I want to be a watch designer or start a watch company.

Thread: I want to be a watch designer or start a watch company.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

I want to be a watch designer or start a watch company.

Hello everyone. I'm new here and have a passion for good design, especially good watch design. I have spent some time designing my first watch... right now it exists only as a digital file. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get a watch company started, or perhaps design for a watch company? Any help is much appreciated.

Here's my first design: Updated with a Power Reserve design

Last edited by deluxebrand; March 8th, 2011 at 01:31.

Re: I want to be a watch designer or start a watch company.

Nice Design! Clean and toolish, modern and sporty. Maybe you should connect with this guy:
    Mooren Watch. He wants to start a watch company too.
    Too many watches, not enough wrists.

"Watches tie people to the celestial clockwork... but people have been encouraged by their clocks to ignore the daily and seasonal cycles and to pretend that there is nothing to contend with but metronome-paced linear time. We appear to have caged the sun inside a machine." Michael Young, The Metronomic Society, p. 204

You'll need very deep pockets and very thick skin.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Banned

Know how to make a small fortune in the watch business? Start with a large one.

ba - dum - tsh!

Quote Originally Posted by ulackfocus View Post
    Know how to make a small fortune in the watch business? Start with a large one.
    That's the joke out here in wine country too, about starting a winery; and for some dumb reason I make wine. My answer when people ask me if I plan to start a professional winery: "I would rather spend money on a hobby than lose money on a business." But then again, my day job is music so who am I kidding?

"Watches tie people to the celestial clockwork... but people have been encouraged by their clocks to ignore the daily and seasonal cycles and to pretend that there is nothing to contend with but metronome-paced linear time. We appear to have caged the sun inside a machine." Michael Young, The Metronomic Society, p. 204

skywatch... my philosophy has always been have a good time... do something you enjoy, and worry about the money later.

Banned

About the design: You forgot the "1".

About you starting a watch company: Do not quit your day job.

Quote Originally Posted by deluxebrand View Post
    skywatch... my philosophy has always been have a good time... do something you enjoy, and worry about the money later.
    Similar ideas for me - and with a philosophy like that you are likely to get good at what you do because you love it. Of course, it never hurts to have a safety net. Decades ago, when it got more obvious that I was becoming a professional recording artist, my mom would always say, "well, you gotta eat." (cue worried motherly expression...) Which might explain why I always have trouble losing weight now... see what you did to me, mom?

Hi Deluxebrand, first I would like to say: '' welcome to WUS! ''. It takes a lot of guts(and cash or good contacts) to take a dream and bring it to reality. Starting a new company, no matter what it is, is risky. If you feel that you have what it takes to get in the jungle, go ahead! It will not be long before life tells you if you were right or wrong.

About your design, I have to say that the first time a saw your drawing, I honestly thought I was looking at a Dievas watch add. I think that you have original elements though, i like Military style watches and the crown at 2 O'clock is a nice detail. I've seen that only on Russian watches so far.

With a lot of determinations, talent and vision, people accomplish amazing things. If you can master these three elements, you will be successful, JMHO.

I wish you best of luck!
    ~ Daniel ~

Thanks for all the comments... I know staring companies is difficult, I have started a few over the years... Note: I have updated the design with a Power Reserve version... and added back the "1"

Tor

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread Information