with "normal" people. By normal I mean people that don't obsess about watches like we do.
I was at the mall today for the first time in maybe a year. Previously (any time in the last 8-10 years), any time I went to one of the mall jewelry stores I asked if they carried any mechanical watches. Without fail, 90% of the time I would get an absolute blank stare. The other 10% of the time they would direct me to Seiko Kinetics.
Today I stopped in two mall jewelry stores. Both salespeople that approached me knew what a mechanical watch was. And both stores had them. One store had a few auto Tags, the other store had auto Tags and some nice new Rado autos that I liked. It's a start.