 1st, 2010 at 01:38.

I have deleted a number of disrespectful and unhelpful posts. Some responses to those posts have also been removed.

And you can read 'disrespectful' and 'unhelpful' as euphemisms for stronger adjectives.

Any more nonsense, expect other action.
    Last edited by tribe125; December 1st, 2010 at 12:53.
    I used to list my watches here until I realised it ruined people's Google searches...

Janne,
    What's your feeling on the servicing of Sinn here in The States? I've been consistently scarred off by them because I've heard they are notoriously hard to service and Sinn in Germany usually takes three or more months.

All I wanted to know is what people thought of Sinn versus Breitling or maybe Omega, etc. I asked some simple questions to people I thought could help me and receive a smart alec reply about posting photos. I don't have photos of the watches I was speaking of, that's why I posted links. I assumed that most people on this forum would know what a Sinn EZM 3 would look like as well as a Breitling Colt (and that's not meant to be sarcastic).
    I just wanted some opinions, that's all. My take on it is that Sinn is probably superior since Breitling and the others don't have Tegimented cases, copper sulphate capsules, inert gasses in the movement, oil filled cases etc. But the average person who knows absolutely nothing about watches, will say if asked what the best brand is, automatically say Rolex...maybe some will say Longines or Omega because of marketing and marketing alone. Virtually no one has heard of Sinn. The only problem is with Sinn, is what someone else said on this thread...you have to send a lot of models to Germany for repair, overhaul, change of batteries, etc. And I'm only interested in the EZM 3 or their UX quartz. And I also think a watch will hold it's value not depending on if it's an automatic or quartz, but because of popularity and the unique characteristics it has. Just my two cents anyway.

Banned

I have had to send both watches off for warranty work:
    EZM 3 because the lume triangle fell off, and Sinn did not want to send me a new bezel, which I could easily have swapped myself
    The U2 because the crystal sealant got discoloured. And the bezel lost the paint in the markers.

As the U2 contain Argon,so it had to go back to Germany. It took some months, but the result is faultless, on both.
    I use them mercilessly, in salt water, sand, and it can get really, really hot here in the sun.
    Sinn should establish a Testing Station here.
    I volunteer!

(Both went off to Germany. FedEx is just as fast to the US as DE!)
    Last edited by Janne; December 1st, 2010 at 02:18.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information