I think that people consider other people's choices garbage for the wrong reasons!
Like Tree76Likes

Thread: I think that people consider other people's choices garbage for the wrong reasons!

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

I think that people consider other people's choices garbage for the wrong reasons!

After browsing the threads and seeing people post their collections, it has occurred to me that a lot of us actually care more about watch style.
    Sure, there are some people that care more about the watch brand, but on here, I would like to think more people care about quality and variety in their collection.
    I tend to like classical with a unique twist so I would never get a speedy pro but I would get a Speedmaster Mark II.

So it's rather unfair for someone to say things like Nomos is boring, when what they're really saying is Bauhaus isn't for them.
    Or to bash divers, when what they mean is, they have small wrists and most divers are too large for them.

When people pan a brand's whole line-up as boring, I get the feeling they didn't research the brand hard enough.
    Rolex gave us both the Datejust and the Root Beer GMT.
    Seiko gave us both the Monster and the Snowflake.
    Omega gave us the Speedmaster and the Proploff.
    ALS gave us both the Saxonia 1 and the Zeitwerk.

A person that would wear one of those watches most likely wouldn't be caught dead with the other one...actually, ALS shouldn't be up there as most people would wear whatever ALS they got their hands on , but I hope I got my point across.

Let us all agree that they only garbage watches out there are anything by Richard Mille because you have just wasted money if you aren't a brand ambassador of theirs! j/k
    slcbbrown and jsj11 like this.
    There's always room on top.

My Collection: JLC Reverso Squadra Hometime, Oris BC4 Retrograde Day, Mr Jones Watch The Last Laugh, Louis Erard 1931 Retrograde

Re: I think that people consider other people's choices garbage for the wrong reasons!

Everyone has an opinion and some people communicate theirs in a effective and polite manner. Other people can be short, to the point and sometimes rude. Unless our opinion is rooted in something larger than ourselves it's not any more valid than someone else opinion.
    Morethan1 and Keithcozz like this.

Re: I think that people consider other people's choices garbage for the wrong reasons!

You think we're bad, go hang out on the car or motorcycle boards. Or politics! WUS is without doubt one of the politest and well-mannered (and well-informed and okayly written) sites I visit. Lavish moderation by a selection of nerds and curmudgeons plus swift flagging of spam helps keep the riff-raff at bay too IMO.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I consider other people's choices to be garbage because I enjoy a little dumpster-diving from time to time.
    Cheers,
    Ben "LBD"

I'm as guilty of this as anyone. Not making excuses, but I think the nature of the beast is that this is a watch forum, and everyone on WUS is extremely passionate about watches or else they wouldn't be here. That breeds some strong opinions and emotions about certain brands, especially when a person shells out their hard earned money and feels the need to defend their choices.

Plus, everyone here loves the Speedy Pro, you are just plain wrong when you say you don't ;)
    thumos, vinylgreek, emaja and 1 others like this.

We all, deep down, know that garbage is subjective; the “another man's trash” idiom come to mind. The thing is, most of us are pretty opinionated. You must be to have taken the extra step to share your opinion on a forum like this. Just because I don't like something it doesn't mean it can't be the greatest thing ever to someone else, but we tend to look down on things we don't like, as all humans do involuntarily.
    rdoder, Toothbras and JPfeuffer like this.

Quote Originally Posted by thumos View Post
    After browsing the threads and seeing people post their collections, it has occurred to me that a lot of us actually care more about watch style. Sure, there are some people that care more about the watch brand, but on here, I would like to think more people care about quality and variety in their collection.
    I think this is the most compelling part of your post. Most people generally look at watches within a particular price range and therefore, the quality issue is typically moot. There are a lot of high quality watch brands out there, so there isn't much to argue on that front. But issues of variety and style are and have always been subjective. There are a lot of watches posted on this site that make me scratch my head as to why anyone would consider them grails or just drool worthy. Most Grand Seikos come to mind--I just can't get past the mundane and boring styling. Of course, not having ever seen one in person, my opinion only goes so far. But that's just it, regardless of whether we don't like the style of the watch, the design language behind it, or our physical size is more compatible with certain watch styles, it's still just down to subjective views on what looks good to us.

Although I get the general idea that you're going for in your dashed examples, I would say that most people have strong brand feelings (with regard to design) when the brand produces watches that look pretty much the same. Nomos is the perfect example---most of their watches are identifiable with a quick glance because they all resemble each other. I could see people complaining about Rolex and using the term boring--not in the sense that they don't offer different styles, but by and large, their styles haven't changed over the decades and many of their styles are emulated by many other brands. "A datejust is boring just like a sub is boring" kind of logic.
    Have: Alpina Startimer Classic; Casio G-Shock GDF100/Altithermo; Citizen Navihawk A-T; Hamilton Jazzmaster Maestro; Heuer ​Monza; Luminox Colormark & 3000 series; Omega SMPq; Oris Diver Small Second hand date; Rolex ExpII(w) ;Seiko Prospex GMT SUN023P1; Tissot PRC-200; Victorinox Dive Master 500
    Want: Someting dressy; Doxa Sub series

To be honest the only opinion that matters should be your own.Your the one that has to wear the watch so your opinion is the only one that matters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by ShortOnTime3 View Post
    "A datejust is boring just like a sub is boring" kind of logic.
    And this point here is one of the things that baffles me on the forums.
    People who say a Submariner is boring yet produce, as an example of exciting, another watch that is extremely derivative of a Submariner. Let's face it, they invented the modern dive watch archetype whether people want to admit it or not.
    And when you compare the first Submariner to what we have today, they do look different. It's just an evolution as opposed to a revolution. Something every watch brand out there has done. The difference being, Rolex is the largest luxury watch brand out there, so, the most recognizable.
    Name:  rolex_submariner_ref_6204.jpg
Views: 647
Size:  74.1 KBName:  Rolex-Submariner-2012.jpg
Views: 1397
Size:  142.4 KB

My Collection: JLC Reverso Squadra Hometime, Oris BC4 Retrograde Day, Mr Jones Watch The Last Laugh, Louis Erard 1931 Retrograde

Quote Originally Posted by lover6540 View Post
    To be honest the only opinion that matters should be your own.Your the one that has to wear the watch so your opinion is the only one that matters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I really dislike these types of posts as, this is a forum. The idea being, to discuss your opinions and form new opinions based on knowledge gleaned from others. Making your statement wrong.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread Information