I ordered this book ...

Thread: I ordered this book ...

v76

Off topic I ordered this book ...

I ordered "Wristwatches: A Handbook and Price Guide" by Gisbert L. Brunner & Christian Pfeiffer-Belli from Amazon a couple of days back. Does anyone have this book, and if you do, what is your opinion of it? Are there other books you can recommend for someone interested in landmark watches, the history of horology and movements?
    Collection:
    A few of this and some of the other ...

"I worked my way up from nothing to a state of extreme poverty" - Groucho Marx

Moderator at Large stuffler,mike's Avatar

Re: I ordered this book ...

Both authors are watch experts, no doubt. But there are better books (one pic added).
    Attached Images Attached Images

Kind regards
    Mike

Instagram @mikestuffler

v76

Thank you for the recommendation, Mike!
    Collection:
    A few of this and some of the other ...

"I worked my way up from nothing to a state of extreme poverty" - Groucho Marx

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

About to order that book too, actually I was about to order both :

and
    but it sounds like the second one (582 pages) would be enough? Is the first one (186 pages) an excerpt, since the authors are the same ? Haven't been able to figure that out for sure yet !

Banned

Saw a favorable review on "The History of Watches" by David Thompson. For price guides, I use the "Complete Price Guide to Watches" by Shugart, Engle, and Gilbert or "Classic Wristwatches: the Price Guide for Vintage Watch Collectors" by Stefan Muser and Michael Ph. Horlbeck. There is no one book that can cover it all so I also have more brand-specific publications and I augment it with data & pictures I've amassed over a few years.

Thanks, I also have "Complete Price Guide to Watches" (not easy to identify a watch on the small black pics though) and "Classic Wristwatches: the Price Guide for Vintage Watch Collectors" (2008-2009), which has better pictures and more information on each watch/brand but fewer models listed.

Do you have specific Longines or Omega books? John Goldberger has co-written : "Omega Watches", "Omega Sports Watches" and "Longines Watches", but they all got panned for the most part on Amazon. They mostly have pictures it seems.

As for my previous question, I'm probably going to go with the Hardback/582 page book since the other one Paperback/186 book must be a "summary" of sorts. Maybe someone will know

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by webvan View Post
    Do you have specific Longines or Omega books? John Goldberger has co-written : "Omega Watches", "Omega Sports Watches" and "Longines Watches", but they all got panned for the most part on Amazon. They mostly have pictures it seems.
    I have Goldberger's book on Longines. It covers a lot of chronograph and WWII watches. Yes, it's mostly pictures - exactly what I wanted. It shows original dial variations and gives case reference numbers. The book probably got panned because that's all it really is, and that's probably useless to 99% of people. I add to it as needed when a verifiable variation pops up not in the book. The only issue I have with it is that it doesn't cover much of their other offerings if at all.

There was no need for any other book on Omega than their "A Journey Through Time". Once again, not much history but lots of pictures with matching case reference & caliber information. Completely worth the money.

Thanks for the insight. I'll probably pass on that Longines book then since I'm mostly interested in the 60s/70s period.

"A Journey through Time" seems great, but maybe overkill for me as I'm mostly interested in the 60s/70s period.

Banned

Thanks for the insight. I'll probably pass on that Longines book then since I'm mostly interested in the 60s/70s period.
    Good idea - not much in it for collectors who focus on post 1950 Longines.

"A Journey through Time" seems great, but maybe overkill for me as I'm mostly interested in the 60s/70s period.
    There's quite a bit in it on all their lines all the way in to the modern era. It's a little expensive though, which is why I asked for it as a Christmas gift last year.

Thread Information