I think I found my watch! :D Finally a solution to my calatrava craving?
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: I think I found my watch! :D Finally a solution to my calatrava craving?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

I think I found my watch! :D Finally a solution to my calatrava craving?

Shockingly, my solution seems to be coming from the USA! I found a recently serviced Waltham watch on Ebay, and WOW is it a looker! It's 10k gold plated, not solid, but according to the seller (with good feedback and a history of selling such pieces) the watch is 111 years old, so if the plating is still holding up, I'm not concerned at all.

The only thing that it doesn't have is a see-through caseback, but that's to be expected (Are there people who do that aftermarket?) Anyways, the price would be about 340 shipped, which is beyond reasonable, certainly considering what a calatrava or JLC Gentilhomme would cost. And just look at that pretty face!!! :D

Am I missing anything, or should I bite? Name:  $(KGrHqV,!k0E+1NP4uN-BQO6SL)QrQ~~60_57.JPG
Views: 876
Size:  268.6 KBName:  $T2eC16J,!)sE9swm(wv0BQO6SC)9B!~~60_57.JPG
Views: 797
Size:  269.1 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images

Last edited by Ecksdee; August 27th, 2012 at 23:47.

Re: I think I found my watch! :D Finally a solution to my calatrava craving?

Ecksdee

The watch you're considering was built out of an old ladies pocket watch movement that sold on the bay a couple weeks ago.
    Its been re-cased and had new hands put on it. If you google waltham and the movement serial # you'll see it. One thing to consider
    is that the watch won't be shock proof or water proof, but if you like it go for it.
    Ecksdee likes this.

I don't believe that Hamilton was building wristwatches in 1901. I think it's a frankenwatch as GBalin has pointed out.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Awww that's very disappointing, can't believe I missed that! :/ although I'm actually very interested still, as I think it looks great. Now that I re-read the ad, the seller is up-front about the fact that it's a franken. I might still do it though.

111 years ago or 1901 was around the height of pocketwatch popularity and ptoduction. That style case would not have been seen until much later. Did.the seller say the movement or the watch was 111 years old? If the latter it is untrue.

Quote Originally Posted by John MS View Post
    111 years ago or 1901 was around the height of pocketwatch popularity and ptoduction. That style case would not have been seen until much later. Did.the seller say the movement or the watch was 111 years old? If the latter it is untrue.
    +1

Very nice looking watch, however not sure I would want to buy a franken.
    Currently: Omega Speedmaster Professional 145.012 | Omega Speedmaster Date | 1952 Omega Constellation cal.354 | Rolex Datejust 16200 | Cartier Tank Francaise | Orient Star World-Time | Seiko SKX007K2 | Seiko SKX781K2 Orange Monster | De Reiter Automatic

It may be a bit small. Whats the size?

(Dedicated to the pink tiger stripe and the man behind it.)

They said the case was from the 1920s, the movement from 1901. And I like it... a lot. I am really debating it.

Size is 33 MM. I have very small wrists, so that's fine on me.
    Last edited by Ecksdee; August 28th, 2012 at 01:20.

Members have ID'd this one very well. Indeed it's a ladies hunter case movement from 1901 or so. Remember no shock and limited water resistance, not really designed for the wrist. It's nice to see an attempt to make the movement useful again as it was uncased when sold on eBay. Parts will be tough to get aside from maybe a mainspring.

There are fathers who do not love their children; there is no grandfather who does not adore his grandson. ~ Victor Hugo

Quote Originally Posted by GBalin View Post
    Ecksdee

The watch you're considering was built out of an old ladies pocket watch movement that sold on the bay a couple weeks ago.
    Its been re-cased and had new hands put on it. If you google waltham and the movement serial # you'll see it. One thing to consider
    is that the watch won't be shock proof or water proof, but if you like it go for it.
    Found the movement in its original state. (Middle) Actually, I'm pretty impressed with how nicely he fixed it up...Name:  $T2eC16hHJGYE9nookPmkBQH-gE7nL!~~60_57.JPG
Views: 689
Size:  272.8 KB

I think I'm going to buy it. I knew that for what I wanted and the prices I could afford, compromises were going to need to be made. At the end of the day though, I still really like it. It reminds me of both a PP Calatrava and a Laurent Ferrier micro rotor, which is a difficult feat for a watch not costing a huge amount of money. I count that as a win.

Thanks for all of the help WUS!
    Last edited by Ecksdee; August 28th, 2012 at 01:26.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information