I think my watch needs regulating?
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: I think my watch needs regulating?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Unhappy I think my watch needs regulating?

Hi all,

I have a CW C60 Trident Pro which I got around September last year. I keep it on a watch winder and I set it at the beginning of May (after the April date flick) and left it. Today I notice it is over 5 minutes slow... by my maths that's an average of -25s per day. I don't think that's within the acceptable boundary for a Sellita SW-200. Anyone any thoughts?

Cheers.
    Omega - Aqua Terra 8500
    Frederique Constant - Slimline Moonphase Manufacture
    C Ward - C60 Trident-Pro

A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject - Sir W S Churchill

Re: I think my watch needs regulating?

I'm a bit of a novice at this... but what happens if you wear it on your wrist? How about when you lay it at different positions on a table overnight (dial up, dial down, crown up, crown down, etc...)?

My watches all behave differently depending what I/its doing. I've even seen different variance between when I've let it unwind and stop and the next wind. Just based on my limited experience with several watches over a number of months I've gone from being convinced I needed my new watches regulated to understanding their idiosyncrasies and keeping them within a minute or two weekly to as little as few seconds. For one stint my watch was losing over 15 seconds a day so I let it unwind and now wind it in the morning and night (even though it is automatic) and it has been staying within 2 seconds per day. I've learned automatic watches are a strange animal. I suppose if I had a $6K spring drive Grand Seiko I wouldn't be so forgiving trying to work with a watch that was not consistently within a couple of seconds.

Lastly, my one watch that seems to have the most variability has a warranty for +20/-15... Their identified test I wind and lay dial up for a 24 hour period. I'm curious that the 'rules' are for your C60 and how it actually performs. For any kind of diver with sealing, I'd want to really weigh heavily if I want to open up the case mid-maintenance cycle... and then will the shop be pressure testing it when done?

With that said, check his link:

https://forums.watchuseek.com/f6/regu...nt-721363.html

-25 is quite a lot. Might need some adjusting. Is your watch winder such that the watch is dial perpendicular to the floor at all angles of rotation? If so it's missing the dial up/down positions where this watch might be gaining time. I'd try putting it on the table dial up for a day see if it gains. If no, I'd get it checked/adjusted to at least +\- 10?
    Tag Heuer Carerra (cv2010) on racing strap ; Tag Heuer Aquaracer 500m (rubber bezel) on rubber strap ; Pam 305 Bosphorus leather strap; AP Diver 15710 on bracelet

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Go back to CW with it. By all accounts they have some of the best customer service in the business (and you should have a 5 year movement warranty). Get in touch and see what they can do for you.
    Der Amf likes this.
    Brad (@bradwatch)
    - appreciating fine affordable watches since 2011

Quote Originally Posted by Bradjhomes View Post
    Go back to CW with it. By all accounts they have some of the best customer service in the business (and you should have a 5 year movement warranty). Get in touch and see what they can do for you.
    +1
    Any watches posted may be seen as gifts,borrowed or found property and not as personal property of Little Big Feather.

i do have CW trident GMT one (i admit it's different movement altogether, eta 2824 versus 2893, gmt one) and last time i checked mine was off, for about 15-20 seconds per day.

Wear it on your wrist, normally watch movements (eta in particular) are adjusted in positions which you use frequently on your wrist, as opposed to winder positions, and track the accuracy... if it is still off by 20+ seconds per day, i guess you can have it regulated or address CW directly for solving accuracy problems.

But just for the record, elabore grade eta movements (since sw 200 is an eta clone, i guess it stand correct for them as well) has a maxumum of positional variance of 30 sec per day.
    That means that your watch movement might loose as much as 30 seconds, while being left in certain position.

More than likely, if you send it back, the watchmaker will leave it face up for 24 hours to check him/herself. I'd take it off the winder, full wound, and do your own test with the dial facing up.

Or you can just send it back. I'm pretty sure CW will find your watch's performance to be totally unacceptable if it is running more than -10-15 s/d.

Disclosure:
    1. My posts are not shilling other people's stuff.
    2. I own everything that I post and paid for it with my own money.
    3. My opinions are not influenced by any form of compensation.

Before you spend the money to send it off try a simple experiment. Let's identify where the problem is by eliminating the possibility of a problem with the winder. Set the watch to time.gov and just wear the watch for a week with no hand winding and no time on the watch winder. Set it face up at night. Then at the end of 7 days check time.gov again and divide the error by 7. Let us know the results.
    Last edited by John MS; May 12th, 2014 at 18:34.
    Ring likes this.

Before you spend the money to send it off try a simple experiment. Let's identify where the problem is by eliminating the possibility of a problem with the winder. Set the watch to time.gov and just wear the watch for a week with no hand winding and no time on the watch winder. Set it face up at night. Then at the end of 7 days check time.gov again and divide the error by 7. Let us know the results.
    Excellent advice.

If that does not work, at least CW has excellent customer support services if it does need a trip back to the shop.
    "Either he's dead or my watch has stopped"
    Groucho Marx

"The only reason for time is so that everything does not happen at once..."
    Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Robotaz View Post
    . . . . . . . the watchmaker will leave it face up for 24 hours to check him/herself. . . . . . .
    Courtesy of ULF.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information