I want this Grand Seiko...but...
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: I want this Grand Seiko...but...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

I want this Grand Seiko...but...

It is apparently 13.4mm thick which seems excessive, especially given the style and modest 37mm case size.
    So, any owners care to comment on how it wears?

Alternatively, should I consider a used example of the previous model, the SBGR023? It is about 1mm thinner and I would also save some $. It looks identical but I would forfeit the display case-back and longer power reserve of the newer movement. I'm not aware of any other differences?

SBGR053

Last edited by GlennO; June 22nd, 2013 at 07:51.

Re: I want this Grand Seiko...but...

1mm is not that big of a deal. I'd go for the display back and power reserve, unless the price differential is a deal breaker.
    Gary123 and BusyTimmy like this.
    "The stuff that dreams are made of…" - RGM ‘801 EE Motor Barrel’

I'd definitely take the 1mm hit and go with the current one. There's more to the 9S65 update than a power reserve increase, plus it's nice to see it.

Alternatively, you could upgrade to the Hi-beat SBGH005:

It's slightly thinner (0.3 mm) but the increase in diameter will make it appear substantially thinner. Plus it's got a 9S85 in it.
    s.erickson87, TimeSaver and 9573 like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by mpalmer View Post
    1mm is not that big of a deal. I'd go for the display back and power reserve, unless the price differential is a deal breaker.
    Certainly 1mm doesn't sound much, but I thought it might be quite noticeable in the context of case thickness.

Quote Originally Posted by CitizenM View Post
    Alternatively, you could upgrade to the Hi-beat SBGH005:
    It's slightly thinner (0.3 mm) but the increase in diameter will make it appear substantially thinner. Plus it's got a 9S85 in it.
    The hi-beat is lovely, but the smaller 37mm case of the 053 is more preferable to me. Another option is the 36mm manual wind SBGW035. I love that watch and it's around 12mm thick, but I'm not convinced that I can do without a date function.

I don't have the thickness of old GSes memorized, but I'd also take a look into going vintage.

Because you mentioned size, I'd ask if you've given any thought to Citizen's The Citizen Automatic? The fit and finish race should be close and the more obvious pros and cons make things at least sort of interesting:

Cons:

Accuracy is -5 / +10
    Power Reserve is 42 hours
    0910 movement is a modified Premium Miyota movement vs. famous GS 9S. It's still an in-house movement so it might be worth seeing what experts think.

Pros:

Lighter: 121gm
    Thinness w/display case back: 10.9mm
    Price: Maybe $500 (USD) cheaper
    Duratect coating works like a charm
    Warranty: 10 years w/two free inspections
    WUS stealthiness rating would be off the charts!

Name:  Citizen Auto 2.jpg
Views: 1499
Size:  207.1 KB

Name:  Citizen Auto 3.jpg
Views: 1749
Size:  59.9 KB

Name:  Citizen Auto.jpg
Views: 1496
Size:  368.0 KB

GlennO, I don't have any hands on with that model, but fwiw, here's a few pics of my SBGR019, 39 mm and 13.2 mm thick. It's fine for me, don't know if it would be the same if the diameter was 37 mm. Good luck in your decision . . .
    Attached Images Attached Images

A.Lange & Sohne *anOrdain * Audemars Piguet * Blancpain * Cartier * Dornblueth & Sohne * Invicta * Jaeger-LeCoultre * Méraud * Rolex * Revolution Watch Company * Tiffany & Company * Tudor

"the deeper the roots, the higher the reach" - author unknown

Yesterday I was clever, so I wanted to change the world. Today I am wise, so I am changing myself. - Rumi

You know, if it'd be helpful, next week I'll head up to Timeless and take some photos of one with the same dimensions if there's one there. Pretty standard size though so chances are there'll be one. Would that be useful?

Quote Originally Posted by ljb187 View Post
    Because you mentioned size, I'd ask if you've given any thought to Citizen's The Citizen Automatic?
    TBH, although I've often considered The Citizen quartz, I've never really thought about the auto, but the 10mm thickness is excellent and the Duratect is a bonus. I know very little about them. I wonder if they have a double domed sapphire like the GS autos.

Edit: After a bit of research I've answered my own question. For anyone who may need this info in the future, there are currently two lines of The Citizen automatics. The CTY57 models have a domed sapphire and are 11.3mm thick whilst the NA0000 models have a flat sapphire and are 10.9mm thick. I don't know why the flat sapphire models are 20,000 yen more expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by drhr View Post
    GlennO, I don't have any hands on with that model, but fwiw, here's a few pics of my SBGR019, 39 mm and 13.2 mm thick. It's fine for me, don't know if it would be the same if the diameter was 37 mm. Good luck in your decision . . .
    Hafta say, that is a VERY cool looking model. The bracelet alone is amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by CitizenM View Post
    You know, if it'd be helpful, next week I'll head up to Timeless and take some photos of one with the same dimensions if there's one there. Pretty standard size though so chances are there'll be one. Would that be useful?
    Thanks. I can find photos, but if you'd like to try one on and post your impressions I'd appreciate it. I have a small wrist and prefer 36mm-38mm cases and have found that the thicker cases can be prone to top heaviness.
    Last edited by GlennO; June 24th, 2013 at 01:54.

This is a good question to ask! I have not heard members complaining much about the thickness of the Sbgr053 or 51 that I remember. But it would be great to get direct feedback. The older models do come up for sale though and are thinner.

All this GS talk is killing me : ( along with the lowered yen !
    i have overspent my budget for the year but might purchase a GS ( Sbgr051 ; ) next year !
    Gary123 likes this.
    Omega Speedmaster Professional, 3570.5....!
    The one and only MoonWatch!!
    Omega 2220.8 SMP Luv it!
    MM300, Iconic Seiko Diver
    Doxa 1200t Pro Luv it!!!!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information