Iconic non-European Chronograph?
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Iconic non-European Chronograph?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Iconic non-European Chronograph?

My sub-collection of non-European watches, needs a chronograph watch. Any ideas?

I've already got quite a few Seikos in the sub-collection, so extra points for non-Seiko recommendations!

Quote Originally Posted by KingQuartz View Post
    My sub-collection of non-European watches, needs a chronograph watch. Any ideas?

I've already got quite a few Seikos in the sub-collection, so extra points for non-Seiko recommendations!
    Seagull 1963 (pilot re-issue)
    Attached Images Attached Images

ffritz, ihutch1942, Elmero and 3 others like this.
    Core Collection:
    H. Moser & Cie Venture Small Seconds 2327-0402, Omega Aqua Terra 231.53.39.21.06.002, JLC Reverso Flyback Chrono 255.182, JLC Reverso Grande Taille 270.3.62, Rolex OP 1966 1002, Ulysee Nardin Perpetual GMT 321-22, Longines Conquest 1959, Hamilton Electric Spectra 1957, Citizen AQ 4020–54Y, Bulova Accutron Astronaut

Re: Iconic non-European Chronograph?

+1 for seagull!!!

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Carmen de apicala, Col / Cayuse Flats, BC

Not sure if we can call the SeaGull iconic but, the 6139-60XX certainly are.
    Attached Images Attached Images

The current rotation: Orologi Calamai G50 MkIII, Omega Speedmaster 3510-50, Omega Dynamic series III, Omega Aqua Terra 2504.80, Omega Seamaster 212.30.41, MkII Key West , Eterna - Matic 1948 Chronometre, Tudor BB36 79500, Marathon TSAR medium, Pro Trek PRW3000-2,

Is vintage okay? I have two Seiko’s with the 7016 movement that I love. But if you’re looking non-Seiko I recently learned of the Citizen with the 8110 movement. These offer a lot of features for the cost: vertical clutch, column wheel, Flyback, automatic, quickset day and date...
    As for contemporary or new non-European, all I can think of is the Seagull already mentioned. I love chronographs but I admit outside the Seagull and Grand Seiko, I don’t know much about non-European examples.
    I hope to learn from the responses here!
    rfortson likes this.

+1 on the Citizen 8110A & 8100a movements. Seiko was 1st out of the gate w/the 6139, but Citizen was able to follow up w/improvements & innovations of their own (& in a smaller package).

A good article can be found on the Sweephand blog: https://sweep-hand.org/citizens-vintage-chronographs/ .

Quote Originally Posted by Time Exposure View Post
    Is vintage okay? I have two Seiko’s with the 7016 movement that I love. But if you’re looking non-Seiko I recently learned of the Citizen with the 8110 movement. These offer a lot of features for the cost: vertical clutch, column wheel, Flyback, automatic, quickset day and date...
    . . .
    ------------------------------------

(Almost) every watch a tool watch.

OP, are you counting vintage Soviet-era watches as European?

Name:  Poljot-Okean.jpg
Views: 26
Size:  52.4 KB
    (borrowed from internet seller)
    woiter and rfortson like this.

Does Hamilton count? I think they were founded in the US. If so, in my opinion, the Intramatic Chronograph is fairly iconic.

Strela 'lost in space'. Strela as a brand has ties to the Russian space exploration efforts from the 50s and 60s. This watch in particular is a reinterpretation of the watch worn during the very first spacewalk in the 60s

Now the question is, do you consider Russian watches as non-european? The second consideration is the movement which is a functional but unexciting Seiko meca Quartz. It certainly looks pretty and has an interesting backstory. If you consider it iconic is something you will have to decide for yourself.

(Picture from Hodinkee)
    Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Glencoe View Post
    Does Hamilton count? I think they were founded in the US. If so, in my opinion, the Intramatic Chronograph is fairly iconic.
    Was thinking the same thing. Either Russian or American Chronographs could make for a nice addition.

I wonder though, outside of Europe, Russian, China, Japan and the US if there are any other noteworthy brands with iconic chronographs?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information