I object to the term WIS: Seeking replacements
Like Tree103Likes

Thread: I object to the term WIS: Seeking replacements

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 53
  1. #1
    Member Chronopolis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Right here
    Posts
    12,341

    Wink I object to the term WIS: Seeking replacements

    'Watch'? For sure.
    'Idiot'? Maybe.
    'Savant'? Super rarely.

    What, knowing a few movement numbers and brand names makes one a "savant"? Or owning an Omega?
    I don't think so.

    You can lay claim to 'I' all you like, but if you want that 'S' you ought to be able to explain how every part of a movement works in a Horology 101 class.
    AND, demonstrate how to take one apart, and put it back together again.

    I propose the following replacement terms, in the name of honesty and humility.
    But, speaking only for myself, more honesty than humility.

    So then here are my new terms: (ADD YOURS!!)

    1. WOG: Watch Obsessed Geek
    2. WAD: Watch Addicted Dufus
    3. WEF: Watch Enamored Fool
    4. WOW: Watch Obsessed Wanker (or Wastrel)
    5. WIG: Watch Idolizing Goon
    "Be thine own palace, or the world's thy jail." _ John Donne

  2. #2
    Member clarken's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    1,280

    Re: I object to the term WIS: Seeking replacements

    WWF: Watch Wearing Fool


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  3. #3
    Member Barry H's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Manchester, UK
    Posts
    2,006

    Re: I object to the term WIS: Seeking replacements

    WAZOCK - Watch Admiring Zany Offering Controversial Knowledge
    Chronopolis, ffritz and anaplian like this.

  4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements
     

  5. #4
    Member Gunnar_917's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    22,569

    Re: I object to the term WIS: Seeking replacements

    Quote Originally Posted by Chronopolis View Post
    1. WOG: Watch Obsessed Geek
    You might want to check that acronym, depending on where you are it is EXTREMELY offensive (think N word type offensive). And similar to the N word the impacted races have taken ownership of it, but it doesn't mean an outsider can use it.
    Sevenmack and ShaggyDog like this.

  6. #5
    Member IAmScott's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Matthews, N C
    Posts
    724

    Re: I object to the term WIS: Seeking replacements

    WAS ..Watch Addicted Scott !

    Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    Chronopolis likes this.

  7. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    4,143

    Re: I object to the term WIS: Seeking replacements

    Quote Originally Posted by Chronopolis View Post
    'Watch'? For sure.
    'Idiot'? Maybe.
    'Savant'? Super rarely.

    What, knowing a few movement numbers and brand names makes one a "savant"? Or owning an Omega?
    I don't think so.
    Agreed. For every big-money "WIS" who thinks he now knows about watches because he bought something expensive on a credit card in a shop, or saw a space ad for a Speedy Pro and became tumescent at the prospect of becoming a self-styled inner member of the discerning know-all cognoscenti, there's someone who doesn't much bother with brands and just like building his own watches. Putting it crudely, one of them is savant, and one of them is idiot :).

  8. #7
    Member Chronopolis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Right here
    Posts
    12,341

    Re: I object to the term WIS: Seeking replacements

    Quote Originally Posted by Gunnar_917 View Post
    You might want to check that acronym, depending on where you are it is EXTREMELY offensive (think N word type offensive). And similar to the N word the impacted races have taken ownership of it, but it doesn't mean an outsider can use it.
    Nice!
    Hey, I'll call ya next time I need a professional killjoy at my next party.
    JSI, Stelyos, poised and 1 others like this.
    "Be thine own palace, or the world's thy jail." _ John Donne

  9. #8
    Member Quartersawn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    4,994

    Re: I object to the term WIS: Seeking replacements

    WAZ - watch addicted ( or admiring) zombie

    It explains the vacant, slack jawed, eye glazed look one has when one gazes upon a fine time piece.
    Last edited by Quartersawn; March 23rd, 2016 at 13:50.
    poised likes this.

  10. #9
    Member Chronopolis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Right here
    Posts
    12,341

    Re: I object to the term WIS: Seeking replacements

    Quote Originally Posted by publandlord View Post
    Agreed. For every big-money "WIS" who thinks he now knows about watches because he bought something expensive on a credit card in a shop, or saw a space ad for a Speedy Pro and became tumescent at the prospect of becoming a self-styled inner member of the discerning know-all cognoscenti, there's someone who doesn't much bother with brands and just like building his own watches. Putting it crudely, one of them is savant, and one of them is idiot :).

    You got a LIKE for that word!
    You read litchritcha, don't ya.
    Rusty427 likes this.
    "Be thine own palace, or the world's thy jail." _ John Donne

  11. #10
    Member obomomomo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    4,979

    Re: I object to the term WIS: Seeking replacements

    HOrological Goon = HOG.
    Last edited by obomomomo; March 23rd, 2016 at 14:38.
    Chronopolis and poised like this.
    Bulova> 96B251. Casio> 5600E. Damasko> DS30. GrandSeiko> SBGH205. Rolex> 116500LN, 16710. Seiko> SARB017, SARB033, SBDX017, SLA017.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

    Similar Threads

    1. If money were no object.....
      By Chronolover in forum Public Forum
      Replies: 84
      Last Post: September 18th, 2014, 05:41
    2. Replies: 16
      Last Post: May 20th, 2014, 09:18
    3. Replies: 19
      Last Post: August 1st, 2011, 19:32
    4. Money no object, what would it be?
      By Buzz in forum Omega
      Replies: 57
      Last Post: January 30th, 2011, 02:26
    5. If money were no object...
      By bleddrewsoe in forum German watches
      Replies: 14
      Last Post: May 22nd, 2009, 16:18

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •