I think I may have been screwed for the first time in my watch-buying life! :(

Thread: I think I may have been screwed for the first time in my watch-buying life! :(

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Banned

I think I may have been screwed for the first time in my watch-buying life! :(

So here's the story. I posted a WTB for a certain watch a few weeks ago. I received a nice message from a guy that had the watch. We went back and forth for a while and figured out a deal. He claimed his bank didn't accept Paypal transfers and asked if I could send by Western Union. I sent the money and he confirmed that he received and that he had sent the watch out but had left the tracking information in his car and he would send it to me later that day. Well, that was 6 days ago. He had responded to every message I sent within the hour so I figured he had a mobile device that he was able to send from. The watch was said to have been sent from California last Monday and I am in the NYC area. I expected the watch on Friday or Saturday, but nothing came. I guess it could still be delivered on Monday or even Tuesday (delayed due to the holiday mail?)but beyond that I would really worry.

So... what to do? I guess I can contact Western Union and report it. I feel like I may have been screwed for the very first time in my life buying watches. I have purchased close to 50 watches over the years and never had a single issue. I'm hoping this ends well but at this point, this really sucks.

Re: I think I may have been screwed for the first time in my watch-buying life! :(

A bank refusing pay pal sounds like a red flag to me. Why would a bank refuse money? An e-check is like any other check.
    My first thought has always been that wire transfer = fraud. Sorry for your loss.
    Last edited by Nikos; November 28th, 2010 at 23:07. Reason: changed western union to wire transfer

Re: I think I may have been screwed for the first time in my watch-buying life! :(

i would be concerned also but as you stated it is the holiday season and all....... is the seller a trusted member of this or another forum with a solid reputation for integrity or are they drop-ins that just cruise the sales related forum? if the answer is the former then its a little early to panic but if the answer is the other, you may have reason for concern.
    Enjoying a life far better than I deserve...

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I am unaware of any banks that don't accept Paypal transfers, and i'd be surprised if one exists in this day and age. Could be wrong, but it would have raised some alarm bells for me. The last WTB i did attracted the attention of a couple of scammers, and i haven't posted one since. I think with a WTB, i would only trust well known WUS members. Anyway i don't mean to be too negative and i hope your watch turns up. I'm guessing you don't have his name, address and phone no?

Western Union = Frauder.....
    The money is gone. Sorry about that.
    Seiko / Orient / Hamilton

I hate to say this but Western Union is a red flag for ANY internet transaction in my opinion. I have seen literally HUNDREDS of scams involving them whether it be eBay, sales forums (like this) or craigslist. I had a friend seek my advise on a deal where the seller was trying to get rid of a really expensive puppy and they were going to only charge like $25 but there was a Western Union transaction needed for him to have his "transportation company" (read unreachable third party) transport the dog from Michigan to Georgia... I just steer far away from transactions who only accept WU.

Sorry for your loss, I'm not sure what you can do other contact Western Union like you said or perhaps trying to contact him from another email address and see if you can arrange to meet (assuming he's not on the other side of the world) and bring a sock full of nickels ;)

Banned

Is the seller still responding to your messages? If so, blame the shipping service. It's the holidays and it can take 2 to 3 times longer for packages to arrive. If he disappeared after he got the money, then you're screwed for sure.

Banned

Well, I have his name and city in which he lives. If I do not have my watch or an email from him by this Wednesday, that information will be posted all over every watch forum known to man. I will also be contacting Western Union and then I will hunt down this guys address and find him. If I need to pay someone to knock on his door, I will do so.

Quote Originally Posted by Bradystraps View Post
    Well, I have his name and city in which he lives. If I do not have my watch or an email from him by this Wednesday, that information will be posted all over every watch forum known to man. I will also be contacting Western Union and then I will hunt down this guys address and find him. If I need to pay someone to knock on his door, I will do so.
    you bet it sucks. I got screwed for the first about 9 months ago. And bad as it was to lose the money, it's just as bad the time you spend, and spend being pissed off...it just doubles the insult.

Banned

OK, just confirmed... I did get screwed. I am too trustworthy.

Alex Voorhies

https://forums.watchuseek.com/f63/ale...st3350719.html

What a shameless POS excuse for a human being.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information