I was told by several people not to expect a watch winder to give any of my watches a power reserve.
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: I was told by several people not to expect a watch winder to give any of my watches a power reserve.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

I was told by several people not to expect a watch winder to give any of my watches a power reserve.

I found out that they were wrong. It just didn't make any sense to me that if I was to turn my watch winder on and set it to the maximum TPD that my watch would not build up any power reserve. I couldn't understand why if wearing a watch would build up the reserve, why wouldn't a winder do the same? I have never owned a winder before, the only reason I bought one was to throw the next days watch on the winder when I get home from work so I wouldn't have to wind it via the crown in the morning. I've been told by a lot of people including my watchmaker that constantly winding a watch via the crown every time you put it on can and does put added wear on the movement.

I did a real easy test, I ran the watch winder with one of my Breitling's overnight and then set it to the 12:00 position to see what kind of reserve I was able to get out of it. As it turns out, I ended up with 6 hours of reserve. Many people told me that it would only maintain the reserve and it would not wind a dead watch at all. I tested it on other watches and ended up with similar results.

I plan on doing this from now on, I feel that it will lessen the wear on the movement and give me enough juice so I can just throw the watch on and go. I think the small investment in a winder (I bought a Wolf Design 2.7) will have a long term benefit both on my watches and bank account. Does no one else do this?

VIEW MY SALES FEEDBACK>>>>HERE

/ll[_\__\]
    l llL-_O|||||||O_
    ()_)()_)()_)

Re: I was told by several people not to expect a watch winder to give any of my watches a power rese

I do as well, so you're not alone.

It seems there are two camps here on WUS. One camp claims constantly running a watch with a winder will wear the movement out. The other claims that winding the watch does more wear on the movement itself. Either way both theories are plausible, it's just a matter of which one you buy into more.

Either way you should still probably service your pieces on a regular interval just to be cautious.

One thing is for sure though, it's nice to have more than one watch ready to go for people like me that like to switch constantly!
    -Matt

Collection
    Current: 116710BLNR ("Batman"), ♛ 116610LV ("Hulk"), ♛ 116600 ("SD4K"), ♛ Milgauss White Dial (hers), ♛ Oyster Perpetual 31 3,6,9 Blue Dial (hers), G Shock 7900B-1 Rescue Series
    Incoming:
    Wish List: JLC Master Control Date
    , Ω Speedmaster DSOTM (311.92.44.51.01.007), VC Overseas Blue Dial

lvt

Re: I was told by several people not to expect a watch winder to give any of my watches a power rese

I think people who use a watch winder it's must be for fun or practical reason, not for their bank account :))

Leaving your watches running on a watch winder also causes wear on the movement.
    Ball - Casio (G-shock) - HMT - Longines - Parnis - Seagull - Steinhart - Tissot - Victorinox - Yema

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I use a winder when I rotate two automatics and it is set to a cycle doing 1 hour turning and 3 hours rest i.e. the watch turns for 6 hours a day. I never noticed that the reserve buildup is lower than the one you get wearing the watch.

After reading your post I have just put on the winder a stopped old Navitimer (7750) that has recently been serviced and started the cycle: after about ten minutes the watch started ticking away happily, now I'll see what kind of reserve it will build up.

There is one other aspect to this phenom of wear & tear that has - AFIK - never been mentioned.
    And that is: Energy exchange between things and people. Motion and use keeps things FROM rotting away quietly.

An abandoned house becomes dilapidated A LOT faster than one that is in use.
    An unused hammer, bicycle gets rusty faster, etc.

If it were between (A) Keep in on a winder and (B) Never wind it unless wearing it, I'd go with (A).
    "Be thine own palace, or the world's thy jail." _ John Donne

I don't have a winder, but I have thought of picking one up. However, if it is incapable of building a power reserve on a watch it makes it a less appealing option. But I still think I'll end up with one eventually.
    "The stuff that dreams are made of" - RGM 801 EE Motor Barrel

Exactly. I guess I'm confused about the advice that you received.

If putting your watch on a winder would not wind it and keep it topped up, why else would you own one? That's what they do, isn't it?

The watch doesn't know where it is.
    Last edited by ken_sturrock; October 7th, 2012 at 07:57.

Quote Originally Posted by Kilovolt View Post
    I use a winder when I rotate two automatics and it is set to a cycle doing 1 hour turning and 3 hours rest i.e. the watch turns for 6 hours a day. I never noticed that the reserve buildup is lower than the one you get wearing the watch.

After reading your post I have just put on the winder a stopped old Navitimer (7750) that has recently been serviced and started the cycle: after about ten minutes the watch started ticking away happily, now I'll see what kind of reserve it will build up.

Cool, let me know how you make out. Just an added note, I'm not leaving one watch on the winder all the time. It's a single watch model, I just use it for the next days watch, I allow all of my watches to wind down. But for sure a winder gives your watch a power reserve of sorts. I almost decided not to buy the winder I picked up after the one guy on another forum told me not to expect it to give your watch a wind. I'm damn glad I didn't listen to him, I picked mine up for $175.00 shipped and you can't hear a sound from it unless you open the front glass door and you have your ear up to it. I got a smokin' hot deal on an excellent winder, I'm really happy with the quality of the Wolf Design.

/ll[_\__\]
    l llL-_O|||||||O_
    ()_)()_)()_)

A properly set wonder should replenish the power reserve at approximately the same rate as the power is expended by the watch. Otherwise, it will essentially be overwinding the watch once the full power reserve is achieved, which might prematurely wear out the overwinding protection on an automatic. Now, if you max out the TPD setting on a Wolf 2.7, then certainly you'll increase the power reserve of the watch, but that is not what a properly adjusted winder should do.

If the recommended setting for your movement is 600 TPD, that means that 600 TPD adds 24 hours of power reserve to the watch, but the watch expends the same amount, so that there is no net increase in power reserve after a day. If you max out the Wolf to 1200 TPD, then you have an excess of 600 TPD, which means that after a day, there would be a net increase of 24 hours of power reserve.
    Last edited by mleok; October 7th, 2012 at 08:34.
    Doboji likes this.

Patek Philippe Calatrava 5119J; Vacheron Constantin Overseas; Jaeger-LeCoultre Grande Reverso Duo; Rolex Submariner 114060; Omega Seamaster 300; Montblanc Heritage Dual Time; Tudor Black Bay.

Armida A12; Borealis Estoril; Bulova Accutron II Alpha, Moonwatch; Casio GMW-B5000D, GW-5000, GST-W310; Certina DS-2; Coach Fulton; Hamilton Khaki Field; Helson Skindiver; Orient 60th Anniversary; Seagull Tourbillon, 1963 Air Force; Seiko SNA089P, SUN025P1; Steinhart OVM; Swatch Body and Soul, Heracles, Sistem51, Uncle Charly; Victorinox Alliance, Infantry Vintage.

This is a you tube video of Wolf Design winders, the only complaint I have with it is that the cuff is too deep, Otherwise, it's an awesome unit.

/ll[_\__\]
    l llL-_O|||||||O_
    ()_)()_)()_)

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread Information