I want to buy a watch in Hong Kong (I live abroad) but it's local pickup only. Any ideas?

Thread: I want to buy a watch in Hong Kong (I live abroad) but it's local pickup only. Any ideas?

Sofia, Bulgaria (current) | Toronto, Canada

I want to buy a watch in Hong Kong (I live abroad) but it's local pickup only. Any ideas?

I found a watch for sale on an HK website, but it's local pickup only. Are there any services out there to help with this? There must be a lot of us who have been in a similar situation.

I want to buy a watch in Hong Kong (I live abroad) but it's local pickup only...

Book a cheap flight to HK? If you're in the US, that's about 20,000 frequent flier miles you'll earn - almost enough for Silver status.

But, seriously, any service is going to charge you tax, a fee, and duty for importing it wherever you are ... Meaning, it would have to be a very unique watch, or a really unbelievable deal to be worth it.

If you can find the watch in your country for within 10%, it would be a better deal to buy locally IMHO
    Last edited by ~tc~; October 19th, 2013 at 18:56.

Re: I want to buy a watch in Hong Kong (I live abroad) but it's local pickup only...

Quote Originally Posted by ~tc~ View Post
    Book a cheap flight to HK? If you're in the US, that's about 20,000 frequent flier miles you'll earn - almost enough for Silver status.

But, seriously, any service is going to charge you tax, a fee, and duty for importing it wherever you are ... Meaning, it would have to be a very unique watch, or a really unbelievable deal to be worth it.

If you can find the watch in your country for within 10%, it would be a better deal to buy locally IMHO
    ^ what he said. unless you know someone traveling to the place the watch is located.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Re: I want to buy a watch in Hong Kong (I live abroad) but it's local pickup only...

It's a fairly rare vintage piece in unusually great condition, at a decent price. To be specific it's a particular Seiko 8305 model that I've been wanting.

Quote Originally Posted by ~tc~ View Post

If you can demonstrate a sterling reputation, and if the seller has a sterling reputation such that you would buy him as a seller, you could join that forum so that you could pm him with the prospect of a remote transaction. I have done this with "sterling" sellers and things worked out fine. You would ask him to find out how he could mail it insured, possibly with tracking.
    Chronographs: Breitling 2 tone Chronomat, Roger Dubuis Easy Diver, DeWitt Academia Sequential, Franck Muller Conquistador, IWC Aquatimer, Hublot Oceanographic 1000, Parmigiani Pershing 45, Royal Oak Offshore Gstaad, Franck Muller Vanguard Carbon, Franck Muller Conquistador, Chopard Mille Miglia, Zenith Defy Aero .. 3 Hand: Angular Momentum diver, Bucherer ScubaTec 2-tone, UN MM Diver 2-tone, Omega Ploprof, Ball Hunley, Omega SM 300 Master Co-Ax 2-tone, Zodiac Super Sea Wolf, Panerai Sub 106, Muhle Glashutte Rasmus blue

Thanks for the advice. Unfortunately he only wants a local sale :( Maybe I'm out of luck. I know for Japan auction sites there are some services to order from abroad, but I guess they're unique to there. I guess for this I'd need to find someone in Hong Kong.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary123 View Post
    If you can demonstrate a sterling reputation, and if the seller has a sterling reputation such that you would buy him as a seller, you could join that forum so that you could pm him with the prospect of a remote transaction. I have done this with "sterling" sellers and things worked out fine. You would ask him to find out how he could mail it insured, possibly with tracking.

Thread Information