I think mech. watches are making a comeback ...

Thread: I think mech. watches are making a comeback ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

with "normal" people. By normal I mean people that don't obsess about watches like we do.

I was at the mall today for the first time in maybe a year. Previously (any time in the last 8-10 years), any time I went to one of the mall jewelry stores I asked if they carried any mechanical watches. Without fail, 90% of the time I would get an absolute blank stare. The other 10% of the time they would direct me to Seiko Kinetics.

Today I stopped in two mall jewelry stores. Both salespeople that approached me knew what a mechanical watch was. And both stores had them. One store had a few auto Tags, the other store had auto Tags and some nice new Rado autos that I liked. It's a start.

Chris

True enough ... I'm starting to see mechanicals in a few of the high-end AD's ... TAG, Rado, Maurice Lacroix, and of course Rolex.

The Seiko store has Monsters and Samurai's, along with a couple of other models. The mech's are still no where near as available in the "mainstream" stores (JC Penney, Sears, Wally-World, Target), but I have hope ....

I was at BJ's (bulk-lot store) today, and saw a Seiko mechanical on display! Imagine my suprise .....
    All who wander are not lost ...
    Be a traveler, not a tourist.

A traveler doesn't know where he's going,
    a tourist doesn't know where he's been.

Re: I think mech. watches are making a comeback ...

Come back or not its still a niche sort of thing. I work at Kmart in electronics and along with making keys I also get to replace watch batteries and well no one seems to know what a non quartz watch is or that they exist. The best I can get out of people is like you said-seiko kinetic.
    Invicta 8926
    clebar
    alsta

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by brietlingman View Post
    True enough ... I'm starting to see mechanicals in a few of the high-end AD's ... TAG, Rado, Maurice Lacroix, and of course Rolex.

The Seiko store has Monsters and Samurai's, along with a couple of other models. The mech's are still no where near as available in the "mainstream" stores (JC Penney, Sears, Wally-World, Target), but I have hope ....

I was at BJ's (bulk-lot store) today, and saw a Seiko mechanical on display! Imagine my suprise .....
    No kidding, up until this month I didn't even know Seiko made a mechanical watch. The last time I even looked at buying a nice watch was 8 years ago when I got my Pulsar and everything was battery Quartz, Kinetic, or another brand with similar options. I was happy as hell when I found the 007 and 009. Now I have such an obsession with automatic watches, all of my watch purchases from here on out will probably be automatic.

*nods* I became a full-blown WIS four years ago. Back then, I pretty much thought decent automatics were only limited to something like Omega-and-up -- I'd never even seen one for sale at my local department store. Even Kinetics were impossible to find then. Now I know better of course -- currently I own a handful of automatics from the Seiko Monster to my new Omega Seamaster Pro.

Are they getting more popular with the general public? I doubt it, considering there's no real 'buy automatic' push from any department store brand. I think it's because people are buying *more expensive watches* which are more likely to have automatics.

Ten years ago, someone might've bought a quartz Seiko chrono -- now they're buying a Tissot Seastar or LeLocle or a Seiko Kinetic chrono... Automatics are probably a hard sell: they need winding, certain care, they're less accurate then quartz, you don't get an alarm, stopwatch, timer, etc... Objectively, automatics offer very little other then the higher pricetag and percieved exclusivity.

...some stores even offer watch winders...

...at crazy prices.
    François – Quebec City, QC

I live in the boondocks. The only mechanical watches sold here are Rolex. I found out when the sales people told me only Rolex makes mechanical watches. Damn…Rolex has done a great job marketing.

The majority of people I know think Movado is a very high end watch because that is what EVERY jewelry store here carries. No one I know knows what a mechanical watch is (until last night when I showed my Hamilton to my friend and explained it). It's rather sad. I can't go window shopping unless it in Tourneau.

Banned

I've never been in a Tourneau, but I saw one for the first time when I was at the Scottsdale Fashion square here in Arizona. I started wandering towards the store when I saw it, but my fiance stopped me since I already bought two watches this month.

Quote Originally Posted by Torrid View Post
    I've never been in a Tourneau, but I saw one for the first time when I was at the Scottsdale Fashion square here in Arizona. I started wandering towards the store when I saw it, but my fiance stopped me since I already bought two watches this month.
    That is the one I window shop at. It's an amazing experience seeing these incredible watches in real life. It also helps you make decisions seeing a watch in real life.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information