Iconic Moonphase Watch
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Iconic Moonphase Watch

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Iconic Moonphase Watch

We have numerous watches whose design has stood the test of time, in continuous production for at least a few decades and with only very minor changes over the years. We have iconic dive watches like the Rolex Submariner and the Longines Legend Diver; and iconic chronographs such as the Omega Speedmaster and the Breitling Navitimer. But do we have such a thing as the iconic watch with a moonphase function?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    IG: mrwatchusername

Main Stable: -

Breguet Type XX Transatlantique
    Rolex Datejust
    Rolex Milgauss
    Omega Speedmaster Professional
    Omega Seamaster Professional
    Omega Constellation Quartz
    Jeanrichard Aquascope Hokusai
    Seiko Diver's Automatic

Based in South east asia, travelling between

Re: Iconic Moonphase Watch

W.A.S. Watch Acquisition Syndrome Patient.

JLC MUT Moon.
    CitizenM likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

So right....Nothing really Iconic in a Moon phase I think it has to do with popularity.(not a popular function)
    Any watches posted may be seen as gifts,borrowed or found property and not as personal property of Little Big Feather.

Of course, we do have an iconic moon phase watch. It's design remained same for almost 30 years. And it has tons of other complications, such as full perpetual calendar, chrono, 7 days power reserve, double moon phase (showing the moon phase for Northern & Southern hemispheres)...

The IWC Portuguese perpetual calendar

http://www.iwc.com/en/collection/portuguese/IW5032/

Its price tag however makes me cry, whenever I do remember this watch.

Sent from my HUAWEI P6-U06 using Tapatalk

Another picture, which you can see the chrono hands, at 9 and 12 o'clock subdials.

This watch has always been my holy grail. Such a beautiful watchmakers engineering masterpiece.

Last edited by BarisKiris; May 12th, 2014 at 23:46.

Quote Originally Posted by dsabinojr View Post
    We have numerous watches whose design has stood the test of time, in continuous production for at least a few decades and with only very minor changes over the years. We have iconic dive watches like the Rolex Submariner and the Longines Legend Diver; and iconic chronographs such as the Omega Speedmaster and the Breitling Navitimer. But do we have such a thing as the iconic watch with a moonphase function?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    It really does not make much sense to call those designs icons or iconic. If you are saying they are representative symbols of dive watches, chronographs or moon phase watches there are plenty of others that meet that criteria. If you are using iconic to mean the first or most popular then why not say it. Those are popular designs that may have been originated by one company but that's about it.
    Last edited by John MS; May 12th, 2014 at 22:23.

Quote Originally Posted by John MS View Post
    It really does not make much sense to call those designs icons or iconic. If you are saying they are representative symbols of dive watches, chronographs or moon phase watches there are plenty of others that meet that criteria. If you are using iconic to mean the first or most popular then why not say it. Those are popular designs that may have been originated by one company but that's about it.
    My query is as I put it, a watch with the moonphase function that has been around for a while and has remained relatively unchanged in its design throughout the years, that it has been around for a while would suggest that it is popular or maybe even the most popular, but not necessarily the first. I suppose the inspiration behind my query are those lists of iconic watches that come out from time to time that often lists out dive watches, chronographs, dress watches etc but never a watch with a moonphase function.

So if you asked the WUS community what they thought was the iconic chronograph, I would not be surprised if many said the Omega Speedmaster, or for a dive watch - the Rolex Submariner. Therefore, I wonder if there is such a thing as an iconic watch with a moonphase complication. Based on the responses so far, there doesn't appear to be a clear consensus on the matter, but there are 2 votes for the IWC Perpetual Calendar above.
    BarisKiris likes this.
    IG: mrwatchusername

Main Stable: -

Breguet Type XX Transatlantique
    Rolex Datejust
    Rolex Milgauss
    Omega Speedmaster Professional
    Omega Seamaster Professional
    Omega Constellation Quartz
    Jeanrichard Aquascope Hokusai
    Seiko Diver's Automatic

another vote for the JLC MUT Moonphase. That is one watch that everyone recognizes.
    :)

14060m, 16200, Pam48, AT8500, El Primero 1969, Speedy FOIS, Antea KS, Orion Minimatik, ST8000SA Tourbillon, Zeppelin 7618-1

want: ALS Saxonia, PP Nautilus,

It's got to be one from Breguet, right? Only problem is that they have used it in so many nice watches, it's tough to pick one. At least I can't.

CitizenM likes this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information